Read-a-thons 2021

Athena

I only managed 4 chapters in the end. I was hoping I might finish the whole thing! I had a bit of a busier weekend than I expected, plus the book just didn’t grip me like I hoped. I’m not loving it so far. Still, I read more of it than I think I would have on a non read-a-thon weekend. 

(Also got no snow but it is snowing today!)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Well, I read more than I anticipated over the w/e. I like - need! - to read 50 pages a day and got up to that over the weekend. If I don't read 50 pages a day I start twitching! Does anybody else do that or is it just me?

I need to read every day, and it’s a real joy, and not just to pass away time. It’s almost like doing a meditation, and it’s very soothing when I find a really good book.

19 hours ago, Marie H said:

I need to read every day, and it’s a real joy, and not just to pass away time. It’s almost like doing a meditation, and it’s very soothing when I find a really good book.

I've never thought about it like that before but I think you're absolutely right, it is like meditation! 

19 hours ago, Brian. said:

I wasn't planning on taking part in the read-a-thon but I ended up reading The Thursday Murder Club over the weekend so I guess that counts.

I suppose that means I took part too as i did exactly the same (thoroughly enjoyed it too).

18 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Me too and if I don't get it I start twitching.

I don't just start twitching if I don't have something to read at hand, I need to have a sufficiently large TBR pile just in case there's ever a shortage of books. Paper as well as on the ereader -  the electricity might go off for several days and I wouldn't be able to charge the Kobo.

• 4 weeks later...

The March read-a-thon is scheduled for this upcoming weekend (Friday the 5th, Saturday the 6th and Sunday the 7th of March). I don't really know if I'll do much reading aside from my scheduled reading, I'm re-reading World Without End by Ken Follett this month (which in my copy comes down to about 40 pages a day), and I'm reading Inkheart by Cornelia Funke this month together with another friend. I would like to read some of my usual read-a-thon graphic novels, graphic memoirs, manga and illustrated children's books, but I don't know if I will. I'm still struggling with life stuff and other things are on my mind. 

I hope anyone who participates will have fun reading!

I’ve heard very good things about Inkheart and been tempted to get it for a while. I hope you’re enjoying it! :) .

4 hours ago, Athena said:

I would like to read some of my usual read-a-thon graphic novels, graphic memoirs, manga and illustrated children's books, but I don't know if I will. I'm still struggling with life stuff and other things are on my mind.

Just look after yourself and see how you feel on the day :hug:.

I’m planning to alternate between the book I’m reading at the moment (The Fourteenth Tale), which I’d like to finish, and some short stories. 

On 03/03/2021 at 10:19 PM, Hayley said:

I’ve heard very good things about Inkheart and been tempted to get it for a while. I hope you’re enjoying it! :) .

I am, thank you :)!

Just look after yourself and see how you feel on the day :hug:.

:hug: Thanks Hayley :friends3:. I read in Inkheart a bit the past few days, and I read about 40ish pages in World Without End on Friday, on Saturday and on Sunday. On Sunday I also read Himouto! Umaru-chan Volume 9 by Sankakuhead.

I’m planning to alternate between the book I’m reading at the moment (The Fourteenth Tale), which I’d like to finish, and some short stories. 

That sounds good :).

On 07/03/2021 at 1:45 PM, Hayley said:

Making good progress on The Fourteenth Letter now. 213 pages so far this weekend and just under 100 to go so I should finish it today :). It helps that the pace picked up a lot in the second half! 

How far are you with it now, and was it enjoyable :)?

6 hours ago, Brian. said:

I've been working across all the days of the read-a-thon this time so I only managed about 60 pages of physical book reading but I have managed about 4 or 5 hours of audiobook consumption.

It's great you managed to do some audiobook reading, I hope you are enjoying the read :).

8 hours ago, Athena said:

How far are you with it now, and was it enjoyable :)?

I finished it but forgot to post! The second half of the book was definitely more enjoyable than the first. I didn't love it overall though to be honest, it had a few issues. 

8 hours ago, Athena said:

I read in Inkheart a bit the past few days, and I read about 40ish pages in World Without End on Friday, on Saturday and on Sunday. On Sunday I also read Himouto! Umaru-chan Volume 9 by Sankakuhead.

I'm glad you got to read everything you said you wanted to :) 

15 hours ago, Brian. said:

about 60 pages of physical book reading but I have managed about 4 or 5 hours of audiobook consumption.

That sounds good to me! (apart from the having to work for the whole weekend).

10 hours ago, Hayley said:

I finished it but forgot to post! The second half of the book was definitely more enjoyable than the first. I didn't love it overall though to be honest, it had a few issues. 

Shame it had a few issues. I'm glad the second half was at least more enjoyable than the first. Well done on finishing it!

10 hours ago, Hayley said:

I'm glad you got to read everything you said you wanted to :) 

Thanks, me too :)!

• 3 weeks later...

The BCF read-a-thon is this upcoming weekend, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of April (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). After doing not that great with it in February and March, I am going to try to do my best this month (April). Oh, coincidentally, it is Easter on April 4th and April 5th, I just realised :doh:. I don't know if anyone else is joining me, but we could extend it to Monday as that's 'Easter Monday' (or 2nd Easter Day as it is in Dutch)?

I agree with extending it to cover Monday :). I want to finish Magyk and read What Abigail Did That Summer. I haven’t focused on reading at all for a couple of weeks, I’m looking forward to setting aside extra time for it!

A longer weekend for read-a-thon would be good 🙂. I have read very little in the last week, just watching Iceland volcano for hours on end.....:giggle2:.

On 01/04/2021 at 7:38 AM, Athena said:

Yay! I hope you enjoy Magyk and What Abigail Did That Summer :)!

Thank you :) 

On 01/04/2021 at 12:09 PM, Marie H said:

A longer weekend for read-a-thon would be good 🙂. I have read very little in the last week, just watching Iceland volcano for hours on end.....:giggle2:.

:lol: Well it is very impressive!

I stayed in my pyjamas until lunch time and finished Magyk today :). Going to toast a hot cross bun and start What Abigail Did That Summer soon. It’s a good read-a-thon day! 

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

I stayed in my pyjamas until lunch time and finished Magyk today :). Going to toast a hot cross bun and start What Abigail Did That Summer soon. It’s a good read-a-thon day! 

Yum, that hot cross bun toasted sounds delicious! I hope you have/had fun reading!

2 hours ago, Brian. said:

Over the first 2 days of the read-a-thon I read 400 pages of Wicked Beyond Belief.

Well done!! I hope you have/had fun :).

My progress:

Friday

Cornelia Funke - Inkheart 1: Inkheart (read pages 475-544, finishing it)

Alwin Ritstier - Gek van mezelf (read pages 249-272, finishing it)

Willem Ritstier - Wills kracht (168 pages) (graphic memoir)

Willem Ritstier - Opstaan... en doorgaan (200 pages) (graphic memoir)

Saturday
Sankakuhead - Himouto! Umaru-chan Volume 10 (175 pages) (manga)
Claire Belton - Ik ben Pusheen de poes (I am Pusheen the Cat) (177 pages) (lots of illustrations)
Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 4: Genius Ideas (Mostly) (re-read) (314 pages) (illustrated children's book I re-read, I felt too tired for anything more complicated)

Sunday

Nothing so far.

On 01/04/2021 at 10:33 PM, Raven said:

Think I may do some reading this weekend.

(Bet I don't...)

So... did you? :lol:

20 hours ago, Athena said:

Yum, that hot cross bun toasted sounds delicious! I hope you have/had fun reading!

Thank you! It was so delicious I had a second one :giggle2:.

You read loads! I hope you enjoyed it :)