Richard and Judy 2008

Michelle

The 2008 list has been announced, and some look quite interesting. Does anyone know any more about them?

Blood River by Tim Butcher

A Quiet Belief In Angels by RJ Ellory

Then We Came To The End by Joshua Ferris

Notes From An Exhibition by Patrick Gale

The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

The Rose of Sebastopol by Katharine McMahon

Random Acts of Heroic Love by Danny Scheinmann

Visible World by Mark Slouka

Funnily enough today I tried to find this list on the internet for a reader that came into the library. I could only come up with the Summer Read (which she was happy with) but when I went for my break later I picked up a copy of The Bookseller and guess what was in there.

I can personally recommend A Thousand Splendid Suns - this is on permanent reservation at the library along with The Kite Runner. Mister Pip is on my 'to read' list from this year and will probably be one of the first I read in 2008 - I had a thought today that if it is on Richard and Judy's list then it may appear in Tescos for

On the Dutch bookforum where I also post there was a group read for Random Acts of Heroic Love by Danny Scheinman. I didn't read it myself, but most readers were enthusiastic about this book. The comparison to Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier, maybe known to some of you, was made very often.

There are only two on the list that really grab my fancy:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

It's the same with all the R&J book club selections for me - they only ever select a couple that appeal to me in any way.

On the Dutch bookforum where I also post there was a group read for Random Acts of Heroic Love by Danny Scheinman. I didn't read it myself, but most readers were enthusiastic about this book. The comparison to Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier, maybe known to some of you, was made very often.

I read Cold Mountain last year, but have not read the other book. What is the comparison about?

• 3 weeks later...

I have got out of the library:

Mister Pip

Then we cam to the end

I have reserved (i have put where i am on the waiting list too)

Notes from an exhibition 2/9

Thousand splendid suns 16/19

Visable World 1/5

Some of the books are not what i would i normally read but i am trying to expand my genres and try new styles