Paper versus Electronic

lunababymoonchild

The research is still in the eary stages with this subject and I wonder if there is another thing at work here. Do people who do the majority of their reading on a Kindle for example also spend a lot time reading and using other screens such as computer screens? Computers, and more specifically mobile phones have changed the way our brains work so a lower comprehension may be down to time spent with screens as a whole rather than a e-reader vs paper book effect. I had a quick browse through the paper linked in the article and it is a meta-analysis of "digital vs paper" and doesn't use "e-reader vs paper" data only. This isn't to say that it is invalid but that the Bloomberg headline is misleading. Most of the data sources used in the analysis are "computers, tablets, and cell-phones" vs paper so more research needs to be done using e-readers vs paper books. It is still a very interesting area though I highly recommend a book by one of the authors mentioned in the article, The Shallows by Nicholas Carr.