Your Book Activity - May 2021

I've just finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and today I have been reading The Radleys by Matt Haig

I'm also listening to The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Game Of Thrones by George R R Martin. 4 stars.

I started this in February and just finished it yesterday evening. I had almost two months of not reading so it took me a little over 1 month to complete, I think. Really enjoyed this much more than I thought. Bare in mind it took my partner a while to get me to watch the show. Cannot wait to get into the 2nd book. 

Continuing with The Other Boleyn Girl. I am loving this so far. Haven't been giving it my full attention with reading GOT. 

Finished Charles Morris's little but elegant volume The Screaming Sky - as ever Little Toller's production values are excellent.  A bit over elaborate in his writing at times for my taste but a still excellent book about one of his, and my, passions - swifts.  The prose may get a wee bit purple at times (especially early on), but it was still a beautiful and informative read, which I read in two sittings, and will go back to for sure.  Now moved on to Sylvia Townsend-Warner's novel Lolly Willowes.

On 27/05/2021 at 7:33 AM, willoyd said:

Now moved on to Sylvia Townsend-Warner's novel Lolly Willowes.

I bought the Kindle version recently, so it will be interesting on your opinion on this book.

On 28/05/2021 at 4:49 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

Just bought The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula Le Guin on paper

I read the first three and put off the last one because I'll be sad when there's no more to read! 

I'm still not even half way through The Essex Serpent because I thought it would be a good idea to take on a huge freelance job on top of the jobs I'm already doing and moving house... lessons have been learnt :blush:. Hoping I'll be able to make up for it in the June read-a-thon! 

On 28/05/2021 at 11:35 PM, Raven said:

Another one I have on my Kindle.

I will read it one day.

Probably!

Possibly?

:lol: Yup, me too….

I just put A Wizard of Earthsea on hold at the library. The library has 4 kindle copies and I am no. 4 on the hold list. I should get the book soon. Dumb question but I assume the books should be read in sequence. One of the other books in the series is currently available to borrow.

On 5/10/2021 at 3:12 AM, Marie H said:

I wouldn’t dare….😁

Listening Audible House of Trelawney by Hannah Rothschild again.
Started listening sometime last year, but the characters seemed unreal, so I only managed 20% then. Now I’ve got into it; though the characters are still too flighty, for me. The style of the book is very like Nancy Mitford’s The Pursuit of Love and Dodie Smith’s I Captured the Castle, with bohemian and impoverished families in crumbling castle/estate. But in the present time.

Just finished this, Marie. I found the characters inconsistent and rather unbelievable. I got particularly annoyed with Blaze's on/off relationship with Joshua. They carried on like a couple of juveniles rather than a middle-aged couple. It has very good reviews, described as witty and comic but I can't say it struck me as particularly humorous. It was OK but not memorable.

I have read the first 4 books in the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin several times (I have them in an omnibus called The Earthsea Quartet). I would recommend reading them in order, as I think the world will make more sense that way. They are sort of separate stories with some of the same characters some years later (from what I remember), but I think it'll be easiest if you start with book 1, if you can. I have yet to read books 5 and 6 in the series, though when I eventually do I will re-read the first 4 again first.

• Athena unpinned this topic
On 01/06/2021 at 9:41 AM, poppy said:

Just finished this, Marie. I found the characters inconsistent and rather unbelievable. I got particularly annoyed with Blaze's on/off relationship with Joshua. They carried on like a couple of juveniles rather than a middle-aged couple. It has very good reviews, described as witty and comic but I can't say it struck me as particularly humorous. It was OK but not memorable.

Poppy, sorry I missed this post earlier. Yes, I thought this book would be good, at the beginning, but it’s hasn’t been that way :(. The characters are either dull or hideous caricatures, the plots seem over the top, most of the time. I’m about half way, so listening to it is a chore, but I will finish it. Doggedly….:rolleyes: 

17 hours ago, Marie H said:

Poppy, sorry I missed this post earlier. Yes, I thought this book would be good, at the beginning, but it’s hasn’t been that way :(. The characters are either dull or hideous caricatures, the plots seem over the top, most of the time. I’m about half way, so listening to it is a chore, but I will finish it. Doggedly….:rolleyes: 

I'm really glad I'm not alone in my assessment. I sometimes think I'm getting over critical in my old age :lol: It started well but went downhill from there. At least you can do other things while you listen :cool: