Westerns

KEV67

I think The Virginian might be a Western that is not very violent. I don't know for sure, but I doubt there will be any wars with Indians or Mexicans in this. I said previously Owen Wister knew more about horses than a modern author likely would. The latest chapter I read was dedicated to an eccentric hen. However, I think her behaviour was probably a bit fictionalised as I doubt a hen would try adopt another bird's chicks because chicks imprint on the first living thing they see, which is usually it's mother. Could be wrong though. Still, I doubt Cormac McCarthy or Larry McMurtry would write about a hen for a whole chapter.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished reading The Virginian. It is much less violent than a modern Western. It is actually more a romance, but from a male POV. The Virginian gets his schoolmarm by the end, although she is very difficult to win. I do not think that is a spoiler. There is a bit of violence towards the end. There is a bit of politics as well. Owen Wister did not think God created all men equal.