Read-a-thons 2021

Athena

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My plan for the September read-a-thon is to finish Botanical Folk Tales, read at least four chapters of Silence and start a new novel (probably the next Septimus Heap book, but I haven't 100% decided yet). I've had one of those 'everything that could go wrong...' weeks, so looking forward to excusing myself for a good few hours of reading now! (I've even put on my socks that say 'Go away, I'm reading' on the bottom :lol:)

So far I have finished Botanical Folk Tales, read three chapters of Silence and 100 pages of Queste (the Septimus Heap book mentioned above). Hoping to read some more of the latter later on but I'm happy with that already! :) 

Has anybody else been doing the read-a-thon this month? 

On 9/10/2021 at 3:14 PM, Hayley said:

My plan for the September read-a-thon is to finish Botanical Folk Tales, read at least four chapters of Silence and start a new novel (probably the next Septimus Heap book, but I haven't 100% decided yet). I've had one of those 'everything that could go wrong...' weeks, so looking forward to excusing myself for a good few hours of reading now! (I've even put on my socks that say 'Go away, I'm reading' on the bottom :lol:)

Your socks sound great :D.

14 hours ago, Hayley said:

So far I have finished Botanical Folk Tales, read three chapters of Silence and 100 pages of Queste (the Septimus Heap book mentioned above). Hoping to read some more of the latter later on but I'm happy with that already! :)

Well done :)!

13 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Unfortunately not. I should have but have recently slowed down on my reading and enjoying that just for a change.

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself, that's the most important thing :).

14 hours ago, Hayley said:

Has anybody else been doing the read-a-thon this month? 

My reading:

Thursday

Ken Follett - Kingsbridge 4 or 0: The Evening and the Morning (read page 284 - 301)

Dana Simpson - Phoebe and her Unicorn 5: Unicorn Crossing (read page 1 - 105)

Friday

Ken Follett - Kingsbridge 4 or 0: The Evening and the Morning (read page 302- 331)

Ann M. Martin and Gabriela Epstein - The Babysitters Club Graphic Novels 9: Claudia and the New Girl (read page 1 - 165, finished)

Megan Wagner Lloyd and Michelle Mee Nutter - Allergic (read page 1 - 156)

Saturday

Ken Follett - Kingsbridge 4 or 0: The Evening and the Morning (read page 332- 351)

... nothing else. I spent the whole day with my parents. I wouldn't have read at all if it hadn't been for my buddy read and the pages I read in that each day.

Sunday

Ken Follett - Kingsbridge 4 or 0: The Evening and the Morning (read page 352- 391)

Megan Wagner Lloyd and Michelle Mee Nutter - Allergic (read page 157 - 239, finished)

Rachael Smith - Quarantine Comix (read page 1 - 212, finished)

Catana Chetwynd - In Love & Pajamas (read page 1 - 126, finished)

Allessandra Olanow - I Used to Have a Plan (read page 1 - 110, finished)

Rachel Lindsay - Rx (read page 1 - 252, finished)

Shira Spector - Red Rock Baby Candy (read page 1 - 62)

As you can see, Sunday (esp. in the later afternoon and early evening) was when I read the most and it was also the day I spent the most time reading (and when I felt most in the mood to read!). I was, unexpectedly, out all day on Saturday (and didn't bring my books with me).

On 12/09/2021 at 3:54 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

I should have but have recently slowed down on my reading and enjoying that just for a change.

If that's what you're enjoying right now then that's definitely what you should keep doing! Nothing unfortunate about it :) 

10 hours ago, Athena said:

Well done :)!

Your socks sound great :D.

Thank you, to both :lol:. I do love the socks, they were a present from my sister, along with a pack of pencils that say things like 'I like big books' and 'I believe in tea and books' (which are both very true).

As you can see, Sunday (esp. in the later afternoon and early evening) was when I read the most and it was also the day I spent the most time reading

Wow, yes that was a lot of reading done on Sunday! Well done! I like the title 'I Used to Have a Plan' (although I haven't heard of the book before!)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I totally forgot that the first of October would fall on a Friday, but that means it's the read-a-thon weekend!

This one coincides with our 'Victober' reading challenge, so I'll be reading extra for that. I was planning to start with Lady Audley's Secret, but I don't think I can resist the temptation of Dance of the Serpents...

Me also, Hayley. Though the miserable weather forecast for Saturday means it will be great time to read, eat biscuits and hunker down with blankets in an armchair. :)

Stayed up far later than I meant to last night but it means I am close to halfway through Dance of the Serpents now! 

These three read-a-thon days are going very quickly but it is pouring with rain, I'm very full of Sunday dinner and I have a blanket ready for more reading this evening :lol:.

49 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Stayed up far later than I meant to last night but it means I am close to halfway through Dance of the Serpents now! 

These three read-a-thon days are going very quickly but it is pouring with rain, I'm very full of Sunday dinner and I have a blanket ready for more reading this evening :lol:.

Sounds perfect to me. I'm 42% through having started early yesterday. Yet to get today's reading underway but confident that I'll cut a swathe through it. It's raining here too, we have the central heating on and my father and brother will be relocating upstairs for a DVD and I'll get some hours of peace and quiet to read. I'm full of food too :-) 

20 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

It's raining here too, we have the central heating on and my father and brother will be relocating upstairs for a DVD and I'll get some hours of peace and quiet to read. I'm full of food too :-) 

Glad it was a good reading/ eating day for you too :lol:.

I got to 62% of the book by the end of the day yesterday, which I'm very happy with in one way but, in another, I wish I had more of it to read!

5 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Glad it was a good reading/ eating day for you too :lol:.

I got to 62% of the book by the end of the day yesterday, which I'm very happy with in one way but, in another, I wish I had more of it to read!

Thank you!

I'm at 70%. Read 100 pages on Saturday (I started early and didn't do any crochet) and read 98 yesterday (I didn't start early and I did some crochet!) so I'd say that qualified for the readathon. And yes, I'm caught in the classic reader's dilemma too : I want very much to find out what happens next but do not want it to end.  And it's the last book!

• 5 weeks later...

I'm glad you both had fun with the October read-a-thon!

The November read-a-thon is scheduled for this upcoming weekend. I'll be busy some of the time, but I should have some time to read :). I've been busy reading my library loans, so I hope to get through some of those (they are mostly children's fiction).

2 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad you both had fun with the October read-a-thon!

Thank you :)

2 hours ago, Athena said:

I've been busy reading my library loans, so I hope to get through some of those (they are mostly children's fiction).

Read-a-thon with a stack of new books is extra fun :lol:. I hope you enjoy them.

I have an absolute week of chaos until Friday at about 8. After that I am 100% putting extra reading time aside for the read-a-thon! I want to finish Lady Audley’s Secret.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for being absent. I did do some reading during the read-a-thon weekend, but mostly on Thursday and Friday. Saturday and Sunday were very busy for me and I was exhausted afterwards (sensory overload), I didn't have the energy to go on the forum after.

My library loans have been handed in now, in the end I managed to read 20 out of 25 (during the loan time, not all during the read-a-thon lol).

Things are bad here again with Covid cases, so we're in a partial lockdown for a few weeks, and I'll be avoiding going out for a while. But I'm glad I at least got to borrow books once from the library (since 2019).

Did you finish Lady Audley's Secret?

6 hours ago, Athena said:

Did you finish Lady Audley's Secret?

I didn't realise, until I saw your post, that I forgot to update on the read-a-thon myself! I didn't finish Lady Audley's Secret (still haven't!), I actually had a pretty stressful weekend, so it was rubbish for reading. I did set aside some phone and screen free time, had a long bath and had the book with me, but you know when you keep re-reading the same part because your thoughts are drifting somewhere else? I kept doing that, so didn't make a great deal of progress. 

My library loans have been handed in now, in the end I managed to read 20 out of 25 (during the loan time, not all during the read-a-thon lol).

That would have been very impressive for one weekend :lol: but I'm glad you managed to read most of them before they were due back anyway. Were they good?

Things are bad here again with Covid cases, so we're in a partial lockdown for a few weeks, and I'll be avoiding going out for a while. But I'm glad I at least got to borrow books once from the library (since 2019).

Hopefully it will be a short partial lockdown, and after you'll be able to go back to the library knowing that it's extra safe :) 

17 hours ago, Hayley said:

I didn't realise, until I saw your post, that I forgot to update on the read-a-thon myself! I didn't finish Lady Audley's Secret (still haven't!), I actually had a pretty stressful weekend, so it was rubbish for reading. I did set aside some phone and screen free time, had a long bath and had the book with me, but you know when you keep re-reading the same part because your thoughts are drifting somewhere else? I kept doing that, so didn't make a great deal of progress. 

Yes, I've had that happen too. Aww.

That would have been very impressive for one weekend :lol: but I'm glad you managed to read most of them before they were due back anyway. Were they good?

Most of them were, yes :)!

Hopefully it will be a short partial lockdown, and after you'll be able to go back to the library knowing that it's extra safe :) 

Thanks! I'll be avoiding going out for a while since it's pretty bad here and I do not want to get sick.. we'll see how things go. The NL government will hold another press conference in just under 2 weeks and evaluate if they need to extent the partial lockdown or not.

9 hours ago, Athena said:

Most of them were, yes :)!

Good, I'm glad you enjoyed them :) 

9 hours ago, Athena said:

Thanks! I'll be avoiding going out for a while since it's pretty bad here and I do not want to get sick.. we'll see how things go. The NL government will hold another press conference in just under 2 weeks and evaluate if they need to extent the partial lockdown or not.

Yes, that's fair. Fingers crossed the rates will drop significantly in the next two weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I totally forgot but the December read-a-thon is originally scheduled for this weekend.

I'm reading two adult novels atm (Srawberry Shortcake Murder, which I'm reading with a friend, and The Book of Two Ways) and I have a somewhat busy weekend so I don't know if I'll be reading any of my usual read-a-thon reads (manga, graphic novels, graphic memoirs, illustrated children's books). We'll see I guess. Alternatively I guess I could also read some of that read-a-thon stuff another time this month.

EDIT: Oh and on Sunday I start an adult novel together with a friend.

Edited by Athena