Chrissy's Reading 2021 and Beyond

Welcome to my reading thread. 

I will stick with my usual set up, of listing the books up here, and writing about them below. 

Happy Reading!

1) Magnus Chase & The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

2) Magnus Chase & The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan

3) Magnus Chase & The Ship of The Dead by Rick Riordan

4) Tod Hunter Moon : Path-Finder by Angie Sage

5) Tod Hunter Moon : Sand-Rider by Angie Sage

6) Tod Hunter Moon : Star-Chaser by Angie Sage

7) Magyk by Angie Sage

8) Flyte by Angie Sage

9) Physik by Angie Sage

10) Queste by Angie Sage

11) Syren by Angie Sage

12) Darke by Angie Sage

13) Fyre  by Angie Sage

14) 9 From The Nine Worlds by Rick Riordan

15) Hunting In Bruges by EL Stevens

16) Hard Time by Jodi Taylor

Edited by Chrissy

1), 2) & 3) Magnus Chase trilogy by Rick Riordan

I am a big fan of Rick Riordan. He makes myths and legends accessible by wrapping them in adventures that thread through their origins, locations and meanings. I have read his previous books that look at Greek, Roman, and Egyptian myths and legends and thoroughly enjoyed them. The usual YA premise of a parental absence enables the central characters undertake the adventures they are destined for.  In these books, effort, friendship, loyalty, bravery, and duty are all applauded. Riordan also enables the reader to understand that all these seemingly competing mythologies can co-exist, they overlap and complement, and it hinges on the living to remember. 

With the Magnus Chase trilogy, Riordan effortlessly manages to again depict variance of race and sexuality. but additionally faith and gender, and into some really well developed stories. It doesn't jar, or feel 'inserted', but is merely a part of development of the characters.  An Islamic Valkyrie must only balance her Norse duties with her schoolwork and her grandparents expectations, not her faith. It is really well done, and feels organic rather than 'woke'. 

4), 5) & 6) Tod Hunter Moon Trilogy by Angie Sage

Many years ago (15?) We went on holiday to Scotland, and I had (daringly) planned on buying some books to read once we were there, rather than taking a pile of them with me. In a supermarket I happened upon a gorgeous squarish shaped hardback book with a delightful and intriguing cover. I HAD to have it! 61kYSkFRwpL._SX368_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This began my reading love affair with Angie Sage and the world she created for the seven books of Septimus Heap. I made sure I bought each book in hardback as it came out. I have since bought them for my kindle. When I saw the Tod Hunter Moon books, I bought the kindle versions as they became cheaply available, but have only just got around to reading them. What a delight they have been. A new and such an interesting character who overlaps wonderfully with the characters I grew to love in the Septimus Heap series. This is a world so well drawn, so wonderfully filled with extraordinary people and creatures. 

Nothing beats the delight for me of finding and immersing myself within the pages of a brilliantly written story, the kind that makes me sorrowful when I reach the final pages. Angie Sage has managed to do that to me with two of her series now. I know some are quite snobby about YA reading, but good writing is good writing, no matter the designated demographic of the reader. I read and immensely enjoy many 'grown up' books, and I hope never to lose my hunger for a story that nourishes. 

I am now about to launch myself into a re read of the Septimus stories, Tod Hunter has given me an urge for a visit. Reading wise, for now, I'll stick with m'urges. ;)

I've not heard of these books, or the author, but I have to agree; that cover would draw me in. I also agree with the YA thing. I don't understand the snobbery. As you say, good writing is good writing.

15 hours ago, SaraPepparkaka said:

Why would you miss all those good books just because they're YA? 

Well HELLO there! How lovely to 'see' you. :flowers2:

13 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I just finished two books by Katherine Arden and keenly await this year's third to make the trio. All three were aimed at 10 - 12 year olds. I read them anyway and they are great. Good writing is good writing and I don't see why the children/YA should have all the fun.

I thoroughly agree! :smile: 

7) Magyk, 8)Flyte, 9) Physik, 10) Queste, 11) Syren, 12) Darke, & 13) Fyre 

My re-visit to the world of Septimus Heap has come to an end, and I feel suitably adrift! Such a wonderfully crafted series, with each book winding and twining through each of the others. Lovely stuff! 

14) 9 From The Nine Worlds by Rick Riordan

A book of short stories from the world of Magnus Chase, he of the Norse mythology series by Rick Riordan. Witty and wonderful nuggets about characters I grew to love from the series. A book to keep my reading mojo ticking over. 

3 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Such a wonderfully crafted series, with each book winding and twining through each of the others

I was telling my sister about this series (because I knew she’d love the sound of it too) and she just surprised me with the full set of books! The condition being that she gets to read them afterwards :lol:. I’m so excited to get stuck into them based on your reviews!

16 hours ago, Hayley said:

I was telling my sister about this series (because I knew she’d love the sound of it too) and she just surprised me with the full set of books! The condition being that she gets to read them afterwards :lol:. I’m so excited to get stuck into them based on your reviews!

Oh My! The pressure on me for you to like them! Arghhhhhh! :o I stand by my love of the series, come what may. :yes:  *gulp*