Your Book Activity - March 2021

Chrissy

My reading mojo is very.....distant at the moment. I manage a couple of pages, and I drift off into any subjects, but not reading :rolleyes:. None of the books I’m reading recently just doesn’t grab my attention. 

So I will try something I should enjoy, so it’ll be either Rivers of London series or The Chronicles of St Mary’s next. :)

I’ve still got A Gentleman in Moscow on the go. I had planned to finish it today but it took me the whole day to edit some photographs so it will likely be finished tomorrow. I’m also about halfway through the audiobook of Next Stop Execution, the autobiography of Oleg Gordievsky which has been very surprising in a good way.

9 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

The Desolations of Devil's Acre by Ransom Riggs. Sixth book in the Peculiar series, I have read the other five. It's a long one!

I've loved the first two books and can't wait to buy the others. I don't know why but I sort of expected them all to be about the same length, I'm intrigued that the sixth is particularly long!

I'm still reading The Fourteenth Letter by Claire Evans. I'm more than a quarter of the way through now and struggling to decide whether I actually like it. I like the concept but I'd really expect this type of mystery novel to be gripping me by now and it just isn't. 

• Brian. pinned this topic

I completed Jodi Taylor's Hard Time. An enjoyable addition to this St Mary's spin off series. It was fascinating to see threads sewn in earlier books emerge in this one. I love the characters, who are each being developed nicely. 

The need to immerse myself elsewhere for a while is quite strong at the moment, so I will have to ponder where that might be. Hmmmm.....

I finished A Gentleman in Moscow and although it took me a little longer to read than I’d hoped I loved it. I’ve just picked up The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg which I will start a bit later this evening.

11 hours ago, bookmonkey said:

Halfway through a re-read of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.  I think it's even better second time round.

Strangely enough, I was thinking of a Rebecca re-read. Dare I say 'great minds think alike'? ;) (my mind is feeling distinctly average at the moment, so maybe not!) :)

After my recent failure with Ulysses, I decided to read something I had previously failed to finish. So I picked up Uncle Tom's Cabin. I checked it out of the library years ago along with 2 other books, so ran out of time to finish it  before it had to be returned. I'm about three quarters through it now and enjoying it.

Finished the short story collection Tales from the Follyby Ben Aaronovitch today, which was one of the many unread books I had on my Kindle.

So it is a pity I bought a copy of On the Road by Jack Kerouac for 99p today, as this means there has been no net reduction in the unread tally...

11 hours ago, Raven said:

Finished the short story collection Tales from the Follyby Ben Aaronovitch today, which was one of the many unread books I had on my Kindle.

How were the stories and would you say this can be read at any time, or do you need to have read the other 'Rivers' book beforehand?

1 hour ago, Brian. said:

How were the stories and would you say this can be read at any time, or do you need to have read the other 'Rivers' book beforehand?

It's a bit half and half, really. 

Some you can read without having read any other Rivers of London stories (although you might be a little bewildered as to what is going on) but there are others that use characters from - or continue stories started in - other books (obviously with some spoilers if you haven't read them). 

The majority of the stories seem to take place either before, around or relate directly to Foxglove Summer, though, so if you have read that far most of them should make sense, although you may not get the most out of them.

Having said all that, each story starts with an introduction that explains where it fits in the overall narrative, so you can work out what you can read from that.

Personally. if you plan to work your way through the rest of the series anyway, I'd suggest leaving this collection until you get to it in publication order, as it is a nice way of revisiting some of the earlier stories.

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Personally. if you plan to work your way through the rest of the series anyway, I'd suggest leaving this collection until you get to it in publication order, as it is a nice way of revisiting some of the earlier stories.

I think I'll do that as I'm only 2 books into the series so far and wouldn't want to read any spoilers.

I have finished The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg, probably a 2/5 book all said and done. I've got a few hours of the Colonel Sun audiobook left which I'll probably finish while I'm at work tomorrow.

I don't know what I'll pick up as my next physical read, I'll see what takes my fancy later on tonight.

3 hours ago, Brian. said:

I think I'll do that as I'm only 2 books into the series so far and wouldn't want to read any spoilers.

There's probably two stories in the book you could currently read without spoilering anything.

I think I may have invented a new word there...

21 hours ago, Brian. said:

I think that’s a good idea, as I accidentally read spoilers in The Folly novella, and some of the short stories were unknowable. Definitely read after Foxglove Summer.

Not been on for a while - first post here this month.  Just finished my book of March: Why Do Birds Suddenly Disappear? by Lev Pariakin, an account of his return to birdwatching, and efforts to tick off 200 birds in the year without 'twitching'. An easy read, I could relate to this as so much of it reflected my own return to birdwatching having, like the author, beein a keen youngster.  I particularly enjoyed where he related his experiences to those in his professional career as a conductor, and his childhood and relationship with his father. 4 stars.

Other books completed in the past 2-3 weeks: The Mermaid of Black Conch by Monique Roffey (5 or 6 stars: superb!), The Shadow King by Maaza Mengiste (ungraded as unfinished: couldn't handle the unremitting grimness), The Ash Tree by Oliver Rackham (4 stars), The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle (5 stars), Birdsong in the Time of Silence by Steven Lovatt (5 stars).