Ianto's Book (and short story) Blog

I said in my introduction how I was a voracious reader, but fell out of the habit, but have been getting myself back into it - both as a result of the recent (and for me, current) Lockdowns, and because of pressure from my partner! Very welcome pressure, I hasten to add. I've even set up a YouTube channel where I do readings to get me motivated. The most recent story I read for it is an M. R. James one - "A School Story". When I was younger, I loved M. R. James, and returning to him I'm glad to find that I still do!

With horror stories based on atmosphere rather than shock or gore, I think he is one of those writers where "master of the genre" actually means something. He is able to create calm, relaxed atmospheres - often of academia, where he worked - whilst building up, somehow, a disturbing background, so that when the supernatural actually intrudes upon this world, it is - at least to me - more effective than many other more "obvious" writers in the genre. A short story, and I've been reading a fair few horror stories for a Halloween playlist, but I don't seem to tire of M. R. James!

(This is my reading of it - [link removed] - not sure now links outside to such things are regarded here, I'll take it down if it shouldn't be here!)

20 hours ago, Ianto said:

(This is my reading of it - [link removed] - not sure now links outside to such things are regarded here, I'll take it down if it shouldn't be here!)

Sorry, we don't allow members to post links until they have at least ten posts (and as long as it isn't promotional). 

I don't read a lot of horror but when I do I much prefer atmospheric descriptions over gory ones. I don't think I've ever read anything by M.R James though, I'll have to have a look for something :) 

• 2 weeks later...