Wish You Well by David Baldacci

muggle not

One of Baldacci's books that I enjoyed tremendously was "Wish You Well", another non-mystery book. I recommend it highly, although it may not be for everyone, only those that do not mind shedding a tear now and then. A delightful book. From Amazon:

The year is 1940. After a car accident kills 12-year-old Lou's and 7-year-old Oz's father and leaves their mother Amanda in a catatonic trance, the children find themselves sent from New York City to their great-grandmother Louisa's farm in Virginia. Louisa's hardscrabble existence comes as a profound shock to precocious Lou and her shy brother. Still struggling to absorb their abandonment, they enter gamely into a life that tests them at every turn--and offers unimaginable rewards. For Lou, who dreams of following in her father's literary footsteps, the misty, craggy Appalachians and the equally rugged individuals who make the mountains their home quickly become invested with an almost mythic significance:

They took metal cups from nails on the wall and dipped them in the water, and then sat outside and drank. Louisa picked up the green leaves of a mountain spurge growing next to the springhouse, which revealed beautiful purple blossoms completely hidden underneath. "One of God's little secrets," she explained. Lou sat there, cup cradled between her dimpled knees, watching and listening to her great-grandmother in the pleasant shade...

I could almost guarantee that you will like the book. I may go back and read it again, oops forgot, I gave the book to my granddaughter. The book will make you laugh, cry, and feel good during the reading. I really wish that more members would read "Wish You Well", only because I think you would enjoy the book.

So that I don't mislead, "Wish You Well" by David Baldacci is a very good story and enjoyable reading. However, please do not compare it to The Moon Is Down by John Steinbeck, which is a piece of literature that will live forever. :(

I do wish that I could get at least one other forum member to read it. any takers??

• 1 month later...

Have just finished 'Wish You Well' and it is just as you say Muggle, it makes you laugh, cry and feel good. A delightful heart-warming story, where family and love are far more important than material wealth. Thank you very much for the recommendation. ;)

Have just finished 'Wish You Well' and it is just as you say Muggle, it makes you laugh, cry and feel good. A delightful heart-warming story, where family and love are far more important than material wealth. Thank you very much for the recommendation. ;)

Aw shucks, I am very glad that you enjoyed the book and it sounds like you enjoyed it as much as me.:(

• 9 months later...
Have just finished 'Wish You Well' and it is just as you say Muggle, it makes you laugh, cry and feel good. A delightful heart-warming story, where family and love are far more important than material wealth. Thank you very much for the recommendation. :)

And now we have maureen who has promised to start reading "Wish You Well". Any other takers for enjoying a nice book :)