Your Hobbies, Collections, and Obsessions

Brian.

On 28/08/2021 at 9:55 PM, muggle not said:

Have you tried a tomato sandwich on buttered bread with a little  mayo?

Sorry for taking a while to get around to reading this thread. I haven't, though if I were to try it I think I'd prefer it unbuttered. I don't often eat sandwiches nowadays to be honest, as bread tends to be a bit dry for my mouth (I have a dry mouth as a side effect of medication), so I usually have something else for lunch, a salad for example.

On 29/08/2021 at 11:59 AM, Hayley said:

I haven't done a jigsaw for ages but it's something I think I would like! I had an email from The Works with some really pretty ones for sale recently too. 

That is a big downside of them. I think you can buy a thing that allows you to roll up a partially finished jigsaw, but I don't know how well that works. It would be very disappointing if you spent ages making progress on one and it broke when you rolled it up!

I was into puzzles/jigsaw a while ago, and bought a thing so that you could roll the puzzle up (as we didn't have enough space to keep it out on the table for really long). You have to start laying the puzzle on it and then carefully roll it up. It worked, though we only used it a few times so far and I don't think I completed the puzzle (I then went off puzzling.. ah these things happen. Maybe I'll get back to it some day. Maybe that puzzle was too hard, who knows.)). I don't recall where we bought it, but then I live in the Netherlands anyway so not sure that information would have been helpful.

On 31/08/2021 at 10:35 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

Me neither and what happens to the pieces not yet fitted?

I put the unfitted pieces in resealable plastic bags in small plastic bowls, organised by what kind of thing was on it (it helped me during my puzzling). I put the plastic bowls in the puzzle box (the pieces were in resealable bags so they wouldn't fall out if someone were to tilt the box.

31 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Weirdly, after the above conversation, I had an email about a sale at The Works and this was the first thing on the list!

Portapuzzle Standard Jigsaw Accessory - For 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzles from £12.00 | The Works

So apparently you can get flat ones as well as rolled up ones! 

Genius!

On 04/09/2021 at 6:11 PM, Hayley said:

Weirdly, after the above conversation, I had an email about a sale at The Works and this was the first thing on the list!

Portapuzzle Standard Jigsaw Accessory - For 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzles from £12.00 | The Works

So apparently you can get flat ones as well as rolled up ones!

Oh wow, hadn't seen that before!

There's a mail order company in the UK which does a set of stacking containers for puzzlers to put different pieces of a jigsaw in so they can arrange the pieces into different sections, eg one box for each different colour, or maybe parts of a jigsaw, such as the sky, a building, etc.  I bought a set for a puzzling friend for her birthday and she's thrilled with it, it changed her puzzling life!

18 hours ago, muggle not said:

The best / easiest way to do a puzzle is to do the perimeter first and then fill in from there. That would make it hard I think, to roll up or take apart in sections. :)

I got given a Van Gogh café scene jigsaw for my birthday, and did it that way, as it was the only way to do it really ie the perimeter first and then work my way in, only finished it the other week (with my mum's help) and my birthday is at the beginning of June!

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments :hug:

9 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Gorgeous blankets Poppy! The colours are just so heart lifting. :wub: 

It's interesting how people have quite different colour preferences. I love working with colour but some colour combinations just look wrong to me.

Unless I'm making a blanket for someone as a surprise, I always let the person choose their own colours.

On 09/09/2021 at 10:12 AM, Madeleine said:

I got given a Van Gogh café scene jigsaw for my birthday, and did it that way, as it was the only way to do it really ie the perimeter first and then work my way in, only finished it the other week (with my mum's help) and my birthday is at the beginning of June!

Did that level of difficulty make it more fun or just frustrating?? 

On 11/09/2021 at 1:09 AM, poppy said:

I love working with colour but some colour combinations just look wrong to me.

I definitely agree. I think it's really hard to get a combination that's colourful and vibrant but doesn't clash. Your blankets do that though!

On 11/09/2021 at 1:09 AM, poppy said:

Unless I'm making a blanket for someone as a surprise, I always let the person choose their own colours.

If they picked colours that don't go together, would you sneakily change it? :lol:

On 17/09/2021 at 6:44 PM, Hayley said:

Did that level of difficulty make it more fun or just frustrating?? 

Frustrating! It was a bit of a swine to complete.:P

Just started another one - garden birds this time, so i now have bits of birds all over the dining room table!

On 9/18/2021 at 5:44 AM, Hayley said:

If they picked colours that don't go together, would you sneakily change it? :lol:

Lol, no I don't change them, but I'd probably try to arrange them where they clashed least. Everyone has different ideas of what pleases them, so I just go with it :blush:

16 hours ago, Hayley said:

That sounds a bit gruesome :lol:. I hope this one will be more fun!

Only in jigsaw puzzle pieces thankfully, unlike the  time there was a massacre in the back garden - it was like a feathered version of a Game of Thrones battle out there:eek:

8 hours ago, poppy said:

I'd probably try to arrange them where they clashed least

That is a very sensitive way to deal with it :lol:

7 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Only in jigsaw puzzle pieces thankfully, unlike the  time there was a massacre in the back garden - it was like a feathered version of a Game of Thrones battle out there:eek:

:o oh no!

I know we're early for this still, but is anybody making decorations for Christmas this year? I've seen some miniature embroidery hoops and I really like the idea of making some into tree decorations.