Your Book Activity - April 2021

willoyd

Finished Toni Morrison's Song of SolomonMy first Morrison, and an excellent read - really didn't want to put it down.  Book group read, and my book for Michigan in my Tour of the States (21 now read).  5/6

• Brian. pinned this topic

Re-reading Lissa Evans’ Crooked Heart. First read in February 2018, but it’s scary how much you forget the plot already! But it’s good to read again.

2 hours ago, Brian. said:

Not today but I’m planning on popping into a few tomorrow. Did you? Buy anything ?

I was at work, sadly.

ETA: I have been looking at other people's pictures of bookshops on social media, however...

Edited by Raven

I finished up Still Life by Val McDermid, another great book from the queen of crime. I’ve got a few hours of my current audiobook, Everest 1953 and I’ve just started Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome.

Went in to Leeds today to visit The Leeds Library (the subscription one, not the public one which I can visit closer to home), just re-opened.  So good to get back - it's such a friendly treasure trove, with a very different profile of books ot the two public libraries I belong to. Came away with just a couple of books (Suetonius' The Twelve Caesars, and Hilary Rubinstein's Catastrophe at Spithead), but a list of others to go to once I've finally got to the end of the current pile (I took 7 books back, but still have half a dozen to go!).  Dropped into Waterstones, my first visit there since December.  I have to admit, I couldn't get enthused - I'm much more excited by my two local independents - but came away with two books: The Awakening by Kate Chopin, and Walden by Henry Thoreau, both nice looking hardbacks.

Finished two books in the past couple of days: Blood and Iron by Katja Hoyer, a slim, succinct but illuminating history of the Second Reich, and Travels in Scottish Islands - The Hebrides by Kirstie Macdonald Jareg, an interesting exploration of both Inner and Outer archipelagos.  Some of it went over well-worn ground, but there were flashes of insight that made it a rewarding read, especially as we're booked to revisit Islay this summer - fingers crossed!  Both 4 star reads. 

Must catch up with the reviews on my blog thread!!  Currently about two-thirds the way through Barbara Kingsolver's Unsheltered, aiming to finish in the next day or so - enjoying it a lot.

Edited by willoyd

Popped into my local Waterstone's last Saturday. 

Whilst I was walking around it was rather sobering to realise the last time I had been in there was Christmas Eve, the day the shop was last open before Lockdown 2: The Tricky Second Act.

18 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

Montalbano' first case and other stories by Andrea Camilleri. Humorously clever detective tales from  Sicily. Recommend it. 

I like the sound of humorously clever detective tales - added to wish list :)

17 hours ago, Raven said:

Popped into my local Waterstone's last Saturday. 

Whilst I was walking around it was rather sobering to realise the last time I had been in there was Christmas Eve,

I can’t remember the last time I went to Waterstones. Definitely over a year ago, before the first lockdown. It will feel weird going again. 

I actually dreamed that I went to a bookshop last night. It was great. I bought The Lamplighters by Emma Stonex and Himself by Jess Kidd. I was quite disappointed when I woke up and didn’t actually have new books but, on the plus side, I didn’t spend any real money either...

I’m currently reading the second book in the Septimus Heap series, Flyte. It hasn’t been an easy week so far and I’ve barely read anything, so planning to set aside at least an hour (hopefully two!) this evening just for reading. 

7 hours ago, Hayley said:

I can’t remember the last time I went to Waterstones. Definitely over a year ago, before the first lockdown. It will feel weird going again. 

Pff... After five minutes in the shop you'll be cracking open the nearest tome and rubbing your face in fresh book pages again, just like the rest of us.

7 hours ago, Hayley said:

It hasn’t been an easy week so far and I’ve barely read anything, so planning to set aside at least an hour (hopefully two!) this evening just for reading. 

Hope everything is okay and you managed to get some reading done!

To breathe in the smell of a bookshop  -although for some strange reason one of our local branches of Waterstone's always seemed to smell of spilt milk for a while after it first opened!

5 hours ago, Madeleine said:

To breathe in the smell of a bookshop  -although for some strange reason one of our local branches of Waterstone's always seemed to smell of spilt milk for a while after it first opened!

We have a cafe in a city centre near us. . For years it sporadically reeked of rotting drains. 

Edited by itsmeagain

On 21/04/2021 at 4:58 PM, itsmeagain said:

Hayley, there's also Young Montalbano and Montalbano available on BBC iplayer. 🎂😊

I didn’t even know it was a TV series, this is the first time I’ve ever heard of it! Is this one of those things everybody else has known about for years? :lol:

18 hours ago, Raven said:

After five minutes in the shop you'll be cracking open the nearest tome and rubbing your face in fresh book pages again, just like the rest of us.

That does sound pretty good to be fair!

18 hours ago, Raven said:

Hope everything is okay and you managed to get some reading done!

Two whole hours :). It won’t take me long to finish Flyte now.

12 hours ago, Madeleine said:

for some strange reason one of our local branches of Waterstone's always seemed to smell of spilt milk for a while after it first opened!

How weird! 

31 minutes ago, Hayley said:

That does sound pretty good to be fair!

Give it a try, the next time you are in there*

*Don't come crying to me if you get banned from the shop, though...

31 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Two whole hours :). It won’t take me long to finish Flyte now.

Yay!

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

I didn’t even know it was a TV series, this is the first time I’ve ever heard of it! Is this one of those things everybody else has known about for years? :lol:

On the brilliant channel that is BBC4, they are actually quite old now by TV standards.