Stephen King Guide

Kell

Arrrggghhh! I forgot Desperation was on tonight! I've not read the book, but I saw the trailer the other day and thought it looked pretty interesting...

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrrggghhh! I forgot Desperation was on tonight! I've not read the book, but I saw the trailer the other day and thought it looked pretty interesting...

Its only been on 15 minutes, im sure you can catch up. It seems to be a series, its only on until 11

Nah, if I've missed the beginning, I'll be all grumpy all the way through. I'll see if there's a repeat on at the weekend...

... Yup, it's on again on Saturday night at 11pm - and I don't have to get up early on Sunday morning, so I can watch it at leisure. :D

ETA: Scratch that - it's on again SUNDAY night, not Saturday (my listing on Radio Times is playing silly b*ggers & really p*ssing me off tonight), so I won't be bothering. I'll just wait till it's all been on and get it from "somewhere" and watch it al n one go instead. Harumph!

Nah, if I've missed the beginning, I'll be all grumpy all the way through. I'll see if there's a repeat on at the weekend...

... Yup, it's on again on Saturday night at 11pm - and I don't have to get up early on Sunday morning, so I can watch it at leisure. :blush:

I'm glad its being repeated, i hate it when i forget when somethings on :D

Hmm, I don't think reading this thread was a good idea. Looks like my TBR list has just grown by about 20 books! :D Thanks very much everyone! :blush:

My brother has just about every Stephen King novel I think. I wish now that I had borrowed more when he was living at home. The only one I read was a collection of short stories (can't remember the name) which I think had the Children of the Corn story, and the one about the trucks being alive and killing people.

I think a visit to my local second-hand book store is in order. I recall seeing a lot of King's book there. Thanks for the tips and opinions :blush:

Well, Lowek, I can heartily recommend Different Seasons (4 novellas which include those that were made into the films The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me (written as The Body) and Apt Pupil) and The Stand (probably his most complete and wonderful book to date).

Well, Lowek, I can heartily recommend Different Seasons (4 novellas which include those that were made into the films The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me (written as The Body) and Apt Pupil) and The Stand (probably his most complete and wonderful book to date).

I have to second your recommendation of The Stand. It is such a fantastic book, not strictly horror either (for those who are put off by the genre). It is such a good book; I've read it several times, and it's a great starter for those getting into Stephen King. :blush: Some may disagree with me here, but I thought the mini-series was great too (Gary Sinise as Stu Redman....:blush:). :D

I have to second your recommendation of The Stand. It is such a fantastic book, not strictly horror either (for those who are put off by the genre).

As I think I may have mentioned before (but not recently), I don't think King's a horror writer at all, and it annoys me that he's always classified as such. Yes, he's written some horror books (vampires and ghosties, etc), but many of them seem more fantasy or thrillers to me.

The book with Children of the Corn in was 'Nightshift' - some good shorts in there. If you like his shorts, you should also try:

Skeleton Crew

Everything's Eventual

Four Past Midnight

They should give you a good idea of the spetrum of Kings work (although many of his shorts are typical horror).

The Stand. ... Some may disagree with me here, but I thought the mini-series was great too (Gary Sinise as Stu Redman....:blush:). :D
I loved it too! :blush:

I find Stephen King a bit difficult to cope with - in my younger days I read 'Cujo' and 'Misery' and I don't think I will ever forget the experience. I remember on occasion when I was reading 'Cujo' late at night and had to stop and get out of bed and do something else to take my mind of the horrors of the story. Great writing but nor for me at he moment.

As I think I may have mentioned before (but not recently), I don't think King's a horror writer at all, and it annoys me that he's always classified as such. Yes, he's written some horror books (vampires and ghosties, etc), but many of them seem more fantasy or thrillers to me.

The book with Children of the Corn in was 'Nightshift' - some good shorts in there. If you like his shorts, you should also try:

Skeleton Crew

Everything's Eventual

Four Past Midnight

They should give you a good idea of the spetrum of Kings work (although many of his shorts are typical horror).

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I might check out The Stand first and see if I can get my hands on Different Seasons as well. The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favourite movies and I'd love to read the original novella.

A lot of the Stephen King adaptions have been utter crap in my opinion, but I found the film version of Dolores Claiborne to be just as good as the book. I thought Misery was pretty good, but not gruesome enough. And there was a fantastic TV version of Nightmares and Dreamscapes a few months ago...great acting. Views? Opinions?

I find that I have to read the books first, not the films or series. The one book of his I cannot get into is The tommyknockers,I have the book and I have tried many times but I just can't get into it,But all the others are brill :D

• 3 months later...

I have about 150 pages to go in The Stand out of 1038 pages. So far it is still probably the best Stephen King I have read, excellent reading IMO.

I'm reading this now Muggle! I think it will take a while!! I hope I enjoy it as much as you did!

I'm reading this now Muggle! I think it will take a while!! I hope I enjoy it as much as you did!

When I first started The Stand, it was a little hard to get through the very beginning...it seemed slow. But the tension builds up very quickly, and then it took only a few days to read the rest. Hang in there!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have had It on my shelf for a while now, watched the film and have got it on dvd. Clowns really scare me big time. :lol: Must admit the reason I have not read it yet is cause its so big and its kind of put me off. At the minute im reading The Green Mile and loving it, so im going to attempt reading it the book after next.
Is the green mile Just as good as the film?

and did you know that the clown pennywise in (IT) was played by Tim curry.

What did everyone think of secret window?
I've not read the story, but I thought the film pretty much sucked, despite starring Johnny Depp. I hadn't realised, before watching it, that it was based on a Stephen King story and all the way through I felt that it could have been so much more.

Is the green mile Just as good as the film?

Yes, in my opinion, the film is every bit as good as the book. I defy anyone not to be moved by John Coffey's last scene!

How are you progressing with The Stand.

I'm on page 331 and really enjoying it although i'm a little bit confused:

I have got used to this disease killing nearly everyone and not expecting it to be a "supernatural" story but now there is this strange man called Randall Flagg who it would seem is not human. Am I correct in thinking this?

Other than that a fantastic read! :lol:

I have got used to this disease killing nearly everyone and not expecting it to be a "supernatural" story but now there is this strange man called Randall Flagg who it would seem is not human. Am I correct in thinking this?

There IS a slight supernatural factor to it all, but it's not a really heavy part of the book - it all kind of blends in.

Think of him more as an "agent on earth". :lol: