Your Favourite Book when a Child?

LindyLou

On 31/03/2022 at 9:51 AM, France said:

If you love dolls houses there's a new competition on English TV called The Great Big Tiny Design Challenge which is designing room sets for dolls houses! The first episode, which is up on YouTube, was for a Regency dining room. It's worth watching just to see the ham one of the contestants made!

Sunday's episode will be creating an Art Nouveau bathroom.

I sought this out because you mentioned it. I'd seen the trailers and then forgot about it. I've seen episode one - Regency Dining Room - and it was, indeed, amazing. And, yes, the ham was stupendous. Looking forward to Art Nouveau bathroom

8 hours ago, Kudz said:

It still makes me tear up and I’m now 40.

Glad it’s not just me! I think I mentioned earlier in this thread I can’t bring myself to read black beauty for the same reason! 

8 hours ago, Kudz said:

One of my cousins got a French Bulldog a few years back and named him Wilbur. I was horrified - to me the name will always and forever be a pig’s name.

I definitely think of it as a pigs name too but I suppose French bulldogs do have a bit of a pig-like face!? 

8 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I sought this out because you mentioned it.

Did you find the YouTube video? I did search it but clicked the first thing and it definitely wasn’t the right one (it was impressive but it wasn’t a regency dining room with a ham!). There seems to be a few programmes about miniatures! 

30 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Did you find the YouTube video? I did search it but clicked the first thing and it definitely wasn’t the right one (it was impressive but it wasn’t a regency dining room with a ham!). There seems to be a few programmes about miniatures! 

No, I found it in the on demand section of Sky TV.

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

If you haven't found it yet, this is the link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=391zUFeVLqg

On 4/2/2022 at 1:00 PM, Kudz said:

I

One of my cousins got a French Bulldog a few years back and named him Wilbur. I was horrified - to me the name will always and forever be a pig’s name.

A French Bulldog is fine, my husband's great nephew is called Wilbur. (And his first cousin is called Wilfred, so my sister in laws grandsons are Wilb and Wilf.)

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

Try this: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-great-big-tiny-design-challenge/on-demand/72644-001

Late as ever!

Childhood favourites (at different stages):

The Faraway Tree series by Enid Blyton

The Secret Seven series by Enid Blyton

Enid Blyton's Nature Lover's Book

Puck of Pook's Hill, Rewards and Fairies, The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling

Winnie-the-Pooh (prose and poetry!) by AA Milne

The Paddington Bear series by Michael Bond

Flood Warning by Paul Berna

Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome

Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang series by Ian Fleming

apart from the first two, I still have copies of these books, and quite a few have been reread and enjoyed throughout adulthood (I'm now reading Paddington Bear in German - and he's just as funny!).

• 3 months later...

Finn Family Momintrolls were a favourite but I also loved a lot of children's classics - Heidi, A Little Princess, The Railway Children (Actually anything by E. Nesbit) - Oh, and the Narnia stories. LOVED them.

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, MissMohawk said:

I always remember the first full book I ever read and enjoyed was Toilet Terror. I was probably around 10 and read it for a read a book competition we used to have in school. 

I don't remember this one but it's certainly an intriguing title!! 😅