This is the sixth book in the Poldark series.  The four swans of the title are the ladies in Ross Poldark's life, Demelza Poldark (his wife), Elizabeth Warleggan (his first love), Caroline Enys (his friend's/doctor's wife) and Morwenna Chynoweth (Elizabeth's cousin and unhappy wife of the vicar). The book is based around their lives.

It's set in Cornwall, 1795-1799 and times are hard, especially for the working class. Ross is, however, doing fairly well and is elected to Parliament but a young Naval officer develops a crush on his wife Demelza and he wonders if she stays faithful but would not blame her if she doesn't.  George Warleggan - his sworn enemy and husband of Elizabeth Warleggan - is also elected to Parliament.  Elizabeth confronts George about his continued suspicions that their son Valentine is actually Ross' son and Morwenna gives birth to a son but is desperately unhappy as a result of her husband's marital demands.  Until he has sex with her 14 year old sister. Caroline, meanwhile is desperately worried about her husband, Dwight, who was held prisoner in France and met with much deprivation and still hasn't recovered mentally or physically but is determined to keep working.

I'm working my way through these and thoroughly enjoying them all. It isn't as soap opera as the above makes it sound (my rather inept reviewing attempt there), it's very well written and the sexual encounters are written in such a way as to make it clear what's happening but not in a graphic/detailed way - which is rather refreshing, to be honest.

Recommended.

I love this series - as you say they're very well written and gripping, although book 8 is a bit of a blip, but then they pick up again.  Just got one more to read..... picking one of  these up is like meeting up again with old friends!

25 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

I love this series - as you say they're very well written and gripping, although book 8 is a bit of a blip, but then they pick up again.  Just got one more to read..... picking one of  these up is like meeting up again with old friends!

It is.  I'm reading them at one a year but I'll need to read more than that to stay connected.

One of my favourite series, although I'm not sure if I read the last two (it's been a while ). I agree with your preference for encounters not being too graphic, Luna. It's my only criticism of Jodi Taylor's Frogmorton series where it felt so out of place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 4:25 AM, poppy said:

One of my favourite series, although I'm not sure if I read the last two (it's been a while ). I agree with your preference for encounters not being too graphic, Luna. It's my only criticism of Jodi Taylor's Frogmorton series where it felt so out of place.

Would it be something that I would like, or not? I need a series that I can go to now and then. Or is there another book series that you would recommend to me.

7 hours ago, muggle not said:

Would it be something that I would like, or not? I need a series that I can go to now and then. Or is there another book series that you would recommend to me.

Quite possibly, Muggle. It wouldn't hurt to try the first one and see if you like it. Winston Graham writes very well.

Another series I would highly recommend is A Horseman Riding By by R F Delderfield.

Here is a description from Goodreads ...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35492538-a-horseman-riding-by

I have probably read this series at least three times, I enjoyed it so much.

14 hours ago, Madeleine said:

If you like family sagas, with a bit of historical background thrown in (the later books concentrate quite a bit on the Napoleonic wars) then it's a great read.

14 hours ago, poppy said:

Quite possibly, Muggle. It wouldn't hurt to try the first one and see if you like it. Winston Graham writes very well.

Another series I would highly recommend is A Horseman Riding By by R F Delderfield.

Thanks to both of you. I will check out our library for Poldark and Horseman.

I need to complete The Pickwick papers first. :)

23 hours ago, poppy said:

I can second that, the Poldark books are very well written.

I remember A Horseman riding by being on the telly, they did a few of Delderfield's books in the 70s.