Read-a-thons 2021

Athena

On 6/16/2021 at 1:17 PM, Hayley said:

Wow, you did well! I hope you enjoyed them all :)

I did, thank you :)!

On 6/18/2021 at 3:00 AM, Lau_Lou said:

thank you :) the vaccine went as well as can be. I ended up reading the last 3 chapters and finished The Chocolate Lovers' Club which I loved. I also read a couple of chapters of The Clash of Kings and 1 chapter of Emma. So overall good weekend. I did see my gran too which was great. Cannot wait to see her again. Wonderful woman she is! 

Yay!!

The next read-a-thon (can you believe it's already almost July?!) is scheduled (see the first post) for next Friday, Saturday and Sunday, July the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Athena said:

The next read-a-thon (can you believe it's already almost July?!) is scheduled (see the first post) for next Friday, Saturday and Sunday, July the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

I really can’t believe that it’s almost July! 

I should have a bit more reading time for this one so I’ll aim to read a good chunk of, if not finish, The Essex Serpent :) 

On 6/28/2021 at 8:14 AM, Hayley said:

I really can’t believe that it’s almost July! 

Me either!

On 6/28/2021 at 8:14 AM, Hayley said:

I should have a bit more reading time for this one so I’ll aim to read a good chunk of, if not finish, The Essex Serpent :) 

I hope you enjoy it :)! Is there a lot of it left to read?

I've finished off most of my current reads (other than Inkdeath, which I'm reading with a friend and we read about 100 pages a week, but I've read most of this week's pages so I can read other things during the read-a-thon), and I hope that after feeling slumpy in June, that I'll be able to read some of the manga, graphic novels, graphic memoirs and/or illustrated children's books that are on my general TBR, that I feel in the mood for.

I will be doing some extra reading this weekend. Have Friday off work as was a family wedding (cancelled) and then a family get together (cancelled) due to some having to self isolate so will take some time spent reading and will most likely prioritise A Clash Of Kings

12 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I will be doing some extra reading this weekend. Have Friday off work as was a family wedding (cancelled) and then a family get together (cancelled) due to some having to self isolate so will take some time spent reading and will most likely prioritise A Clash Of Kings

I'm sorry about the cancelled things, it's good though that people are choosing to self-isolate rather than risk anything. I hope you will have lots of fun with reading this weekend :). I enjoyed A Clash of Kings, I hope you do too! Happy reading :readingtwo:!

18 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you enjoy it :)! Is there a lot of it left to read?

Yes, about 300 pages I think!

18 hours ago, Athena said:

I've finished off most of my current reads (other than Inkdeath, which I'm reading with a friend and we read about 100 pages a week, but I've read most of this week's pages so I can read other things during the read-a-thon), and I hope that after feeling slumpy in June, that I'll be able to read some of the manga, graphic novels, graphic memoirs and/or illustrated children's books that are on my general TBR, that I feel in the mood for.

That sounds good, I hope you'll enjoy this read-a-thon then!

19 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Have Friday off work as was a family wedding (cancelled) and then a family get together (cancelled) due to some having to self isolate so will take some time spent reading and will most likely prioritise A Clash Of Kings

I hope you'll enjoy some relaxing reading time instead and I hope that everyone in your family is okay!

15 hours ago, Hayley said:

Yes, about 300 pages I think!

Sounds great, I hope you enjoy it :)!

That sounds good, I hope you'll enjoy this read-a-thon then!

Thank you :)! I hope you do too! And you as well, Lau Lou! :)

On 02/07/2021 at 6:58 AM, Athena said:

Sounds great, I hope you enjoy it :)!

Thank you! I am enjoying it so far. I've had a lot of unexpected delays today (like, I went to get a washing line, which should have taken about 5 minutes, but the card machines went down, the guy at the front of the queue had no cash to pay which caused great confusion and then when I got out someone had parked in a way that blocked me in!) so feeling less confident about getting close to finishing the book, but I still think I'll read a good chunk!

Thank you! I am enjoying it so far. I've had a lot of unexpected delays today (like, I went to get a washing line, which should have taken about 5 minutes, but the card machines went down, the guy at the front of the queue had no cash to pay which caused great confusion and then when I got out someone had parked in a way that blocked me in!) so feeling less confident about getting close to finishing the book, but I still think I'll read a good chunk!

Oh no, that sounds like a hassle! I hope you were able to some reading after all that.

I started reading an illustrated Dutch children's book, Het geheime weekboek van groep 8 by Jacques Vriens (ill. Annet Schaap) on Thursday, but it looks like I forgot to write down how many pages I read on Thursday vs. Friday. I finished it on Friday and I think I was over halfway through it at the beginning of Friday (115 pages total in the book, it was good). I then read Een vriendin met vuisten by Mirjam Oldenhave (ill by Yvonne Jagtenberg) (88 pages, good). Next I read Persepolis (omnibus of 1& 2) by Marjane Satrapi (amazing). On Saturday I started Maus by Art Spiegelman (The Complete Maus, is the edition I have, it has 1 & 2 in it), I read 227 pages. So today, Sunday, I start on page 228 of Maus. I hope to finish it today, and after that I'll see what I feel like reading if there is enough time/energy etc today.

@Lau_Lou How is A Clash of Kings?

Trying to finish D E Stevenson’s Music in the Hills - 95% read. Haven’t read much this weekend, but enjoyable when I have. :)

My family are okay thank you, Hayley :) they had a message from the app saying someone had tested positive from where they had been. Sorry to hear about the other day. Glad to hear you managed to read some of your book :)

I am really enjoying Clash Of Kings, thank you Athena :) to be honest I am glad I started it very soon after the first book because I think I would have lost a lot of what was going on with all the POV and characters. I honestly think it will be one of my favourite books of the year and quite possible a series as a whole. If it stays as good as it is now🤞

I read 3 chapters of the book as well as 2 of Emma too. Which I am also liking. 

Very glad you have enjoyed the book you are reading, Marie H :)

18 hours ago, Marie H said:

Trying to finish D E Stevenson’s Music in the Hills - 95% read. Haven’t read much this weekend, but enjoyable when I have. :)

I'm glad you are enjoying it :). Almost finished!

9 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

My family are okay thank you, Hayley :) they had a message from the app saying someone had tested positive from where they had been. Sorry to hear about the other day. Glad to hear you managed to read some of your book :)

I am glad your family are okay!

9 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I am really enjoying Clash Of Kings, thank you Athena :) to be honest I am glad I started it very soon after the first book because I think I would have lost a lot of what was going on with all the POV and characters. I honestly think it will be one of my favourite books of the year and quite possible a series as a whole. If it stays as good as it is now🤞

I read 3 chapters of the book as well as 2 of Emma too. Which I am also liking.

I'm glad you're really liking Clash of Kings so far :)! And also Emma :).

Yesterday I finished Maus (read page 228-296) and I also read a graphic memoir that was in Dutch translated from Danish, Deserteur by Halfdan Pisket (Desertør in the original language), in English that would translate to 'Deserter' but I'm not sure if it has been translated (104 pages).

On 04/07/2021 at 8:22 AM, Athena said:

Oh no, that sounds like a hassle! I hope you were able to some reading after all that.

I did, thank you :) I put my pyjamas on early and read in the evening for ages :lol:.

I'm glad you got to read so many books, and especially that you thought one was amazing!

On 04/07/2021 at 8:22 AM, Athena said:

it looks like I forgot to write down how many pages I read on Thursday vs. Friday

I totally forgot to check what page number I started on too, so I can't be specific, but I know I read quite a few chapters! Happy with the progress anyway and still really enjoying the book!

On 04/07/2021 at 1:31 PM, Marie H said:

So close to finishing! Glad you're enjoying it too :) 

17 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

My family are okay thank you, Hayley :) they had a message from the app saying someone had tested positive from where they had been.

That's good to hear! 

17 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I honestly think it will be one of my favourite books of the year and quite possible a series as a whole. If it stays as good as it is now🤞

Oh wow, I hope it does stay as good then!

• 5 weeks later...

The BCF read-a-thon of August is this upcoming weekend. I apologise for being a bit short notice in posting this (though if anyone is ever in doubt, check the first post of this thread which has all the pre-scheduled data on the principle that the read-a-thon always starts on the first Friday of the month).

21 hours ago, Athena said:

The BCF read-a-thon of August is this upcoming weekend. I apologise for being a bit short notice in posting this (though if anyone is ever in doubt, check the first post of this thread which has all the pre-scheduled data on the principle that the read-a-thon always starts on the first Friday of the month).

Thank you for the reminder :) 

I'm definitely aiming to finish The Essex Serpent (about 60 pages to go, I think) this read-a-thon and start a new book!

9 hours ago, Hayley said:

I'm definitely aiming to finish The Essex Serpent (about 60 pages to go, I think)

First goal completed :lol:. I don't have all my books with me in my new house yet but I do have the Septimus Heap books, so I'm going to start Physik and also continue to dip into Silence in the Age of Noise by Erling Kagge.

8 hours ago, Hayley said:

First goal completed :lol:. I don't have all my books with me in my new house yet but I do have the Septimus Heap books, so I'm going to start Physik and also continue to dip into Silence in the Age of Noise by Erling Kagge.

Congratulations, well done!! Did you enjoy it? I hope you like Physik! I have read the first two Septimus Heap books and liked them a lot, I'm pretty sure Physik would be the next one for me to read but I haven't read it yet.

When do you expect the rest of your belongings to get to your new house? I'm just curious, you don't have to share if you don't want to :).

I have read some illustrated children's books, and for the past week I've been doing a buddy read with a friend, we read about 50ish pages a day of Age Your Age, Eve Brown by Talia Hibbert, book 3 in the Brown Sisters trilogy (so I read 50ish pages in it yesterday/Friday and also on Thursday). We should be finishing it this weekend, I'm liking it a lot so far, just like the other two books in the series. Plus, this one has autism rep and it's good :). The illustrated children's books I read on Thursday and Friday, have been mostly re-reads. On Thursday I read The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney, book 5 in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series (re-read), I started Dork Diaries 2: Party Time (US title: Tales From a Not-So-Popular Party Girl) by Rachel Renée Russell (re-read) and finished it on Friday. I then read Tom Gates 4.5: Best Book Day Ever! (So Far) by Liz Pichon (also a re-read) and started Tom Gates 5: Tom Gates is Absolutely Fantastic (at Some Things) (not a re-read!). I almost finished it yesterday and plan to finish it today.

Happy reading today!

15 hours ago, Raven said:

What is wrong with you?

:lol: It does feel wrong but I'm still waiting for some shelves and another bookcase. There are enough books on the floor already!

9 hours ago, Athena said:

Congratulations, well done!! Did you enjoy it? I hope you like Physik! I have read the first two Septimus Heap books and liked them a lot, I'm pretty sure Physik would be the next one for me to read but I haven't read it yet.

Thank you! I did really enjoy The Essex Serpent, the author writes about emotion very well. I also liked the first two Septimus Heap books a lot. I thought Physick sounded quite different from the first two, from the blurb, but I've easily gotten back into that world. I hope you'll like it when you read it!

We should be finishing it this weekend, I'm liking it a lot so far, just like the other two books in the series. Plus, this one has autism rep and it's good :). The illustrated children's books I read on Thursday and Friday, have been mostly re-reads. On Thursday I read The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney, book 5 in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series (re-read), I started Dork Diaries 2: Party Time (US title: Tales From a Not-So-Popular Party Girl) by Rachel Renée Russell (re-read) and finished it on Friday. I then read Tom Gates 4.5: Best Book Day Ever! (So Far) by Liz Pichon (also a re-read) and started Tom Gates 5: Tom Gates is Absolutely Fantastic (at Some Things) (not a re-read!). I almost finished it yesterday and plan to finish it today.

Wow, you're doing brilliantly, as always! I hope you enjoy finishing Tom Gates is Absolutely Fantastic (at Some Things) and Act Your Age, Eve Brown, it sounds like you will! :).

I had such a chaotic day after I posted yesterday. Had some distressing family news and a very stressed mom on the phone, then, in the middle of the night, had a phone call to say the cat (who's staying with my boyfriend's dad while there's still big changes going on in the new house, since we didn't want her to be frightened) had fallen off the sofa and wasn't moving. She's really quite old so I expected the worst. I don't think I've ever gone from pyjamas to dressed and out the house so fast. She should be fine though, the vet thinks she either had a seizure, which could be a one-off or, more likely, just fell and shocked herself. She was moving again after about ten minutes. Got in just after 1am and my boyfriend said 'wait, weren't you meant to be tutoring today?' and I said 'no, I tutor on Friday...' in the moments before the horrible realisation that it was Friday (or at least had been, an hour before). I'm usually such an organised person, I have never just forgotten to do something like that before and now I feel mortified. But, getting to the point of that story, there was no way I could sleep after all that, so I lay in bed and read Physik until I felt like I could at least try to sleep. Now my brain feels useless but I'm still hoping to relax with Physik later. Really glad I picked an easy-going book! 

Thank you! I did really enjoy The Essex Serpent, the author writes about emotion very well. I also liked the first two Septimus Heap books a lot. I thought Physick sounded quite different from the first two, from the blurb, but I've easily gotten back into that world. I hope you'll like it when you read it!

I'm glad to know it was easy for you to get back into that world. Thank you!

Wow, you're doing brilliantly, as always! I hope you enjoy finishing Tom Gates is Absolutely Fantastic (at Some Things) and Act Your Age, Eve Brown, it sounds like you will! :).

Thanks! I did enjoy them :).

I had such a chaotic day after I posted yesterday. Had some distressing family news and a very stressed mom on the phone, then, in the middle of the night, had a phone call to say the cat (who's staying with my boyfriend's dad while there's still big changes going on in the new house, since we didn't want her to be frightened) had fallen off the sofa and wasn't moving. She's really quite old so I expected the worst. I don't think I've ever gone from pyjamas to dressed and out the house so fast. She should be fine though, the vet thinks she either had a seizure, which could be a one-off or, more likely, just fell and shocked herself. She was moving again after about ten minutes. Got in just after 1am and my boyfriend said 'wait, weren't you meant to be tutoring today?' and I said 'no, I tutor on Friday...' in the moments before the horrible realisation that it was Friday (or at least had been, an hour before). I'm usually such an organised person, I have never just forgotten to do something like that before and now I feel mortified. But, getting to the point of that story, there was no way I could sleep after all that, so I lay in bed and read Physik until I felt like I could at least try to sleep. Now my brain feels useless but I'm still hoping to relax with Physik later. Really glad I picked an easy-going book! 

Awww :(. I'm glad the cat should hopefully be okay and that she feels better soon. I hope you feel better soon and that you can sleep more another time, hopefully you feel more rested maybe during the weekend. :hug:

17 hours ago, Raven said:

There can never be enough books on the floor, if you can navigate between all of the rooms in your abode!

So... maybe forget the shelves and create a book labyrinth?? :lol: I have a feeling people might stop visiting me then though. 

Thanks! I did enjoy them :).

Oh good!

Awww :(. I'm glad the cat should hopefully be okay and that she feels better soon. I hope you feel better soon and that you can sleep more another time, hopefully you feel more rested maybe during the weekend. :hug:

Thank you :hug:. I think I'm going to phone the vet again tomorrow and see if they think I should bring her in, because I am still worried about her, but fingers crossed she'll be back to her normal self soon. 

I read another couple of chapters of Physik yesterday and just a few pages of Silence so far today. Probably switching back to Physik tonight, because my tired brain found it quite hard to focus on the more abstract concepts in Silence, I ended up reading the same thing about 3 times! 

16 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thank you :hug:. I think I'm going to phone the vet again tomorrow and see if they think I should bring her in, because I am still worried about her, but fingers crossed she'll be back to her normal self soon. 

I hope she will be back to her usual self soon :).

I read another couple of chapters of Physik yesterday and just a few pages of Silence so far today. Probably switching back to Physik tonight, because my tired brain found it quite hard to focus on the more abstract concepts in Silence, I ended up reading the same thing about 3 times! 

I hope you're enjoying both of these :).

On Saturday I finished Tom Gates is Absolutely Fantastic (at Some Things) and Act Your Age, Eve Brown. I also read Big Nate 3: On a Roll by Lincoln Peirce and started Treehouse 4: The 52-Storey Treehouse by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton (this was a re-read).

On Sunday I finished The 52-Storey Treehouse, and I read Captain Underpants 3: Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space (and the Subsequent Assault of the Equally Evil Lunchroom Zombie Nerds) by Dav Pilkey (a hugely long title!). Then I read Dog Man book 2, Dog Man: Unleashed, also by Dav Pilkey.

• 2 weeks later...

The next read-a-thon is (originally) scheduled for the first weekend of September: 03 04 05 (see the first post in this topic).

But it turns out, I won't be able to participate then like I usually do. So for myself, I'll probably do it the weekend after that weekend (September 10-11-12).

For those of you who like to do the read-a-thon too, you're welcome to join me or to do the original weekend (it's up to you!).