The Last Film You Saw

Athena

• 1 month later...

In the past couple of weeks I have seen (thanks to my digital streaming device!): 'No Time to Die' which I thought was okay, with a big surprise that I did not see coming(!), 'Last Night In Soho' which I enjoyed,although it has mixed reviews online, 'Red Notice' a fun crime romp with Ryan Reynolds and Dwayne Johnson, plus the lovely Gal Gadot; and re-watched (for the nth time!) 'The Great Escape' and 'The One That Got Away' both POW excape films, and both 'true' stories,aside from the ludicrous capers in 'Great Escape' after the prisoners actually escape. A true story, up to the point of the escape; after that, pure hollywood hokum!

• 1 month later...

I saw Titane at the cinema. It was a French film by a female director, Julia Ducournau. There are quite a few of them these days. It was rather David Cronenbergesque. It was very violent, and very arty. I am rather squeamish and found it unpleasant. However, I heard Mark Kermode, the film critic, say it was superb.

• 2 months later...

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Return of the King, over two consecutive nights. 

I haven't seen either for a number of years now, so I quite enjoyed watching them again (the recent re-read of both books added to the experience as well!)

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Benedetta at the cinema. It's about a Lesbian nun who fakes stigmata in order to aggrandise herself. It is based on real events, but I suspect it is very loosely based.

Edited by KEV67

• 3 months later...

I've watched Spiderman: Far From Home last night which was really good. I had obviously read about Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield being in the movie which I thought might've been just to try to get some nostalgia money but it is actually done really well.

I am very late to the Marvel MCU though as I only started watching them this year as all my colleagues at work are obsessed with Marvel and I decided to watch them so I wasn't left out 🤣. Overall have been surprised by them (the earlier films I didn't enjoy as much but when they started to cross over they got much better).

Just now, MikeWilson said:

I've watched Spiderman: Far From Home last night which was really good. I had obviously read about Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield being in the movie which I thought might've been just to try to get some nostalgia money but it is actually done really well.

I am very late to the Marvel MCU though as I only started watching them this year as all my colleagues at work are obsessed with Marvel and I decided to watch them so I wasn't left out 🤣. Overall have been surprised by them (the earlier films I didn't enjoy as much but when they started to cross over they got much better).

Sorry Spiderman: No Way Home 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 4:34 PM, Madeleine said:

A Quiet Place II  -enjoyed it but thought the ending was very abrupt.

Did you have trouble hearing some of the dialogue, particularly from Cillian Murphy’s character or was it just me?  I think when I rewatch it I’m going to have put the subtitles on as even turning the sound up didn’t make too much difference.

I’m currently working my way through a re-watch of the Scream films; four down one to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched 'Thor: Love and Thunder' and was thouroughly dischuffed by it! The first three 'Thor; films were (IMO) good fun with decent enough stories and comic book action. This one was a CGI Bore-fest from the word go! I am not a reader of the Marvel comics that these were taken from, and have not seen the ten thousand other Marvel films that (apparently) all inter-connect to form a whole; but this on was just tripe.

....And then, I watched 'Prey'. Having seen all of the previous 'Predator' films and noted that each one was worse than the one before, I came to this with very low expectations. Which were mostly correct. It had the odd scene that tried to make it rise above 'duh!' level but very few. Basic plot is that the Predator arrives on Earth three hundred years ago. A young girl in the local Cheyenne tribe starts to work out that in the woods, is something unpleasant. Enter a bunch of French Canadian trappers, uncouth and villainous, and prepare for mayhem. Nice idea, badly done, equals dull film.Next!

On 9/11/2022 at 9:12 AM, timebug said:

Watched 'Thor: Love and Thunder' and was thouroughly dischuffed by it! The first three 'Thor; films were (IMO) good fun with decent enough stories and comic book action. This one was a CGI Bore-fest from the word go! I am not a reader of the Marvel comics that these were taken from, and have not seen the ten thousand other Marvel films that (apparently) all inter-connect to form a whole; but this on was just tripe.

I've seen all of the Marvel films to date, and the Disney+ series as well, and I'd have to say this is probably one of the weakest MCU offerings so far. 

I wasn't a huge fan of Ragnarok, as I didn't like the way it turned Thor into an idiot, and although I've warmed to it a bit on subsequent viewings this film laboured that "joke" far too much (there wasn't a lot new here overall, actually; it was basically the plot from Ragnarok reheated).  Also, the Mighty Thor plot line (with Jane Foster) is something I've read some of in comic book form and I was disappointed with the way they handled that (the comic books did it a lot better!)

On 9/12/2022 at 8:29 AM, timebug said:

....And then, I watched 'Prey'. Having seen all of the previous 'Predator' films and noted that each one was worse than the one before, I came to this with very low expectations. Which were mostly correct. It had the odd scene that tried to make it rise above 'duh!' level but very few. Basic plot is that the Predator arrives on Earth three hundred years ago. A young girl in the local Cheyenne tribe starts to work out that in the woods, is something unpleasant. Enter a bunch of French Canadian trappers, uncouth and villainous, and prepare for mayhem. Nice idea, badly done, equals dull film.Next!

I really enjoyed Prey! Yes, it's the same ole Predator plot, but it was done well, with some stunning visuals, and I'd personally say it is the best Predator film since the first one.

I watched Crimes from the Future by David Cronenberg yesterday. It was classic David Cronenberg basically. I don't really like his films. They are too horrible. OTOH I don't like most modern films. They are too 5h1t. It was alright if you don't mind stomach churning repulsiveness.

Edited by KEV67

I was re-watching Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom on Sunday as it was on TV - admittedly I prefer Raiders Of The Lost Ark or The Last Crusade but was fun to watch, still love the mine cart chase and the bridge scene at the end, plus it's quite dark atmosphere and story (better than Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull anyway) 🤣

7 hours ago, MikeWilson said:

I was re-watching Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom on Sunday as it was on TV - admittedly I prefer Raiders Of The Lost Ark or The Last Crusade but was fun to watch, still love the mine cart chase and the bridge scene at the end, plus it's quite dark atmosphere and story (better than Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull anyway) 🤣

We watched a couple of these again recently, too. Always fun ... the snake pit though! 😱

I still enjoy the first 3 Indiana Jones films, Crystal Skull is best forgotten!  Trouble is though, the earlier films are often heavily edited when they're shown early in the evening, or in the afternoon, so if you're not familiar with them some parts can be rather jarring, as it cuts suddenly to another scene without showing what happened previously (I'm thinking of the scene in Raiders, when Indy has the fight with the very large man, and the bad guy has a plane with propellers coming towards him.... it just suddenly changes to the next scene).  They've obviously cut out some of the more gruesome scenes, but I don't think it's done very subtly!

On 9/21/2022 at 11:46 AM, Madeleine said:

I still enjoy the first 3 Indiana Jones films, Crystal Skull is best forgotten!  Trouble is though, the earlier films are often heavily edited when they're shown early in the evening, or in the afternoon, so if you're not familiar with them some parts can be rather jarring, as it cuts suddenly to another scene without showing what happened previously (I'm thinking of the scene in Raiders, when Indy has the fight with the very large man, and the bad guy has a plane with propellers coming towards him.... it just suddenly changes to the next scene).  They've obviously cut out some of the more gruesome scenes, but I don't think it's done very subtly!

Oh yes I remember watching Raiders Of The Lost Ark in the afternoon and they cut out the shot with the propeller, I think some parts of the bar fight were cut out as well from memory and when the Ark gets opened.  It's really strange though as the films are a PG and I remember watching them when I was little with those scenes and they didn't bother me too much (Remember finding parts of Temple of Doom a bit scary especially when Indy is possessed but not too bad).

On 9/21/2022 at 2:06 PM, Hux said:

Part IV is called Indiana Jones And the 'Realm of Zimmer frames.'

There is a fifth one coming out next year which I don't think I can bring myself to watch 😂🙈