Recipies, Part Two

Michelle

I love this dessert for when I have no time for anything clever.

1 packet biscuits - (you can use most types, but ginger, digestive or choc chip cookies work best)

250ml double cream

sherry, whisky or orange juice

1 cadbury's flake and/or trifle decorations to suit

Whip the cream until it is stiff.

Dip each biscuit in the sherry, whisky or orange juice depending on your tastes, and then sandwich together with about 1/2 the double cream.

leave in fridge for 1 - 2 hours to mature.

Before serving, spread the rest of the cream over the biscuit roll, and decorate with crushed flake or decorations to suit (mandarin oranges are a great decoration if you use orange juice)

Serves 6 -8

Quick and easy low sugar lemon cheesecake

For the base:

100g no added sugar muesli

50g butter

For the topping

250g mascarpone cheese, or low fat Philedelphia if you are very virtuous

250ml double cream

4 level tablespoons of Splenda low sugar sweetener

juice and rind of 1 lemon

Melt the butter and mix with the muesli. Press into a cake tin base and put in fridge to set.

Whip the double cream until fairly stiff

In a separate bowl mix the cheese, sugar, lemon juice and rind together, and then add the cream, stirring with a metal spoon.

Spoon the mixture onto the base and return to fridge to set for a minimum of 1 hour

Debbie

• 1 month later...

Angel - This is a recipie for krustini. Hope they come out all right.

Krustini are a traditional biscuit which is not too sweet and usually baked all the year round. These are twice baked biscuits which are spotted with whole roasted almonds and are often used as dunkers in tea and coffee.

Here is what you need to make around 40:

60g soft unsalted butter

250g castor sugar

2 eggs

400g plain flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

150g whole almonds -- not blanched

Start off by placing the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and stirring until smooth. Next add the eggs one at a time and then the flour and baking powder. Add the nuts and give the mixture a thorough stir.

Now, line a biscuit tray with baking paper and place the mixture on the tray in the form of 2 or three sausages.

Bake the rolls in a preheated oven at 180C for 20 minutes. They will still be soft at this point.

Once the first bake is done, cut the rolls up into 2 cm slices and place them flat on the tray. Return the tray to the oven and bake again until they are golden. This should take around 10 minutes.

Once the krustini have cooled, place them in a biscuit tin or an airtight container, they should keep for a week.

Or you can do like I did and eat them all at once! that way they will not go stale for sure.

Bon apetite

• 2 weeks later...

I found this recipie for bread (on the net). i have never baked bread in my life, so do not have any idea if this comes out like it is supposed to!

It does not seem difficult though!

Hobz (Maltese Bread)

Ingredients

600g flour

10g salt

15g sugar

15g margerine

25g yeast

345ml luke warm water

1 tablespoon milk

Method

Mix the four, salt and margerine. Add the yeast. Make a mixture of the luke warm water, sugar and the milk. Add on to the flour and knead the mixture well until the dough is white and elasticated. Place in a bowl, seal with cling film and a wet dish towel, place in a warm place for about 1 hour. Work the dough, cut into small pieces (50g). Place on a baking tray, paste with egg, cut with a knife and let the pieces rest for about 15 minutes. Cook in oven 450F (232C) gas mark 6-8 for 12-15 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Kell's Chickpea & Chorizo Soup

Ingredients:

1 tin chopped tomatoes

1 small can of tomato puree (or 1 tube)

1 small onion (diced)

1 clove garlic (minced)

1/2 can of chickpeas

50g chorizo (diced into small cubes)

1 ham stock cube

Dash of Balsamic vinegar

Pinch each of paprika, oregano, salt & pepper

1. Pop the can of tomatoes, along with the puree, onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar, herbs & spices into a large pan. Fill the tomato can with water & add it to the pan. Crumble in the stock cube & bring to the boil.

2. Simmer for around 15 minutes till the onion is tender, then pop it all in the blender (or use a hand blender - that's what I do).

3. Return the smooth soup to the pan & add the chickpeas & the chorizo. Simmer for a further 20 minutes.

4. Serve with crusty rolls.

If you don't have Balsamic vinegar, you can use a dash of Worcester sauce instead (or, if you fancy, pop it in as well - it's lovely!). You should get 4 servings of soup from this recipe. If the soup's a little thick for your liking, just add a drop more water till you have the desired consistency.

I have to admit, this is my favourite soup as it's so quick & easy to make & it tastes DELICIOUS!

• 2 weeks later...

ARTICHOKE STEW

6-10 large artichokes,

4 onions - chopped

1 small pkt broad beans - skins removed

1 cup fresh peas

2 leeks

Fresh garlic and herbs,

1 tin chopped tomatoes

2 cups stock (or more)

1 pkt dry mixed beans

Salt and pepper to taste.

Start off by gently frying the chopped onions, add the garlic and herbs, and the leeks. Next, mix in the chopped tomatoes and add stock or water to make the sauce fairly runny. Add the beans.

Now prepare the artichokes by stripping away the outer leaves and place the hearts in the sauce and simmer. When almost done, add the broad beans and the fresh peas. Continue simmering until all the vegetables are done.

I came across another recipie for artichokes. Have never tried it before.

Pasta with fresh artichokes

Here is what you need to serve 2 (sauce):

4 small fresh globe artichokes

1 large can of tuna

2 tomatoes

fresh parsley

fresh thyme

olive oil

spring onions

vegetable stock

Start off by removing the outer layers from the artichokes, cutting into quarters and slicing off the top part of the remaining leaves.

Now, place your spring onions in a pan with a little olive oil and add the artichoke hearts. Should fresh artichokes not be in season, you can always substitute with tinned or frozen ones. Now add some vegetable stock, fresh or a diluted stock cube and allow the artichokes to cook through.

Should you be using the tinned ones, then very little stock is required since these are already cooked. Once the artichokes soften and are cooked through, add the tuna and tomatoes.

Make sure you deseed the tomatoes and cut them into smallish chunks. Next add the fresh herbs and a little more stock if required.

Once your pasta is cooked, drain it well and stir into the sauce. Once you plate the dish, drizzle a little olive oil on each plate.

Recipe for Red Onion Marmalade - ala Gordon Ramsay

2 Red Onions

50g Butter

1tbl sp Brown Sugar

1 tbl sp.Balsamic Vinegar

Gently fry down sliced red onions until soft, (not browned) in the butter.

Add sugar and cook for further 4-5 mins until caramelised. Drain excess fat, add balsamic vinegar. Cook for 2-3 mins until syrupy. Set aside marmalade to cool down.

Although extremely simple, it is delicious!!!!

• 1 month later...

I found this recipe on Giada De Laurentiis' website. I think it could easily be adapted to take advantage of just about any summer fruit, including peaches, apricots, & strawberries.

RASPBERRY TIRAMISU

by Giada De Laurentiis

The great thing about this dessert is that you actually have to prepare it ahead of time. The longer it sits, the better it tastes.

1 cup seedless raspberry jam

6 tablespoons Grand Marnier

1 pound mascarpone cheese, at room temperature

1 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

48 soft ladyfingers (2 3-ounce packages) or 40 dry Italian ladyfingers (2 packages)

3 baskets fresh raspberries ( _ dry pint, about 3 _ cups total)

confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Stir together the jam and 4 tablespoons of the Grand Marnier in a small bowl to blend.

Stir together the mascarpone and remaining 2 tablespoons of Grand Marnier in a large bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Using a large rubber spatula, stir a fourth of the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture to lighten. Fold the remaining whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture.

Line the bottom of a trifle bowl or other decorative serving dish with a third of the ladyfingers. Spread a third of the jam mixture over the ladyfingers. Spread a third of the mascarpone mixture over the jam mixture, then cover with a third of the fresh raspberries. Repeat layering with the remaining ladyfingers, jam mixture, mascarpone mixture, and raspberries. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.

Dust the confectioners' sugar over the top and serve.

I made an easy peach cobbler last night...

I drained two large cans of peaches (fresh ones aren't quite in season yet).

Reserved the juice of one can, added a generous amount of freshly grated cinnamon, some nutmeg, and a dash of sea salt, then thickened it over med heat with cornstarch dissolved in a bit of water.

Once the sauce was thickened, I added the drained peaches.

I made a sweet scone dough, patted it out into a round almost as large as the baking dish and about 1/4" thick, put the peaches in the dish, topped it with strips of the dough, sprinkled demerara sugar on top and baked until it was bubbly and the dough golden brown.

Here's the result:

PeachCobbler.jpg[/img]

Make your own potato cakes. They are much cheaper than buying them. I'm not sure of the quantities. We just guess, but just mix your left over mash potato with flour, shape, grill, stick on your butter/cheese or whatever and there you go. We even thought of mix vegetables with them for an easy high energy nutritious meal.

• 2 weeks later...

This dish is incredibly popular among the vegetarian crowd where I live/grew up.

2 pints cottage cheese

1 large onion, finely minced

1 cup English walnuts, minced

3 packets of vegetable broth powder (I use G Washington, but I'm sure there are brands in the UK and elsewhere that will work fine. Just make sure the cubes are meant to make 1 cup of broth when added to water)

1 box Kellog's Special K cereal

5 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup butter, melted

Combine all ingredients except cereal, stir well to mix, then gently fold in the cereal, taking care to thoroughly incorporate all ingredients.

Pack firmly in a 13X9X2 baking dish that's been sprayed with release agent. Bake at 350* F for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

You can serve this with any gravy, but every time I take it someplace, the gravy goes untouched. :D

Margarita Chicken

This recipe is a bit time consuming but well worth the extra effort.

4 chicken breast fillets

2 C. fried tortilla strips

1/2 C. shredded jack cheese

1/2 C. shredded Cheddar cheese

Marinade:

1/2 C. water

1/4 C. tamari or soy sauce

8 T. lime juice

2 t. minced garlic

1 t. mesquite liquid smoke

1/4 t. minced fresh ginger

2 T. tequila

Southwestern Ranch dressing:

1/4 C. mayonnaise

1/4 C. sour cream

1 T. milk

1 T. minced tomato

1 1/2 t. white vinegar

2 t. minced canned jalapeno slices

1 t. minced onion

1 t. minced fresh parsley

1/2 t. Tabasco sauce

1/8 t. each salt, dill weed, cayenne, cumin, granulated garlic

1/2 t. chili powder

Dash ground black pepper

Prepare marinade by combining marinade ingredients in medium bowl. Pound chicken breasts til they are about

• 2 weeks later...

Basic Polenta for 4. The lazy man way.

1 quart water

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup cornmeal

1 tablespoon butter

Combine water, salt, cornmeal, and butter in a 11/2 to 2 quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and give it a good stir. Stick the dish back in the oven and cook for 10 more minutes. The polenta, again, can be "jazzed up" anyway you like it while cooking, ie, cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc

Basic Polenta for 6 to 8. The lazy man way.

2 quarts water

2 teaspoons salt

2 cups cornmeal

2 tablespoons butter

Combine water, salt, cornmeal, and butter in a 2 to 3 quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 80 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and give it a good stir. Stick the dish back in the oven and cook for 10 more minutes. The polenta, again, can be "jazzed up" anyway you like it while cooking, ie, cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc