Your Book Activity - January 2021

Athena

Two more books finished in the past 24 hours - seem to be on a bit of a reading 'trip' at the moment!  First off, Tim Blanning's biography of George I, The Lucky King, in the Penguin Monarchs series - a highly readable contribution, written in a nicely relaxed yet informative style. Can't decide on 4 or 5 out of 6.  Then an absolute gem of a book: Bringing Back the Beaver by Derek Gow. An account of just that, but probably the leading expert on the subject in this country.  He can write too! At least 5 out of 6, thinking of giving it a full 6.

On 28/01/2021 at 1:27 PM, Brian. said:

I’ve made a start on a new series this morning, The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.

Oooh I saw this recently (in the Waterstones sale maybe?) and thought it sounded good. Interested to see what you’ll think!

15 hours ago, willoyd said:

Two more books finished in the past 24 hours -

Wow! 

I finished Hollow City and if I had the next book I think I’d have gone straight on to it. You know when you get really invested in a story and then the book ends and you’re like ‘oh, now what?’ 

I think I’m going to read The Cuckoo Wood by M. Sean Coleman next. It sounds like a really intriguing mystery so hopefully it should be easy to get in to. 

Wow, it’s the first time I’ve used the Forum in January 2021, on the last day of the month :blush:. Reading mojo is excellent at the moment, but the sociability mojo is non existent! :ph34r:
Reading The Girl in The Tower (Winternight Trilogy #2) by Katherine Arden, read 78% so far, and I am enjoying it. 

On 1/28/2021 at 8:27 AM, Brian. said:

I’ve made a start on a new series this morning, The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.

I just finished reading Warlord, the last of his Saxon Tales series. I enjoyed all 15 books very much and recommend them highly.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:32 AM, Marie H said:

Wow, it’s the first time I’ve used the Forum in January 2021, on the last day of the month :blush:. Reading mojo is excellent at the moment, but the sociability mojo is non existent! :ph34r:
Reading The Girl in The Tower (Winternight Trilogy #2) by Katherine Arden, read 78% so far, and I am enjoying it. 

You are in for a real treat. The books are great reading. A bit of advice, when you finally finish book 3 of the Winternight Trilogy keep reading after the completion of the book as there is so much great info in the book after the story is finished and will explain so much that has happened in the whole series. The aftermath of the book right down to the very last word is as good as any aftermath in any book that I have read.

I just finished reading A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles. It was one of the best books that I have read in a number of years. Great writing and excellent storyline. The book gets better the further into it that you get. I am sad that I am finished with it.

Edited by muggle not

On 29/01/2021 at 3:32 PM, Hayley said:

Wow!

January turned out to be the best start to a year, at least in terms of numbers of books, since I started keeping records back in 2007 - which means best start since I was a child (reading, whilst always a passion, has taken off in the past few years) - 8 books completed. Definitely got my reading mojo as Marie so accurately puts it!  (Can't get link to name working by the way).

Finished my first book for February: borrowed Richard Osman's The Thursday Murder Club from OH: cracking read. I thought it might be a good one, otherwise why start it?!, but actually better than anticipated.  4/6, but at the top end of that range. May snaffle a 5 on reflection.  Glad I read it though rather than listen to the abridged version currently being read on Radio 4.

Edited by willoyd

• Athena unpinned this topic