Long Time, No See.

megustaleer

Popping in again after a long absence (10years?).

I joined The Book Club Forum at a time when I was reading voraciously, was already a member of several book groups, and looking for more.

Eventually I had to slim down my reading, and  my book clubs. As I had been a member of BookGroupOnline since it started that was the one I stayed with and have been a moderator there for a good number of years. 

Sadly, BookGroup Online is planning to close later this year so, as the link this group is still in my toolbar I decided to check it out.

I am pleased with what i have found - not least that you are now hosted by Invision, which has hosted BGO for about seven years, so the layout here feels comfortably similar.

I am not likely to be a frequent poster, as I read very little these days (for a variety of reasons), but will be a regular 'lurker', and am happy to recommend Book Club Forum to any BGO members who are looking for a new home for when BGO is no more.

Hi, welcome back! I'm really sorry to hear that BookGroupOnline is closing. I know it's been running for a long time and members are going to have a lot of history together. This forum nearly closed a couple of years ago too and it really made me realise how much I'd miss all the people I've met here. Thank you for recommending us. I would like to think that this can be a place for BGO members to stay together. 

You've actually arrived at a bit of a chaotic time for us as we're in the middle of moving (as you noticed yourself) totally over to Invision (rather than being self-hosted). We had a few hours offline the other day for a backup to be carried out but we aren't fully moved just yet! It's an exciting time too though. The move should have us running much more smoothly and open up a few new options :) 

Several other members from here joined BGO around the same time as you, when it looked as though Book Club Forum was closing. It was hoped that they would bring new life to us, but most drifted away - I hope that was to support the revived forum here, not because they had abandoned online bookgroups altogether.

Welcome everyone. :006:

Sorry to hear about your forum closing. I remember when this one nearly did and was very sad about it. Thankfully Hayley stepped in and saved the day! (Where's a superhero smiley when you need one)

I hope you can all find a home from home here :)

On 29/01/2021 at 12:35 PM, megustaleer said:

Several other members from here joined BGO around the same time as you, when it looked as though Book Club Forum was closing. It was hoped that they would bring new life to us, but most drifted away - I hope that was to support the revived forum here, not because they had abandoned online bookgroups altogether.

Hi megustaleer. 

Yes I came back here. 

Welcome here. 😊

Oh wow, hi everyone!! How nice to see/have some more people! I am so sorry BGO will close :( .

I was a member of BGO a long time ago, in 2013. I remember though that at some point something went wrong, and some (months? of) posts were lost. Since I was a new member, that meant all of my posts at the time, from what I recall. So at the time I did make a few more posts after that, but at some point I stopped going there. Ah, I've just logged in to the Book Group Online forum, seems I registered in February 2013 but if I look at the earliest post I made, it was in August 2013, and I see that what I'm typing was after the posts were lost. Now I regret not having stayed :(.

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I've just logged in to the Book Group Online forum, seems I registered in February 2013 but if I look at the earliest post I made, it was in August 2013, 

You were right first time. You joined BGO before the last crash, and had to re-register. There was some problem with the re-registration, which David sorted out for you and you re-registered, just as you thought, in February 2013. your first post from then is still to be found, 5th post down, here - -https://www.bookgrouponline.com/topic/4214-currently-reading/page/163/#comments  (Sorry, I am having trouble getting the Link button to work)

Since we changed to Invision as our host  we have been trouble free - no more crashes, but David was taken ill at the end of 2013, and sadly died the following February.

BGO has never really recovered.  

Edited by megustaleer

21 hours ago, megustaleer said:

You were right first time. You joined BGO before the last crash, and had to re-register. There was some problem with the re-registration, which David sorted out for you and you re-registered, just as you thought, in February 2013. your first post from then is still to be found, 5th post down, here - -https://www.bookgrouponline.com/topic/4214-currently-reading/page/163/#comments  (Sorry, I am having trouble getting the Link button to work)

Since we changed to Invision as our host  we have been trouble free - no more crashes, but David was taken ill at the end of 2013, and sadly died the following February.

BGO has never really recovered. 

:weeping::cry2: I am so sorry to hear of his passing.

Thank you for explaining to me what happened.

(yes the link button is broken at the moment unfortunately, but it should be fixed once the forum is hosted with the new hosts).

Edited by Athena

Hello everyone! I'm another BGO refugee. I've kept a low profile there, admittedly, doing little more than posting and maintaining my annual log of books read, but I like the layout here, and may drop a few comments while I'm nosing around looking to see what other people are reading! Good to see so many BGO names and avatars here already!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 12:00 PM, pvincent said:

Hello everyone! I'm another BGO refugee. I've kept a low profile there, admittedly, doing little more than posting and maintaining my annual log of books read, but I like the layout here, and may drop a few comments while I'm nosing around looking to see what other people are reading! Good to see so many BGO names and avatars here already!

Hi there! 

why did you leave BGO?:giggle2: