Your Book Activity - June 2021

Raven

Finished Ben Aaronovitch Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London #7)
The book was okay, but this was a slog. It’s just seemed it would have been better pared down. Not the best of the series, but I hope #8 will be better.

Starting The Strings Murder (Frey & McGray #1) by Oscar de Muriel Edit: This is the Audible version, so I’m read Cogheart by Peter Bunzl.

Edited by Marie H
Addition

Reading 7% of Cogheart by Peter Buntzl.

It’s definitely a children’s book, and very similar to the style of Robin Stevens‘ Jolly Foul Play series, but good.

I am currently reading The Secret By The Lake by Louise Douglas. I have read a previous book by the same author which I enjoyed so thought I’d give this one a go. 

A nanny returns to help out a family whose husband has recently been killed. The mum and child are left behind and are struggling to cope. They lose their house in France and have to return to the mum’s childhood home in England, but the childhood home has lots of family secrets and appears to be haunted by unwanted ghosts from the past.

I am also enjoying this and think the author conjures up the creepy, uneasy atmosphere very well with a likeable main character.

Book Activity? I have been lost in a reading desert! My reading mojo abandoned me, but I glimpse an occasional page / e-page fluttering at me with reading nudges, so an oasis is on my horizon. 

I will be fine, unless I allow a panic to creep in. *Deep breathes* 

15 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Book Activity? I have been lost in a reading desert! My reading mojo abandoned me, but I glimpse an occasional page / e-page fluttering at me with reading nudges, so an oasis is on my horizon. 

Oh Chrissy :empathy: Can you do your 'reading favourite comfort books' like you've done in the past?

I've been watching the old 'Last of the Summer Wine' TV series so decided to read more about the actors. I found an ebook by the same name, available from the library. It's the story behind the longest-running comedy series, a total of 37 years.

5 hours ago, poppy said:

Oh Chrissy :empathy: Can you do your 'reading favourite comfort books' like you've done in the past?

I've been watching the old 'Last of the Summer Wine' TV series so decided to read more about the actors. I found an ebook by the same name, available from the library. It's the story behind the longest-running comedy series, a total of 37 years.

I tried, but it hasn't done it for me! My theory is that it's because I have been enjoying a tooth abscess over the past week or so. The offender has now been

removed. Tooth out - book in, hopefully. I will start rummaging on my kindle and bookshelves in he next day or two. If I do it too soon I may scare the horses. :D

It's great when you enjoy something, and it sparks an interest or thought, and then you can go off on a tangent and read more on it. 

7 hours ago, Chrissy said:

I tried, but it hasn't done it for me! My theory is that it's because I have been enjoying a tooth abscess over the past week or so. The offender has now been

removed. Tooth out - book in, hopefully. I will start rummaging on my kindle and bookshelves in he next day or two. If I do it too soon I may scare the horses. :D

No wonder then! Tooth abscesses are the absolute worst! You don't want to do anything when you have a tooth abscess (except bite someone, especially if the dentist tells you to wait and see if it settles down :motz: ).  

I hope you find something specially enjoyable to read now as compensation for all your suffering :hug:

On 25/06/2021 at 3:09 PM, Marie H said:

Reading Cogheart by Peter Bunzl - moody, creepy characters galore. I love it! :)

Really tempted by this after you bought it up! 

On 26/06/2021 at 3:15 PM, Chrissy said:

My theory is that it's because I have been enjoying a tooth abscess over the past week or so. The offender has now been

removed. Tooth out - book in, hopefully.

Oh no! I’m glad it’s sorted now! Fingers crossed you’ll enjoy loads of reading in the next few days :lol:

I’m still working my way slowly through The Essex Serpent. I can’t wait for all the moving chaos to be done so I can spend a whole evening reading! 

On 6/25/2021 at 6:30 PM, Chrissy said:

On 6/26/2021 at 4:15 PM, Chrissy said:

It's great when you enjoy something, and it sparks an interest or thought, and then you can go off on a tangent and read more on it. 

Big hugs to you Chrissy :hug:, I hope you will feel better soon :empathy:! And that it will lead to more reading :).

I've been in a bit of a reading slump myself, after DNFing War and Peace in the first week of this month. I am reading a chapter in A Column of Fire by Ken Follett each day with my friend (see the first post in this thread), it's the 28th here today so 3 chapters / 3 days of reading left and then we will have finished it (despite my slump it has been really nice to read a chapter of this each day, the writing makes me really interested in the characters). Inkdeath was on pause for a week while the friend I'm reading that with, caught up. We should continue with it again soon. I'm also reading Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb which I have been reading since.. somewhere in the second half of May.

Feeling much more like myself and have bought The Plague by Albert Camus, and Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke. Over the last year I have seen a few Camus quotes that have intrigued me, so I decided perhaps I should read something proper by him. 

On 6/13/2021 at 3:43 PM, France said:

How are you getting on with it? I'm thinking that it might be time for a re-read.

Sorry, France, not sure how I missed this, but in answer to your question I'm not! (at the moment...).

I started another book around the same time, based on something [non-fiction] that I've been watching on YouTube, and as I am nearly at the end of the YouTube series I've been concentrating on finishing the associated book.

I fully intend to pick up Dune again, however!

On 26/06/2021 at 11:03 PM, poppy said:

No wonder then! Tooth abscesses are the absolute worst! You don't want to do anything when you have a tooth abscess (except bite someone, especially if the dentist tells you to wait and see if it settles down :motz: ).  I hope you find something specially enjoyable to read now as compensation for all your suffering :hug:

I have kept the panic at bay for not having a book on the go by doing lots of sewing (adjusting of clothes, patching up holes etc) which has been satisfying. I feel a reading urge coming on, so I will see how we go some time today. :)

On 27/06/2021 at 3:21 PM, Hayley said:

Oh no! I’m glad it’s sorted now! Fingers crossed you’ll enjoy loads of reading in the next few days :lol:

I got quite worked up about the extraction, which is very unlike me. All was over and done with in minutes! Feeling so much better now, so I say "Bring it on!" to my reading mojo!

On 28/06/2021 at 6:37 AM, Athena said:

Big hugs to you Chrissy :hug:, I hope you will feel better soon :empathy:! And that it will lead to more reading :).

Thank you - hugs always welcome! And the same to you. x

12 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

The Plague is superb.

That is so good to hear lunababymoonchild,  I was intrigued by the synopsis. 

8 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Sorry to hear about the reading slumps going on. Really dislike that feeling! Hopefully this will pass soon for you ladies.

I have been reading short stories from https://www.tor.com/

The slump feels like it is moving on! I have bookmarked the tor website to rummage around on later. Thank you for the link. 

• Athena unpinned this topic