Stephen King Guide

Kell

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just join the forum and Stephen King is my favourite author. The Stand is totally brilliant, I love it and have read it many many times. The first time I was reading it tho my eldest daughter was just 6 and came home from school one day sneezing, well I just burst into tears ;) I had got so engrossed in the book (instead of housework!) that I thought she had caught Captain Trips ! :006: I have to say that the latest one of his I read, Liseys Story, was pretty poor and I didn't like it much, the only other book of Mr Kings that I didn't care for was Geralds Game. For me Stephen King is definatley one of the best. :welcome: I am a fan ! (bit sad that innit!!)

^I agree with you, Sedge. I thought Cell started off great, but then it just diminished into something resembling a zombie-flick. :006:The Stand is my favourite Stephen King book, and one of my favourite books of all time. Others I have enjoyed are IT, Rose Madder, and Insomnia.

I haven't read Lisey's Story yet. I have it, but I keep putting it off, because of the negative things I have heard. :welcome:

Was anybody impressed by Cell? I thought it was a great idea, started promisingly, but then crumbled about a third of the way through.

I went on to read cell after misery. A definite case of from the sublime to the ridiculous. I did like the ambiguity of the ending but it was hard work getting there and I have to say I didn't much care whether the good guys lived or died.

At the end of the book was the first chapter of Lisey's story. I don't think I'll be rushing to read that one. I love most of the Stephen King books but I really hope he's not losing it.

It took me a long time to get into Lisey's Story. I didn't really care for the main character, which doesn't help! It did improve about halfway through, but it was still mediocre at best.

^I agree with you, Sedge. I thought Cell started off great, but then it just diminished into something resembling a zombie-flick. :006:The Stand is my favourite Stephen King book, and one of my favourite books of all time. Others I have enjoyed are IT, Rose Madder, and Insomnia.

I haven't read Lisey's Story yet. I have it, but I keep putting it off, because of the negative things I have heard. :welcome:

My favorites are also The Stand, IT, and Insomnia.

Was anybody impressed by Cell? I thought it was a great idea, started promisingly, but then crumbled about a third of the way through.

You are so right, I loved it at first, then it got very tedious. It seems to me that he has become formulaic (dodgy spelling???) and that is a shame because some of his books, such as, It, Carrie, Insomnia and of course the DT series (except the last one - what a cop out :welcome:) are really engrossing, the more recent works are not very good. Maybe he should quit while he is still near the top ?

You say true Muggle Not. I too would be very sad at the thought that there would never be another Stephen King story to look forward to, but if his recent offerings are anything to go by he seems to have lost interest. Thats just my opinion, but since the accident his writing seems to lack passion dont you think?

A few of King's other books, besides Lisey's Story and Cell, since the accident:

Dreamcatcher

From A Buick 8

Wolves of Calla

Song of Sussanah

The Dark Tower.

In addition King has written a number of short stories. I don't think we should write him off yet. Many, if not all, of the above books were very good IMO. I really loved "The Dark Tower" series. :welcome:

OHHHHHHHHH the Dark Tower :welcome: brilliant ! the end was a nightmare tho wasn't it :006:. From a Buick 8 is another one I am not over fond of, I didn't really get it, but that might be me ;) I must concede on Dreamcatcher - classic Stephen King, but I still maintain my opinion that he has lost something in his writing recently. Compare Cell or Lisey's Story with The Stand or IT and they are lacking that special something for me. Maybe we will have to agree to disagree on this one, at least we are united in our enjoyment of reading ;):);)

OHHHHHHHHH the Dark Tower brilliant ! the end was a nightmare tho wasn't it . From a Buick 8 is another one I am not over fond of, I didn't really get it, but that might be me :welcome: I must concede on Dreamcatcher - classic Stephen King, but I still maintain my opinion that he has lost something in his writing recently. Compare Cell or Lisey's Story with The Stand or IT and they are lacking that special something for me. Maybe we will have to agree to disagree on this one, at least we are united in our enjoyment of reading ;):006::)

I will concede on your last sentence.

Wishing the best of reading for you. ;)

Great lets be friends:friends0: What did you think of Insomnia? I loved it and although I read it ages ago I still find myself looking for peoples ribbons :welcome: I know I'm daft !

My 3 favorites are.....The Stand, IT, and Insomnia......oh, and the Dark Tower Series.

Did you see my portrait in the post above, what does it remind you of. :006:

Welcome :welcome: Its one of my favourites, no thats a lie I love em all just in different ways !! How is Heart Shaped Box? I read one of Tabitha Kings earlier this year, not overly impressed, but it was not the worst book I ever read. Oh hang on.........Candles Burning. (just had to run downstairs and have a look !!)

My 3 favorites are.....The Stand, IT, and Insomnia......oh, and the Dark Tower Series.

Did you see my portrait in the post above, what does it remind you of. ;)

YIKES ! :006: Thats scary ! Pennywise. Ever since I read that book I have gone right off Macdonalds :welcome: I found the first DT book hard to get into but once I got it I was hooked. Its a great series, what a shame its done now tho? Have you read The Eyes of the Dragon? I think that is something to do with DT. I get confused with it all as a lot of the books have reference to other books in them. I spend ages trawling through books for references to others ! How very sad:doh: