Your Book Activity - November 2020

Marie H

Just googled Olive, Mabel & Me and now I also love those dogs :lol:.

I'm just over half way through The Witch House by Ann Rawson. I don't think it will take me much longer to finish it, I've reached a pretty tense part! I'm thinking of going for something with a fantasy twist next. Maybe Jasper Fforde. 

I usually read quite a lot in October but I just didn't this year, so hopefully I can make up for it this month!

• 2 weeks later...

Started listening to Ben Aaronovitch’s Broken Homes. Also reading And reading D E Stevenson’s Vittoria Cottage (as a light hearted read, post-WW2 village life in the country). Both are good listening/reading.

A quick catch up of this month's books after the downtime (glad to be back!):

The Fortune of the Rougons by Emile Zola ****(*)

The Covid-19 Catastrophe by Richard Horton ****

Orison for a Curlew by Horatio Clare ****

Injury Time by Beryl Bainbridge ****

Island Stories by David Reynolds *****

I'll get some reviews up on my thread in the near future.

Having finally started reading again after a very a long time (:boogie:), I'm now making up for for the lost time by reading too many books in the same time.

Currently reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, started listening to Becoming by Michelle Obama and as part of trying to complete the Rory Gilmore Challenge with a friend, started Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. 

• Athena pinned this topic
On 02/11/2020 at 10:52 PM, Marie H said:

So, we are in the ‘embers of the year....:o

What’s your book activity for November?

I’m reading Olive, Mabel & Me by Andrew Cotter

Oh wow I've never heard the 'embers of the year expression before! :D

I'm reading 3 books at the moment. 2 are buddy reads, 1 is a reread. I'm reading Artemis Fowl 8: Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian (or De laatste bewaker in Dutch) by Eoin Colfer with a friend, I'm reading Fablehaven 4: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull with another friend, and my re-read is The Illuminae Files 2: Gemina (I loved this trilogy and felt in the mood to re-read it. I finished book 1 Illuminae a few days ago).

I'm struggling through Velocity Weapon, by Megan E. O'Keefe, and so far it a complete mystery why it has garnered so much praise... It's slow, not very interesting and reads like fan fiction. 

I've nearly put it down for good twice now, but for some reason have felt compelled to pick it up again.  I think I just want to get to a part where I can see why it has been praised!

I have been reading, but am continuing to struggle to find a book that I can settle in. So it has been a time of reading old favourites and an occasional whim catching read.

New reads I enjoyed in recent weeks have included Sandi Toksvig's Between The Stops, an enjoyable part memoir / part historical London travelogue. I also bought, and really enjoyed Sophie Aldred's Doctor Who: At Childhood's End.  Sophie Aldred was/is Ace, a companion to the Seventh incarnation of the Doctor (played by Sylvester McCoy). This story is a combined grown up Ace encountering her past, and the Doctor's future self. It was an enjoyable story, that unfolded well, paced itself,  and reached a satisfying end. 

1 hour ago, Chrissy said:

I also bought, and really enjoyed Sophie Aldred's Doctor Who: At Childhood's End.  Sophie Aldred was/is Ace, a companion to the Seventh incarnation of the Doctor (played by Sylvester McCoy). This story is a combined grown up Ace encountering her past, and the Doctor's future self. It was an enjoyable story, that unfolded well, paced itself,  and reached a satisfying end. 

Ooh! I did a review thingy of that:

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3119-ravens-reads/&do=findComment&comment=505866

*spoilers* I didn't enjoy it as quite as much as you!

Today I finished my 99th book of the year so far. Depending on which I finish first, my 100th book with be either The Guest List by Lucy Foley or Berlin by Antony Beevor. I never thought I would read 100 books in year but the pandemic has no doubt helped.

On 18/11/2020 at 8:48 PM, Chrissy said:

New reads I enjoyed in recent weeks have included Sandi Toksvig's Between The Stops, an enjoyable part memoir / part historical London travelogue. I also bought, and really enjoyed Sophie Aldred's Doctor Who: At Childhood's End.  Sophie Aldred was/is Ace, a companion to the Seventh incarnation of the Doctor (played by Sylvester McCoy). This story is a combined grown up Ace encountering her past, and the Doctor's future self. It was an enjoyable story, that unfolded well, paced itself,  and reached a satisfying end.

Oooh I have Sandi Toksvig's Between the Stops on my TBR! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Chrissy :).

I'm still reading Artemis Fowl 8: Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian (or De laatste bewaker in Dutch) by Eoin Colfer, I expect to finish it today. I'm also still reading Fablehaven 4: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull, my friend and I are about halfway through. I started When Life Gives You Mangos by Kereen Getten, which I'm reading together with another friend, I expect I'll finish it today. And I finished Gemina, and started my re-read of Obsidio, The Illuminae Files 3 (a re-read).

I wish you all a good weekend!!

Back to the audiobooks for the moment 

20% of Ben Aaronovitch 's Broken Homes (Rivers of London #4) and

16% of An Argumentation of Historians (Chronicles of St Mary's #9)

On 21/11/2020 at 5:28 PM, Marie H said:

Back to the audiobooks for the moment 

20% of Ben Aaronovitch 's Broken Homes (Rivers of London #4) and

16% of An Argumentation of Historians (Chronicles of St Mary's #9)

How are you getting on with the audiobook for the Rivers of London book? This year I’ve really got into audiobooks but I find it difficult to get on with some narrators when it comes to fiction. 

16 hours ago, Brian. said:

How are you getting on with the audiobook for the Rivers of London book? This year I’ve really got into audiobooks but I find it difficult to get on with some narrators when it comes to fiction. 

The narration is excellent, and I would definitely recommend the Audible Rivers of London series.

My reading whims have lead me to start reading the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan. A Young adult series that explores the Egyptian mythologies. Having read his Percy Jackson Greco / Roman series I knew what to expect, and haven't been disappointed. Fast paced and easy to absorb. About all my brain can currently managed! :D

1 hour ago, Marie H said:

The narration is excellent, and I would definitely recommend the Audible Rivers of London series.

I've not listened to them - as I don't want someone else's voice in my head when I'm reading the books! - but I have heard that Kobna Holdbrook-Smith does a very good job with them.

Edited by Raven

I might check the second book in the series out then as I have a few audbile credits and I enjoyed reading (physically) the first in the series.

After hitting 100 books for the year so far I have decided to 1, not set a target next year, and 2, read some of the longer books I have on my shelf. For that reason I have started on A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin which comes in at around 900 pages.

On 21/11/2020 at 8:27 AM, Athena said:

Oooh I have Sandi Toksvig's Between the Stops on my TBR! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Chrissy :).

I'm still reading Artemis Fowl 8: Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian (or De laatste bewaker in Dutch) by Eoin Colfer, I expect to finish it today. I'm also still reading Fablehaven 4: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull, my friend and I are about halfway through. I started When Life Gives You Mangos by Kereen Getten, which I'm reading together with another friend, I expect I'll finish it today. And I finished Gemina, and started my re-read of Obsidio, The Illuminae Files 3 (a re-read)

I wish you all a good weekend!

I also enjoyed Sandi Toksvig’s Between the Stops which was, unusual for me, an Ebook. (I’ve always tended to disapprove of reading through a screen, no doubt because many of the grandchildren seem permanently attached to an electronic device). However, it worked so well with this book because I was able to dip in & out wherever we were. A very enjoyable read.

My reading bug is not doing so well at present. I have been ‘reading’ Deborah Moggach’s Heartbreak Hotel- for far too long. There is so much else to do and read, The Times, for example as well as some monthly magazines to which I have subscriptions plus I do try to keep up knitting and embroidery.  I’ve read her books before & have really enjoyed them, but this one will sit quite happily on the table beside me  while I catch up with something in the newspaper or a magazine.

The fault is probably mine - a lack of discipline - must finish it before this lockdown finishes!!

Ann S.

A house for Mr Biswas by VS Naipaul. 

A long, rambling drone of a novel, based in Trinidad. 

Mr Biswas, essentially, wants a house to own, he has never had one before. My oh my is this dull?? I am relieved to have survived it. 

So short on humour, just a succession of dire depressing events and cruelty from extended family. 

Odd and tediously dull. 

Edited by itsmeagain

I read A House For Mr Biswas years ago, as part of a post-colonial literature course I did. All I recall is it meandering around aimlessly, and my not being at all drawn to the characters.

I was always a 'if I started it, I'd finish it' kind of reader, but that has changed. I think you can tell when a book has potential and it is worth persevering with it, and sometimes you just want to see what happens. Beyond that, I won't make myself read something that does not appeal. 

What next for you itsmeagain? 

12 hours ago, Ann Standen said:

this one will sit quite happily on the table beside me  while I catch up with something in the newspaper or a magazine.

The fault is probably mine - a lack of discipline - must finish it before this lockdown finishes!!

It is a very rare thing for me to be able to read, and knit or sew at the same time! I have occasionally managed it, but something ends up having to 'give'. I have a stack of magazines here given to me last year that I have been slowly getting through. Sometimes it is nice to read a short article rather than continuing with a book.

Welcome to the forum! :)

12 hours ago, Ann Standen said:

I also enjoyed Sandi Toksvig’s Between the Stops which was, unusual for me, an Ebook. (I’ve always tended to disapprove of reading through a screen, no doubt because many of the grandchildren seem permanently attached to an electronic device). However, it worked so well with this book because I was able to dip in & out wherever we were. A very enjoyable read.

My reading bug is not doing so well at present. I have been ‘reading’ Deborah Moggach’s Heartbreak Hotel- for far too long. There is so much else to do and read, The Times, for example as well as some monthly magazines to which I have subscriptions plus I do try to keep up knitting and embroidery.  I’ve read her books before & have really enjoyed them, but this one will sit quite happily on the table beside me  while I catch up with something in the newspaper or a magazine.

Ann S.

Hi Ann, welcome here :)! I usually read paperbooks too, it is my preferred format. I have a paperback edition of Between the Stops. I'm glad you liked the book! I hope you will be able to do more reading soon. Since you mentioned lockdown, are you from the UK? A lot of people here (nowadays) are from the UK, I am from the Netherlands (we currently don't have a full lockdown but there are rules about things, I am almost always staying at home and barely going out at the moment).

32 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

It is a very rare thing for me to be able to read, and knit or sew at the same time! I have occasionally managed it, but something ends up having to 'give'. I have a stack of magazines here given to me last year that I have been slowly getting through. Sometimes it is nice to read a short article rather than continuing with a book.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I agree, it can be nice to read an article now and then rather than a book :).

I'm still reading Fablehaven 4: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull, which is almost finished (my friend and I read 3 chapters per day). I finished reading Artemis Fowl 8 and Gemina (see my previous post) and have also finished Obsidio (the 3rd book, Gemina was book 2 in The Illuminae Files trilogy). I then read Books 1 - 4 of The Tapper Twins by Geoff Rodkey (books 1 and 2 were re-reads, books 3 and 4 were new to me). I'm currently reading Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel, book 1 in The Themis Files series. I only started it yesterday but it is so good I ended up reading more than half of it. I might just try to finish it today as it has me intrigued. Oh yes, the reason I had more time to read was that I put myself on a news-and-social-media ban for a few days (because reading often about the bad stuff happening was not good for my mental health).

On 23/11/2020 at 12:14 PM, Brian. said:

I might check the second book in the series out then as I have a few audbile credits and I enjoyed reading (physically) the first in the series.

The 2nd & 3rd have very good storylines.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:39 AM, itsmeagain said:

A house for Mr Biswas by VS Naipaul. 

A long, rambling drone of a novel, based in Trinidad. 

Mr Biswas, essentially, wants a house to own, he has never had one before. My oh my is this dull?? I am relieved to have survived it. 

So short on humour, just a succession of dire depressing events and cruelty from extended family. 

Odd and tediously dull. 

:rolol: Sounds like you need a medal for finishing this one, very glad you survived to tell the tale.

I'm like you Chrissy, once I'd make myself finish anything I'd started but now I'm firmly in the 'Life's too short to waste on unappealing books' camp.

Welcome too from me Ann :)

I've been slowly working my way through Jodi Taylor's The Chronicles of St Mary's series as they become available from the library. Unfortunately I've had to read them a bit out of order because of this, but so far (surprisingly) I haven't become too confused. Always rollicking good fun.

Yes poppy. 

Into the 'give up on this' category falls Tony Hawks, Around Ireland with a fridge. I gave up on this 300 odd page book after 285 or something. 

I dunno  how I stayed so patient. 

Hawks is a very annoying English an, who thinks he's exceptionally funny and others are stupid. 

He also does two things that  I find weird, but I'll not spoil it as its not worth the effort.. It's around relationships with women. 🙄

He also falls foul of me in terms of  his obsessional stereotyping of the Irish as drunken  but kindly fools. 

So much repetitive weak humour about the latest pub crawl. 

He hauls a tiny fridge around Ireland on a bet... 🙄👀