English books recommendations

Hi everyone, 

My name is Margaux, and I'm French. I need your help because I want to improve my english with books but I need easy books recommendations to start. Can you tell me if you know or read an easy book. Currently I read The Handmaid's Tale for school.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Margaux, welcome to the forum!

I wouldn’t say The Handmaid’s Tale is an easy book to read. If you can read that comfortably I don’t think you’ll struggle with many books in English (unless, maybe, they are old and use outdated language).

What type of books do you like? 

Thanks. 

I need to read The Handmaid's Tale for my english class. And I have to say that I don't understand everything but I manage to understand a little. 

I like romance, horror, thriller,... A little bit of everything!

My goal is to read English authors without any "translation" if you know what I mean. 

Hello Margaux, and welcome to the forum. :)

I recommend I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I loved this romantic novel, which was set in (I think) after the Second World War, (P.S. I now think the book was set in 1930s)

and is both funny and slightly bittersweet romance. 

(Book blurb from Amazon)

“I write this sitting in the kitchen sink”is the first line of this timeless, witty and enchanting novel about growing up. 
Cassandra Mortmain lives with her bohemian and impoverished family in a crumbling castle in the middle of nowhere. Her journal records her life with her beautiful, bored sister, Rose, her fading glamorous stepmother, Topaz, her little brother Thomas and her eccentric novelist father who suffers from a financially crippling writer's block. However, all their lives are turned upside down when the American heirs to the castle arrive and Cassandra finds herself falling in love for the first time.

Edited by Marie H

• 8 months later...

First of all, well done on wanting to read English literature to improve your English level! You could give a go to "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night" by Mark Haddon since it's an easy read. The language used in the book is simple and easy to understand. Another option would be "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway. It used to be my favorite book when I was a kid because it was about a battle between a fisherman and a giant fish. It's like a fable, and it's all about courage, survival, and triumph. Again, the language is perfect for beginners, and you'll find it very accessible to read! I would also recommend solving some englishlinx English worksheets because that's another very fun and intelligent way to learn a language. Good luck!