Stephen King Guide

Kell

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on page 331 and really enjoying it although i'm a little bit confused:

I have got used to this disease killing nearly everyone and not expecting it to be a "supernatural" story but now there is this strange man called Randall Flagg who it would seem is not human. Am I correct in thinking this?

Other than that a fantastic read! :lol:

Sorry, but I will not tell. You gotta read the book. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

:(

Hello! This is my first post, and I have to admit to being a HUGE Stephen King fan, but not to the level of Misery :), but to the level of actually having a picture of his house and have had a conversation with his neighbor (who approached me after pausing his lawn cutting duty to tell me "shame he's not home...").

Anyhoo...I'm currently reading Wolves of Calla and am really enjoying this series. I had the first book of this series for years and could never get into it - and now there is no turning back - my life is filled with gunslingers and I'm considering getting a cat and calling him/her Oy!

Okay, enough about me, probably scared you guys off....

Comment on The Green Mile - fantastic - you new readers are lucky to get it all in one book - I started reading it when it was serialized....couldn't WAIT for the next book....I have all 6 of the original series....

I hope I can help out in the Stephen King area of this forum. :D

Adam, if you're enjoying King's work, you might like to check out our reading circle section - a bunch of us are currently tackling The Stand (which is EXCELLENT) and a little while back, some read The Shining too - you can always add your thoughts as we leave the threads permanently open. :lol:

Adam, if you're enjoying King's work, you might like to check out our reading circle section - a bunch of us are currently tackling The Stand (which is EXCELLENT) and a little while back, some read The Shining too - you can always add your thoughts as we leave the threads permanently open. :lol:

Thank you for that info. I will definetly look into those books :D

Thanks for that link, Adam - that's a really interesting interview. It always makes me laugh to think that Stephen King is pegged as a "horror writer", because to me he's one of the great cross-genre authors! Yes, many of his books have an element of horror to them, but so do millions of other books that are NOT pegged as "horror" (take a look at anything about WWII and when you get to some of the atrocities committed by the Nazis - well, that's pure horror to me!). I find him a very versatile writer - he seems to be able to turn his hand to pretty much anything. Overall, I think he's mostly a writer who looks at the human condition and studies society as a whole - and he's a very interesting man to boot!

Thanks for that link, Adam - that's a really interesting interview. It always makes me laugh to think that Stephen King is pegged as a "horror writer", because to me he's one of the great cross-genre authors! Yes, many of his books have an element of horror to them, but so do millions of other books that are NOT pegged as "horror" (take a look at anything about WWII and when you get to some of the atrocities committed by the Nazis - well, that's pure horror to me!). I find him a very versatile writer - he seems to be able to turn his hand to pretty much anything. Overall, I think he's mostly a writer who looks at the human condition and studies society as a whole - and he's a very interesting man to boot!

You phrased that perfectly. I couldn't agree more :)

Am currently reading book 3 in the Dark Tower series and loving it. Didn't think I would after reading the first one even tho am a massive King fan but they just keep getting better. My husband is also reading them but is on book 5.

Well, you should do very well on our quizzes! The literature quizzes all have Dark Tower questions. If you haven't checked it out, here's the link:

The Book Club Forum Daily Quiz Challenge

• 4 weeks later...

I hope you enjoy The Stand, Papillon! And I'm certain that the book of 1408 will be way better than the film, which started well, but then pretty much sucked from about 1/2 way through (at least, that's what hubby and I thought). It's usually the case with King films - the books are SO much more powerful - I think there have only been four made into films that I really thought were awesome (Carrie, Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile - no, I don't rate The Shining at all!).

I love that poem, Papillon! I don't think I've read all the stories in Four Past Midnight. :censored: And it goes without saying, how much I love The Stand!

Kell, on my way back from Australia, 1408 was one of the movies they played on the plane. I thought it was so bad, I actually turned it off. :lol: