Your Book Activity - November 2020

Marie H

12 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

He hauls a tiny fridge around Ireland on a bet... 🙄👀

That just about the sum of his “humour” :roll:

I must say I find Hawks really annoying, just listening to his voice grates....

55 minutes ago, Marie H said:

That just about the sum of his “humour” :roll:

I must say I find Hawks really annoying, just listening to his voice grates....

I had never heard of the man until I got this book in a charity shop. 

He did a Ted talk about his Irish trip, and  he didn't sound too bad, but the book is poor and he appears a prat. 😕😒

On 23/11/2020 at 12:14 PM, Brian. said:

After hitting 100 books for the year so far I have decided to 1, not set a target next year, and 2, read some of the longer books I have on my shelf.

Wow, well done Brian! 

The pandemic has had a bit of a beneficial effect on my reading total this year, not least because I've found it difficult to settle to 'big' books, and have been enjoying some shorter material: my usual page per book average is 290+, this year it has dropped to around 270.  As a result, for the first time, I've reached 70 books before the end of November (my highest ever calendar year was 80 in 2016), even though I had my slowest first quarter in years (just 8 books).  The last 2 books were read as a bit of an in memoriam for my favourite non-fiction writer, Jan Morris, who died last week: firstly Derek Johns's Ariel, A Literary Life of Jan Morris (interesting, quite old-fashioned in style), followed by Morris's own favourite amongst her work, Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere. I can well see why it's a favourite; a beautifully written, almost elegiac, piece about a city that has featured throughout her life.

Like you, Brian, I feel ready to tackle some of my longer books in the New Year, particularly history, biography and classics. Definitely no target number of books, but then I didn't have any this year! I'm almost tempted to say that I can't exceed a certain number, but that might be going a bit too far! Maybe aim for upping the page average!

Edited by willoyd

Finished Maigret's Memoirs tonight. An intriguingly different Maigret - written in the first person with Maigret putting a different viewpoint to the one normally provided by Simenon. The author is now a character in the book, as this is written by the 'genuine' Maigret upon which the fictional character is supposedly modelled.  Lots of interesting background detail into Maigret's life.  Fascinating for anybody who is a Maigret fan - and I am!  ***** (out of 6).

• Athena unpinned this topic