Your Book Activity - February 2021

Marie H

• Athena pinned this topic

Having starting Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London #7) yesterday, I have to put it aside, as I have a few of the Graphic Novels Rivers of London before Lies Sleeping. So the next Aaronovitch graphics novel is Black Mould.

I am skedaddling my way through Angie Sage's Septimus Heap 7 book series, and am currently on book four. Enjoying this re read immensely. I had planned on reading a different book alongside, but have found myself fully absorbed in the series, so am carrying on as is. :)

On a whim, I bought a graphic novel Acursian. 'A world of Celtic myth and Scottish magic...' written by Carole & John Barrowman with Erica Lewis, and artwork by Beni Lobel. I look forward to a quiet afternoon when I can read it. 

The Dry by Jane Harper.

A thriller set in Australia where a family have been found dead. Reported to be a murder/suicide Aaron Falk sets out to find out what really happened to his former best friend, his wife and child. This book was very fast paced and the fact I didn't see the ending coming from a mile off added to the enjoyment of the book. Looking forward to reading more from this author. This is a debut too and it makes me feel better is yet to come. 4 stars.

Dustbin Baby by  Jacqueline Wilson

April was found in a dustbin on the day of her birth by a 17 year old pizza delivery boy. She is then taken into care and adopted before living in a series of Foster homes. The story spans over one day; April's birthday. Where after having a fall out with her Foster mum she decides to not go off to school but go back to places she lived growing up. Taking us on a journey of her life. I loved this book so much, it was very heartbreaking but so well written. There were also a few characters from other Wilson books that made a cameo which I felt made a nice touch. As this author is more for the younger generation I would say this one in particular isn't for the very young readers. As there are TW of bullying and suicide.

5 stars.  

Currently reading Marley and Me by John Grogan and Girl On The Run by Jane Costello. 

15 minutes ago, Lau_Lou said:

The Dry by Jane Harper.

A thriller set in Australia where a family have been found dead. Reported to be a murder/suicide Aaron Falk sets out to find out what really happened to his former best friend, his wife and child. This book was very fast paced and the fact I didn't see the ending coming from a mile off added to the enjoyment of the book. Looking forward to reading more from this author. This is a debut too and it makes me feel better is yet to come. 4 stars.

I listened to her latest book about 10 days ago - an excellent listen, very well paced though to be honest the plot didn't hang together as well as her previous books.

If you like Austrailian noir I'd recommend Chris Hammer, absolutely brilliant. Just finished his latest. Start with Scrublands, it's the beginning of a series.

Finished Richard Osman's book The Thursday Murder Club, pinched off OH after she finished it (Christmas present).  Really good fun, surprisingly moving in places; thoroughly enjoyed it: 4/6.  (I've avoided listening to the abridgement on Radio 4, but heard a clip earlier today - doesn't sound right at all to me!).

4 hours ago, France said:

I listened to her latest book about 10 days ago - an excellent listen, very well paced though to be honest the plot didn't hang together as well as her previous books.

If you like Austrailian noir I'd recommend Chris Hammer, absolutely brilliant. Just finished his latest. Start with Scrublands, it's the beginning of a series.

Thank you for the recommendation :) I will definitely check out his work. 

21 hours ago, willoyd said:

Finished Richard Osman's book The Thursday Murder Club, pinched off OH after she finished it (Christmas present).  Really good fun, surprisingly moving in places; thoroughly enjoyed it: 4/6.  

Yes, I really enjoyed The Thursday Murder Club, though the plots did go a bit far fetched!

Reading The New Mrs Clifton by Elizabeth Buchan.

Starts with the discovery of a skeleton in a garden, then goes back 30 years to just after WW2, when a man returns to England with his German bride.

Don't know how I came across this book, but it has an air of suspense which I'm enjoying.

3 hours ago, poppy said:

Reading The New Mrs Clifton by Elizabeth Buchan.

Starts with the discovery of a skeleton in a garden, then goes back 30 years to just after WW2, when a man returns to England with his German bride.

Ooh, I'm really glad you're reading The New Mrs Clifton :exc:. I loved it!!

I’ve sat on the sofa for most of the morning and finished The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. I can see why it’s been a big success and I don’t think it will be too long before it appears on our screens in some form or other.

Finished Ben Aaronovitch The Further Station (Rivers of London novella) and it was a very good read. So I’ll try the next of the series, which is Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London #7).

Just finished One Of Us Next by Karen McManus. I had a feeling I knew who it was but I didnt guess the very ending. Ended on a bit of a cliffhanger so I am thinking (hoping) there is a follow up.

Really enjoyed this. The characters, the plot line. Although I don't remember my high school been this horrendous. Still its been years since I was there. 

On a side note when I was reading the book I had it on the bed and my partner (not a reader) picked it up to have a look and sniffed the book and said "ah love that smell" :D:lol: made me smile.

I am starting Black Beauty next. I claim to be a fan of classics but hardly ever reach for them so wanting to change that this year. I had originally aimed for 1 per month but didn't read any in January so shall see how the rest of the year goes.

I finished Vox by Christina Dalcher this afternoon and I have mixed feelings about it. The story rather fell apart towards the end and I found some of the politics really ham-fisted.

So for my next book I have just started the second book in the Rivers of London series, Moon over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch.

I completed my re read of Angie Sage's Septimus Heap series. It was lovely to head back into that world for a while. Not sure what to read next, so I have started a book of short stories from Rick Riordan, and his Magnus Chase / Norse mythology series. Humorous, and pertinent to the series and characters, will I ever get the sight of Thor in leather shorty shorts out of my head? :lol:

On 12/02/2021 at 4:14 AM, Lau_Lou said:

I am starting Black Beauty next.

Part of me really wants to read this but the film made me so sad as a child that I don’t know whether I’m prepared to deal with it emotionally! 

I just finished The Frightened Man by Kenneth Cameron (which was okay but not fantastic) and now I’m going to stick with the murder mystery theme and start The Fourteenth Letter by Claire Evans :) 

A couple of books completed since I was last online a couple of weeks ago:

The Motion of a Body through Space by Lionel Shriver, for one of my book groups. Some thought provoking ideas, leading to some great discussion, but can't say that I particularly enjoyed the book, even though it's about a topic I'm very interested in - just found it all like being hit around the head to prove a point, although others in my great rated it more highly. 3/6.

A Short History of Europe by Simon Jenkins: what it says on the tin. Rattles along, giving me just the overview I was looking for. Well written and very readable: 4/6. 

Currently reading John Hillaby's Journey Through London