The Last Film You Saw

Athena

This topic is for posting about any films you have recently watched.

P.S. No spoilers in this thread except in spoiler tags (like in the bookish threads).

And I'm kind of a bore because I haven't seen a film in some time. It is difficult for me to concentrate for that long a time, and films are only getting longer these days (in comparison to the 20th century when a lot of films were about 1h 30 mins). I struggle with much shorter times than that. Anyway.. feel free to post about any films you've seen or a film you plan to see etc.

These films I saw in 2020:

Johnny English Strikes Again

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Ready Player One (re-watch)

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Beverly Hills Cop
Beverly Hills Cop II

Beverly Hills Cop III

Airplane

Ocean's 8

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (re-watch)

Iron Sky: The Coming Race

Dirty Dancing (re-watch)

Well one film I saw recently (I think I watched it in about mid-December) was a film I really should have seen by now (given I'm 47!!) and that was The Godfather! It was utterly brilliant and totally lives up to its reputation. Just need to watch part 2 and 3 now!

I don't watch a lot of films but my niece was over a couple of days ago (it sounds weird saying you had someone over now doesn't it? Her and her mom are my 'bubble', if anybody's wondering) and she wanted to watch the new Baywatch film (mainly, I think, because she loves Dwayne Johnson). I think it might be the weirdest film I've ever seen. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went back and watched Coming to America be for I watched Coming 2 America
its the first time I watched it from start to finish, I was lol though out the movies I thought it was great 7.5/10

Watched Coming 2 America today I did not expect it to be as good but I never expected it to so far off, 3.5/10

• 4 months later...
19 hours ago, Virginia said:

Question, I'd anyone going into theaters to watch movies or are you paying lots of money to stream movies? Here in the States it's about $30.

I don't do either but $30 seems expensive! Is that for a particular subscription? 

3 hours ago, Hayley said:

I don't do either but $30 seems expensive! Is that for a particular subscription? 

If it is the same as over here, it's for premium access to new movies that are either currently in the cinema or are only being streamed (I'm pretty sure $30 is roughly what Disney+ are charging on top of their monthly subscription for access to Black Widow, for example).

It sounds like a lot in the context of one viewer, but if you are a family of four it's about the same as, or cheaper, than going to the cinema.

7 hours ago, Raven said:

If it is the same as over here, it's for premium access to new movies that are either currently in the cinema or are only being streamed (I'm pretty sure $30 is roughly what Disney+ are charging on top of their monthly subscription for access to Black Widow, for example).

It sounds like a lot in the context of one viewer, but if you are a family of four it's about the same as, or cheaper, than going to the cinema.

I am genuinely shocked. Although I know you're right that it works out well if you'd be buying cinema tickets for a whole family. Do you get to keep the film forever too? 

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

I am genuinely shocked. Although I know you're right that it works out well if you'd be buying cinema tickets for a whole family. Do you get to keep the film forever too? 

You can watch it as many times as you like, but it will be part of the regular service from October 6th so I don't see the point in paying extra at this point!

The price for Black Widow is £19.99 in the UK, btw. 

I mean, I GUESS, if I'm taking more than one of my grands to the movies, plus popcorn and a drank, I could spend more. It's just the idea of spending that amount on one movie. Makes no sense but I can't do it! LMBO!!

Edited by Virginia

5 hours ago, Virginia said:

I mean, I GUESS, if I'm taking more than one of my grands to the movies, plus popcorn and a drank, I could spend more. It's just the idea of spending that amount on one movie. Makes no sense but I can't do it! LMBO!!

How much would it normally take for you to get to see a film? (I mean, in the cinema, as an individual adult)

In the UK it varies wildly... 

My sister can get into her local for £5.00 whilst I have to pay about £12.00 (for a single ticket)

I watched the film adaptation of Jane Harper's book "The Dry" last night, it wasn't bad, stuck very closely to the book as far as I can remember, although obviously in the book there was much more background and character development.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Black Widow

If Marvel had made this film five years ago - when they should have - they might have gotten away with it, but following more recent MCU offerings this was a bit weak (it wasn't particularly well written and the action sequences weren't very convincing). 

It's a shame, Scarlett Johansson deserved better for what I am assuming will be her only solo effort.