Stephen King Guide

Kell

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Storm of the Century, I believe, was written directly for the TV & I think I've only seen it available in script form so far. No doubt a novelisation will become available & if it does, i'll be interested in it as I thought the concept was rather good (although I didn't see all of the mini-series).

King is superb (huge fan alert!) and for me a lot of his very best books are his non-horror ones. His new one "Lisey's Story" is not at all horror and is getting rave reviews.

I would actually say that he only has a few "true" horror novels namely Salem's Lot, Pet Sematary and IT. For me all the rest are borderline and certainly not horrific in a James Herbert, Richard Laymon way.

Books to read if you do not like horror in my opinion (yes I know some have been repeated!):

The Dark Tower (books 1-7).

Eyes of The Dragon

The Stand

Insomnia

The Bachman Books (A collection fo four stories, The Long Walk is particularly impressive).

Four Seasons (Includes Apt Pupil)

The Green Mile collection

Oh and to answer the post above Cell isn't very good for King. It has similarities with his best work The Stand but its like a sub-standard remake. Godd twist though!

The Bachman Books (A collection fo four stories, The Long Walk is particularly impressive).

The Long Walk is my favourite of the Bachman books too. I also loved:

The Dark Tower series

Eyes of the Dragon

Firestarter

It

Rose Madder (not many people seem to like this one, but I've always been fascinated by the idea of going through pictures).

I am about 2/3 finished reading "Cell". At this point I am really puzzled on how this book will end. No spoilers, please. :)

I have driven through the part of Maine where many of the events took place in the Cell book. The same with some other of his books. It was a strange and uneasy feeling at the time. :badmood:

• 5 months later...

I have IT at home as loved it on TV but was very scared!!!

I haven't dared yet read the book but i will i also have the Dark Tower series which i bought second hand in brand new condition.

I have read and i loved:

Misery

Dolores Clairborne

Pet Semetary

Needful things

Carrie

Christine

Rose Madder

Firestarter

Geralds game

The green mile

Probably some more too

I hated the Dreamcatcher but i have a thing about aliens - they scare me more tha psychos and horro things although i do like sci fi just not aliens coming to normal earth!!!:blush:

I am really enjoying IT at the moment, not too scary yet......

Hopw far are you into the book. I thought IT was a little scary.

I have about 150 pages to go in The Stand out of 1038 pages. So far it is still probably the best Stephen King I have read, excellent reading IMO.

Hopw far are you into the book. I thought IT was a little scary.

I have about 150 pages to go in The Stand out of 1038 pages. So far it is still probably the best Stephen King I have read, excellent reading IMO.

I had a bit of a slow start but i'm now on page 265 out of 1116 pages....

I have put The Stand on the "to read" list, you seem to be really enjoying it :blush:

The Stand is an awesome book - not my favourite King, but right near the top. Tried to get Dr Wraith to read it - he took one look at the publication date and said "I don't read anything publisher before 1998". Weirdo :roll: (he will read it though :blush: )

I have IT at home as loved it on TV but was very scared!!!

I haven't dared yet read the book but i will i also have the Dark Tower series which i bought second hand in brand new condition.

I have read and i loved:

Misery

Dolores Clairborne

Pet Semetary

Needful things

Carrie

Christine

Rose Madder

Firestarter

Geralds game

The green mile

Probably some more too

I hated the Dreamcatcher but i have a thing about aliens - they scare me more tha psychos and horro things although i do like sci fi just not aliens coming to normal earth!!!:blush:

Have you read the shinning?

No i have it packed away somewhere but my mum let me watch the film when i was young very scarey!!

I like the episode of friends when Joey is reading this and he keeps it locked in the freezer in between reads!!:blush:

Yep that was a funny episode!!! :roll: But i didn't find it quite that scary! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I found IT really hard to read, but I did manage to read it all:b7ydance: . I have just started Cell, finding ok but noticed its not classed as his best work.

I have only read IT, The Shining, and The Green Mile, so its not like I have alot to go off, this one is a bit weird though.

Tried to get Dr Wraith to read it - he took one look at the publication date and said "I don't read anything publisher before 1998". Weirdo :blush:
Weirdo indeed! He;s missing out on some fabulous books and not just by King either! Come on, Wraith - be a bit adventurous and follow your good lady's example!

• 2 weeks later...