The Wee Free Men: A Tiffany Aching Novel (Discworld Novels)

The Wee Free Men: A Tiffany Aching Novel (Discworld Novels) is the first in a series of five Discworld novels aimed at 9 -12 year olds. 

Tiffany wants to be a witch but doesn't know how to learn.  Her brother gets kidnapped and Tiffany embarks on an adventure to get him back. 

I normally enjoy children's fiction and have been eager to read Terry Pratchett for a while.  I didn't dislike this book and finished it but do not know what all the fuss is about. Perhaps I need to read a book aimed at grown-ups.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

• 4 weeks later...

The series does get better! The first one felt a little muddled in parts, almost uncertain who the reader would actually be. 

The later books establish themselves better. Tiffany herself becomes a more likeable character, and the story develops well. If the mood grabs you, I would perhaps give the second book (A Hat Full Of Sky) a try. :smile:

Edited by Chrissy

36 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

The series does get better! The first one felt a little muddled in parts, almost uncertain who the reader would actually be. 

The later books establish themselves better. Tiffany herself becomes a more likeable character, and the story develops well. If the mood grabs you, I would perhaps give the second book (A Hat Full Of Sky) a try. :smile:

Thanks for that I'll give it a try. By complete coincidence my father read the whole lot of them, one after the other, so it should be in the house somewhere.

I absolutely loved this book (I think I was hooked from that early moment with the monster and the frying pan...) and it started me off on Terry Pratchett. I was about 13 when I read it, so I might find more issues with it now, but I read the other Tiffany Aching books a lot later so I'd happily second Chrissy's recommendation to try those. If this one put you off though, maybe try one of the Discworld books in the Witches series (the first one is Equal Rites) as they have a lot of similarities but are for adults :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 11:04 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

I normally enjoy children's fiction and have been eager to read Terry Pratchett for a while.  I didn't dislike this book and finished it but do not know what all the fuss is about. Perhaps I need to read a book aimed at grown-ups.

Missed this!

As others have said, it might help if you are more familiar with the Discworld. 

Although Wee Free Men is the first in a series of novels aimed at a younger audience, Pratchett uses some established characters from his main novels in them and although you don't need to have read the other books first, you will have a better idea of the set up if you do.

As Hayley said, the first of Pratchett's Witches books is Equal Rites, but good though that is - I'm reading it again now! - I would suggest skipping forward one to Wyrd Sisters

If you are looking for a general introduction I would suggest Guards! Guards! which is basically a detective story (with dragons!)

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Missed this!

As others have said, it might help if you are more familiar with the Discworld. 

Although Wee Free Men is the first in a series of novels aimed at a younger audience, Pratchett uses some established characters from his main novels in them and although you don't need to have read the other books first, you will have a better idea of the set up if you do.

As Hayley said, the first of Pratchett's Witches books is Equal Rites, but good though that is - I'm reading it again now! - I would suggest skipping forward one to Wyrd Sisters

If you are looking for a general introduction I would suggest Guards! Guards! which is basically a detective story (with dragons!)

Thank you Raven

Wow Muggle Not, that is an accomplishment (reading all of his books)! I've read some of his books but definitely not all. I've read the first 22 Discworld books (I DNFed/abandoned book 23: Carpe Jugulum as I wasn't enjoying it when I was reading it) as well as some non-Discworld books by him (Only You Can Save Mankind, Johnny and the Bomb, Johnny and the Dead, The Carpet People, Good Omens (co-written with Neil Gaiman)). Yes, I miss him too :(.