The Last Film You Saw

Athena

• 2 weeks later...

Last night on Prime Video I watched the film "Lucky" starring Harry Dean Stanton. It is about a very old guy in the last years of his life and in fact I believe the excellent character actor, Harry Dean Stanton, may have been 91 when he made the film. Stanton died shortly after making the movie. This movie is not for everyone as it is not a fast paced film but if you pay attention there are a few magical moments. I loved the movie and as a result looked up the bio on Harry Dean Stanton who was one of the great character actors of all time.

Raven, I think that maybe you might like this movie.

Luna, you may also enjoy it.

Edited by muggle not

Watched  Idris Elba vs a demented killer Lion in 'Beast' (2022)  and while it was a way of passing ninety minutes, I suppose I could have been reading a good book. The most annoying thing about this were the two teenage daughters of Elba's character,who were simply loud and irritating throughout. And unable to follow simple commands,like 'stay in the car!' at all times.

I watched Jurassic World Dominion for the first time this week after hearing very mixed reviews about it and I must agree with those that said it’s not the best. It’s my least favourite of all the Jurassic Park/World movies (I think), but it has put me in the mood to go back and watch the original one so I’m planning on doing that this coming weekend. I may even watch the entire franchise over the next week or so and then read the original books they’re based on. I’m pretty sure I have read the first book but can’t really remember it all that much, mainly because whenever I think of Jurassic Park I automatically think/remember the movie so it will be good to be able to compare them properly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rewatched for the umpteenth time, 'Alien', 'Aliens', Alien 3' and 'Alien Resurrection'. The first two have always been good, on their repective levels, three was always a poor film; but I managed to see the 'Special Edition' of Alien 3 and it has an extra thirty minutes of footage added,and works much better overall. 'Resurrection' was always a divisive film,and I always liked it anyway! But watching it again after some years, it still by and large works for me, for what it is!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For my first visit to a cinema since xmas 2019, I saw "Empire of Light" today, with Olivia Colman. It took me a while to get into it, but overall I thought it was good, several different storylines, some particular to the time - very early 1980s so lots for nostalgia fans to admire, and good performances all round too.

• 5 weeks later...

I read loads in January but struggled a bit this month so I have been watching movies instead. It's a bit of a mix of old and newer stuff.

All Quiet on the Western Front - 4/5

Cop Car - 3/5

Boiling Point - 4/5

The Hatchet Wielding Hitchiker - 1/5

The Hunt for Red October - 3.5/5

Shooter - 2.5/5

Hereditary - 3.5/5

Kiki's Delivery Service - 4/5

3:10 to Yuma - 3.5/5

Howl's Moving Castle - 3/5

Looper - 3.5/5

The Karate Kid (1984) - 3/5

Boiling Point is the movie that really stood out for me. It is a true one-take film without any cuts or edits. If I remember correctly they did 4 performances of it and picked the best for release. Stephen Graham is always great in whatever he does but the supporting cast here are all very good, especially Vinette Robinson. I haven't felt tension like this watching a movie for many years. It's really worth watching.

I'm still spending much more time watching movies instead of reading books. In the last week I have watched the following.

The Karate Kid Part II - 3/5

Daybreakers - 2.5/5

The Karate Kid Part III - 2.5/5

Full Metal Jacket - 5/5

Full Metal Jacket is my favourite movie of all time and I treated myself to the 4k UHD version of it. Watching it in 4k is a great experience.

• 1 month later...

Out of boredom and lack of choice really, I recently re-watched 'Journey to the Centre of The Earth' (1959)

on TV. James Mason, Pat Boone and Diane Baker in a pretty good (although loose!) adaptation of the Jules Verne book. Ray Harryhausen 'monsters', officially some kind of dinosaur, in reality Chameleons with stuck on fins and horns! Good fun and it passes a couple of hours painlessly if you like this kind of thing. My only bugbear when I first saw it and now, is the way Pat Boone has to shovel in a few bits of singing now and then!

3 hours ago, timebug said:

Out of boredom and lack of choice really, I recently re-watched 'Journey to the Centre of The Earth' (1959)

on TV. James Mason, Pat Boone and Diane Baker in a pretty good (although loose!) adaptation of the Jules Verne book. Ray Harryhausen 'monsters', officially some kind of dinosaur, in reality Chameleons with stuck on fins and horns! Good fun and it passes a couple of hours painlessly if you like this kind of thing. My only bugbear when I first saw it and now, is the way Pat Boone has to shovel in a few bits of singing now and then!

I used to love these old films!  

• 2 weeks later...