Your Book Activity - June 2021

Raven

Forum software causing a few problems with an edit - Yay!

Two posts from Athena and Marie H below!

7 hours ago, Athena said:

It seems it is now June so I thought I'd make a June (2021) topic. How are you all today? What are you currently reading? Or what book(s) have you bought/borrowed recently?

I may have overscheduled myself as I'm currently reading two books together with other people, am starting a third with someone else at some point, and am reading a 4th book with a friend in a bit too, then am reading 2 books on my own. So, I'm reading A Column of Fire by Ken Follett, book 3 in the Kingsbridge series, this month, together with a friend. I started today but have just read the prologue and then thought I should browse BCF so here we are haha. I also started War and Peace by Leo Tolsoy, which I am reading together with a group of people. We are taking June, July and August to read it. I have both an English copy and a Dutch one (called Oorlog & Vrede), and so far am reading both because it helps with reading comprehension (as neither one is perfect on their own tbh). I finished reading Inkspell last week, by Cornelia Funke, book 2 in the Inkheart trilogy, that I'm reading together with someone else. I don't know when she wants to start reading book 3 InkDeath, but I expect we will start it soon-ish. Then next week a friend and I will be reading a Death in Paradise book, book 1 called A Mediation on Murder by Robert Thorogood. It will be a re-read for me. And then on my own I really want to read Assassin's Quest, book 3 in The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb, I really loved books 1 and 2. And I started reading The Summer of Jordi Perez (and the Best Burger in Los Angeles) last night, by Amy Spalding. Well, we'll see how things go.

What are you reading? (that you haven't already posted about in the May 2021 topic).

2 hours ago, Marie H said:

Reading or listening at the mo. are

32% of Lies Sleeping - Ben Aaronovitch 

20% of House of Trelawney by Hannah Rothschild 

20% of The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles #1) by Elizabeth Jane Howard

• Athena pinned this topic
14 hours ago, poppy said:
Loved the Cazalet series, Marie. Let me know how you get on :)

Only just the first two chapters, but it’s enjoyable so far. Only just noticed 606 pages in the Kindle, so may take some time! :lol:

On 02/06/2021 at 1:54 PM, Raven said:

Started reading Dune last night. 

Read for quite a while, so I was disappointed when my Kindle informed me I had only managed 5%...

It’s quite a long one if memory serves me correctly. I cheated a little and listened to the audiobook and that is 21 hours long. 

I’m staring two new books. First, the non-fiction choice Brilliant Orange by David Winner about Dutch football. Second, the fiction choice The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty. 

I have finished The Other Boleyn Girl. I really enjoyed this as much as I have the rest of the series. It was very entertaining but of course we do not know how accurate some of the plot was. I guess that is the benefit of historical fiction. One of the things, however I did not like (I will put this in spoilers even though most will know about it as this is known in history) but as not to spoil the story of the book itself

Spoiler

I did not like how blunt George's death was. It just happened. There was no real build up to it. It is hard for me to explain but I felt he deserved a little more than "that next day my brother was beheaded" 

I cannot wait to read the next in the series. I would love to read from Jane Parker's POV. 

I am currently reading three books at the moment 

A Clash Of Kings by George R R Martin.

Only a few chapters in but very good so far! 

The others on my currently reading list but I haven't quite started yet are : Emma by Jane Austen and The Chocolate Lovers Club by Carole Matthews. 

I did read on Philippa Gregory's website that she had very little to go on fact wise for TOBG, even she was surprised to find that Mary Boleyn existed and it's not clear whether Mary was older or younger than Anne.  I really enjoyed this book too.  The Boleyn parents don't come out of it very well do they!

6 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I did read on Philippa Gregory's website that she had very little to go on fact wise for TOBG, even she was surprised to find that Mary Boleyn existed and it's not clear whether Mary was older or younger than Anne.  I really enjoyed this book too.  The Boleyn parents don't come out of it very well do they!

Really? I knew Anne had a sister who was Henry's mistress when I was about 14. OK, I was a history nut but I wasn't that clever and certainly not obsessed with the Tudors so didn't read an awful lot about them.

Read 60% of Lies Sleeping by Ben Aaronovitch. Having difficulty getting into this book, and I think that the plots are many, and they are weaving together, but this book is the least exciting of the series so far, for me.

I just finished The Wizard of EarthSea. Enjoyable read. I put book 2 of the series on hold for my kindle at the library. Should receive it shortly as I am #1 on the hold list.

I also have book #17 of the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny on hold and a book by Karin Slaughter on hold at the library. Both books have not actually been released yet but I got my holds in early and am very low on the hold list. Both Louse Penny and Karin Slaughter are very good writers. I have read every one of their books to my knowledge. If you haven't read any books by Louise Penny I strongly recommend them to you. Also recommend that they be read in sequence, a must.

On 11/06/2021 at 1:37 AM, muggle not said:

I just finished The Wizard of EarthSea. Enjoyable read. I put book 2 of the series on hold for my kindle at the library. Should receive it shortly as I am #1 on the hold list.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I hope you get book 2 in soon and that it is an enjoyable read for you also :).

I'm reading A Column of Fire by Ken Follett this month, with a friend, we read a chapter a day. I also started Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke, another friend and I read that together, 100 pages a week (ish). I re-read A Meditation on Murder by Robert Thorogood (Death in Paradise 1), which I finished on Thursday, then I read a Dutch children's book called Mees Kees 2: Op de kast by Mirjam Mous (ill. Rick de Haas), which I finished (it was 85 pages). Today then I will read another chapter in A Column of Fire, and I hope to read something else.

6 hours ago, Athena said:

started Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

I’ve seen the movie of Inkheart, and it was great. Hope that Inkdeath is good too.:)

On 02/06/2021 at 2:54 PM, Raven said:

Started reading Dune last night. 

Read for quite a while, so I was disappointed when my Kindle informed me I had only managed 5%...

How are you getting on with it? I'm thinking that it might be time for a re-read.

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I'm reading Narcissus and Goldmund, Hermann Hesse. 

That's another one I read in my teens, I bought it because the Penguin edition of the time had the most evocative cover, a single ruined arch in a landscape (quite a well known painting I think). I know I enjoyed it but I'm sorry to admit that I can remember much more about the cover than I can about the content.

It was time to start a new book this afternoon and I picked up Homesick: Why I Live in a Shed by Catrina Davies.

I finished The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty earlier in the day. I’ll post some further thought later but I felt a bit disappointed by the ending.