Terry Pratchett Has Alzheimers

muggle not

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22917625-2,00.html for more read.

Author Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer's

By Alison Godfrey

December 13, 2007 10:51am

BEST-selling British author Terry Pratchett has a rare form of Alzheimer's.

The 59-year-old writer, who has sold 55million books worldwide made the announcement on Discworld illustrator Paul Kidby's official website.

Prachett told Britain's Mail on Sunday a month ago that he had been struggling with his hand-eye co-ordination and dexterity due to a a series of strokes.

But further tests had since revealed the famous fantasy author has early onset Alzheimer's.

Prachett said he decided to disclose the news because it would be unfair to hide it from his fans and colleagues.

Thank you for posting this. It's a temptation to say, "I'm so sorry for Mr. Pratchett," but reading his own statement, I realise I'm selfishly sorry for myself at the thought that at some point there will be no more Discworld novels. PTerry himself seems to be remaining quite upbeat about it all, which is inspirational - as he says, at some point there won't be any more anyway, as Death will come calling for him as surely as anyone else - in a strange way, it makes me smile a little to think of Mr Pratchett facing old Tomb-Voice himself and chuckling to himself over how right he got the character!

As when Michael J Fox announced he had early-onset Parkinson's Disease, this could well bring to the public attention the very real problems of early-onset Alzheimers and he could very likely become a figurehead to bring awareness to the general public. With any luck, this will spur folks on to channel money into research in the hopes of finding ways of reversing the effects of Alzheimers.

As when Michael J Fox announced he had early-onset Parkinson's Disease, this could well bring to the public attention the very real problems of early-onset Alzheimers and he could very likely become a figurehead to bring awareness to the general public. With any luck, this will spur folks on to channel money into research in the hopes of finding ways of reversing the effects of Alzheimers.

I always admire people who make their condition public in order to use it to raise awareness. And if that's what Pratchett is doing, more power to him. It's a cause that could use some help.

Other than that, it's truly bad news, but I'm so delighted he's taking it in such an upbeat way.

I'm not making any sense. I need to go wash my hair and make more coffee.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I have a friend (online) who is mad about him - he'll be gutted when he hears - although as Kell said, that'll be as much about the thought of him eventually not being able to write as also feeling so very sorry for him as a person.

I've only tried one Pratchett book (Hogfather) and I couldn't get into it.

He's very brave talking about it in public - I admire him.

Having worked with people with Alzheimers and their carers and also collaborated with the local Alzheimers Society (in England) very closely over several years, I am gutted. It is more rare to get early onset. It is a devastating illness not just for the person who has it, but their family too. Lets hope that a treatment is quickly found.

Meanwhile, please support your local and national Alzeimers Disease Society. Their work is so important, and they will also be able to tell you where to send money for research.

End of plug.

This has been a sad start to the day. I'm so glad Terry is cheerful about it. I'm sure he will continue to write for a long time yet. Should you read this Terry, we all wish you the very best!

Pp

As you probably know Iris Murdoch suffered from this dreadful disease. I have her last book "Jackson's Dilemma" which I found very hard to get into. Apparently it was affected by her deteriorating mental condition. It must be devastating for Terry Pratchett's family, especially as he is still relatively young.

As P.P. said, early onset Alzheimer's is rare, in 30 years I have only come across 2 people who this happened to. One was in 1977, before we had developed any effective treatment. The other was more recent and sadly for her, diagnosed too late. At 53 she complained of getting lost in her kitchen, and was written off as being "just a depressed housewife".

Terry should have better treatment as it's been noticed sooner, and has a chance to have a good quality of life for some time.