Corn Pudding guaranteed to please. :)

2 (11 oz) cans corn

11/2 tablespoon flour

3 tablespoons sugar

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup milk

3 tablespoons butter

Blend all ingredients 10 seconds at high speed in a food processor. Then pour into a greased baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes.

(muggle I moved this for you)

• 2 weeks later...

1 c ( 2 cubes ) soft butter

3/4 c white sugar

1/3 c cocoa

2 Tb instant coffee

2 Tb vanilla

2 Tb water

Mix until creamed.

Add: 1 3/4 c. flour

1/2 cu finely chpd pecans or walnuts

1/2 cup semi-sweet chips

Mix with creamed mixture and place large golf-ball sized balls on cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for 12 min. Let cool thoroughly. Douse with powdered sugar.

I told a friend :D that I would post my recipe for polenta and now see that I had posted it months ago so I am bumping it up in this thread. The amount of time in the oven will depend somewhat on the type of polenta you use, so use my recommendation and then adjust for future when baking.

Basic Polenta for 4. The lazy man way.

1 quart water

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup cornmeal

1 tablespoon butter

Combine water, salt, cornmeal, and butter in a 11/2 to 2 quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and give it a good stir. Stick the dish back in the oven and cook for 10 more minutes. The polenta, again, can be "jazzed up" anyway you like it while cooking, ie, cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc

Basic Polenta for 6 to 8. The lazy man way.

2 quarts water

2 teaspoons salt

2 cups cornmeal

2 tablespoons butter

Combine water, salt, cornmeal, and butter in a 2 to 3 quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 80 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and give it a good stir. Stick the dish back in the oven and cook for 10 more minutes. The polenta, again, can be "jazzed up" anyway you like it while cooking, ie, cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc

thanks Muggle!

I have it printed out in front of me now. :D

Sounds delish!

When you take it out of the oven it will still be malleable?

It depends somewhat on the size baking dish used. A small deep dish and it will be more malleable than if you use a larger flatter dish. again, different brands of cornmeal will result in softer or harder polenta. It takes a little experimenting with the oven time.

Oh yeah, when eating it for breakfast I like to pour a wee bit of maple syrup on it and mix it in....soooo good.

Recipie by Muggle:

Corn Pudding guaranteed to please. :D

2 (11 oz) cans corn

11/2 tablespoon flour

3 tablespoons sugar

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup milk

3 tablespoons butter

Blend all ingredients 10 seconds at high speed in a food processor. Then pour into a greased baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes.

(muggle I moved this for you)

Boy, I have not seen this in ages! My grandmother and aunt always made this...but with fresh corn, broken up against a grater.

Yummy!

It depends somewhat on the size baking dish used. A small deep dish and it will be more malleable than if you use a larger flatter dish. again, different brands of cornmeal will result in softer or harder polenta. It takes a little experimenting with the oven time.

Oh yeah, when eating it for breakfast I like to pour a wee bit of maple syrup on it and mix it in....soooo good.

Thanks muggle!

• 10 months later...

This recipe is my specialty. One of the neat things about it is, if you use extra lean ground beef, you wind up with a relatively low fat, and very healthy meal, that qualifies as "comfort food".

Almost Cabbage Rolls

Loosely mix together:

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef

1 large onion - diced

1 cup long grain rice

several cloves of grated garlic (I use lots)

2 tsp pepper

a dash of salt

Layer 4 cups of coarsely chopped cabbage in the bottom of a large casserole dish.

Layer half of the hamburger mixture on top of this.

Add another 4 cup layer of chopped cabbage, then the other half of the hamburger mixture, then 4 more cups of chopped cabbage. Make sure that it is loosely layered - do not pack it down.

Mix together:

1 22 oz. can tomato sauce

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1 1/2 tbsp. mustard powder

Pour over the top of ingredients in casserole dish and let sit for 20 minutes minimum.

Bake covered in a 325 degree oven for 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

I've found that this tastes particularly nummy when served up with freshly-baked, still warm from the oven, cranberry-orange bread - spread with real butter. The way I make it is I use a raisin bread recipe, substitute thawed orange juice concentrate for the water, and craisins for the raisins.

• 1 month later...

This recipe makes a nice addition to any meal:

Pepper Salad

1 - 14oz can green beans (drained)

1 - 12oz can kernel corn (drained)

1/2 cup chopped green pepper

1/2 cup chopped red pepper

1/2 cup each of any other colour bell pepper you would like

1 cup sliced celery

1/2 cup sliced green onion

Dressing:

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup salad oil

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

Mix together and pour over vegetables. Refrigerate.

notes:

If you double the vegetables, you don't need to double the dressing.

The recipe lends itself to quite a bit of "customization". The first time I ever had this, my sister had added a can of white beans (drained and rinsed) to it. I would think that garbanzo beans (chick peas) would make a nice addition, as well. You could also substitute the can of kernel corn with a can or two of those mini corncobs.

• 2 weeks later...

When the lights are dimmed and its dark and cold outside add an extra glow and sparkle with these simple recipes.

HOT BUTTERED RUM = Preheat mug and add 2 oz rum, 1 tsp sugar, 1 stick of cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg. Fill with boiling water and add a pat of butter. Dip a cube of sugar in rum, light it and float it on top of buttered rum.

FLAMING BANANAS = Cut 2 bananas in half lengthwise. In a large skillet melt 4 tbsp butter, then add 3/4 cup of brown sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon. When the sugar melts and the mixture begins to thicken, place the bananas in the pan and cook until soft. Remove from heat, add 1 oz of rum and 1/2 oz of Bols Creme de Bananes. Light it up to flame and serve hot and lots of whipped cream.

And last, but not least, ideal for the man who can't *do* desserts

ICE CREAM SURPRISE

Take a wide brimmed glass ideally with a stem fill it with your OH's favourite ice cream (you could sprinkle with grated chocolate, or add a few fruit segments), place a small sparkler in the top and light it. Of course the kids would love this as well. :-)