Your Book Activity - September 2020

Athena

Wow, I can hardly believe it's September! I'm sorry I haven't been around much on here the past few weeks. We have moved to our new house!

I'm planning to start a new book later today.

Feel free to post here about your book activity in September (what are you reading, books you've bought or loaned, etc).

19 hours ago, Brian. said:

I'm also about halfway through the audiobook of Dune by Frank Herbert.

1 hour ago, Athena said:

I really like Dune, I've read it 3 times I think. I hope you like it!

I have been meaning to read Dune for years, and I really should do so before the Denis Villeneuve film comes out later this year!

1 hour ago, Raven said:

I have been meaning to read Dune for years, and I really should do so before the Denis Villeneuve film comes out later this year!

That was my reason for deciding to 'read' it now as I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie.

I have read some great books recently and not so great. One of the latter been The Fill In Boyfriend by Katie West. There just wasn't any storyline and the ending... well there wasn't much of one of those either. 

I have just finished Only A Mother Knows by Annie Groves. I loved this so much, but realised near upon completion it is part of a series. I hate reading books out of order, but I am going to forget that and read the rest In the order they come in.

currently reading Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. It is on my phone and there are quite a few spelling mistakes but overall enjoying it. I can see it been a 4 or 5 star. I'm not a huge dinosaur fan but can't be denied they are fascinating creatures.

Not sure what to read after. I have read some great contemporary romance by the likes of Sophie kinsella, Jill Mansall and Fern Britton lately so looking for something a bit different. Maybe more thriller/horror. 

Finished JK Galbraith's The Affluent Society tonight, my 50th book completed this year.  I read it as part of our local library's summer challenge, being a book published in the year I was born. Short, but found it very tough going, as never really understood either much of the language or (partly as a result) what he was actually arguing. 3/6.

I'm another Dune fan!  I don't read much science fiction, but that was brilliant - on my 6/6 list. Stasiland was an interesting read too - real insight into life in East Germany. 

Edited by willoyd

On 9/5/2020 at 5:22 PM, Brian. said:

That was my reason for deciding to 'read' it now as I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie.

22 hours ago, willoyd said:

I'm another Dune fan!  I don't read much science fiction, but that was brilliant - on my 6/6 list. Stasiland was an interesting read too - real insight into life in East Germany. 

I know the story, because I've seen the David Lynch film, but I've never got to the book (even though I have had a copy of the shelf for many years!).

Maybe this will be the year!

On 09/09/2020 at 10:48 AM, Marie H said:

Paperback of manga Dead Dead Demon’s Dededede Destruction #8 - Inio Asano arrived! :exc:

Wow, that's a tongue twister! :lol: 

I'm reading Loch of the Dead by Oscar de Muriel. It's brilliant so far but I haven't had as much reading time as I'd have liked this week. Hoping to finish it over the read-a-thon weekend :) 

19 hours ago, Hayley said:

Wow, that's a tongue twister! :lol:

Definitely! Need to do a copy and paste for that one :D.

Happy reading everyone this weekend :)

Edited by Marie H

I finished Dune last night and overall I enjoyed the experience. I'll write up some more in depth thoughts in my thread in due time but I can't help but wonder how much different I would have found it had I read the physical book instead of the audiobook. I've got about 150 pages to go with Broken Ground by Val McDermid, another absolute corker which I should finish by tonight.

19 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

Just finished Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey and One Little Mistake by Emma Curtis. Both great reads and highly recommend.

I have Elizabeth is Missing on my TBR, I won it in a giveaway a while ago. I'm glad you liked it! I've only heard one other person mentioning it (the person whose giveaway I won, though I didn't intend to participate and just commented because she's an acquaintance/friend :) ).

19 hours ago, Brian. said:

I finished Dune last night and overall I enjoyed the experience. I'll write up some more in depth thoughts in my thread in due time but I can't help but wonder how much different I would have found it had I read the physical book instead of the audiobook. I've got about 150 pages to go with Broken Ground by Val McDermid, another absolute corker which I should finish by tonight.

I'm glad you liked Dune :). I've only ever read the paperbook, as I don't do audiobooks, so not sure how that experience is. I look forward to read your more in depth thoughts on the book in your thread in due time.

This weekend I'm reading graphic novels, graphic memoirs and manga because of the read-a-thon. I've go 3 books planned to start next week, that I'm reading together with 3 friends (1 book with each friend).

• 2 weeks later...

I loved Afternoon Tea At The Sunflower Cafe. This is my third book by Milly Johnson. The characters were great, I especially loved Astrid who was so funny and Brandon. I wish he was in the book a little bit more. 

i am am currently reading Bookends by Jane Green. This is my first read by Jane and I am quite liking it. 

16 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I loved Afternoon Tea At The Sunflower Cafe. This is my third book by Milly Johnson. The characters were great, I especially loved Astrid who was so funny and Brandon. I wish he was in the book a little bit more. 

i am am currently reading Bookends by Jane Green. This is my first read by Jane and I am quite liking it. 

I have both of these on my TBR! I have read a couple of books by Milly Johnson and really liked them, so I'm glad to hear you loved Afternoon Tea at the Sunflower Café! I've read one book by Jane Green which I really liked, so I'm glad you're enjoying Bookends so far!

I'm in the middle of two books at the moment, and both of them I'm reading together with a different friend. The first one is The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, which I think we will finish tomorrow, we started it last week Monday. I'm loving it so far. The second book is Artemis Fowl 6: Artemis Fowl en de tijdparadox (Artemis Fowl and the Time Paradox) by Eoin Colfer, which I'm liking. Since both of those are buddy reads, I'll probably pick another book to read for myself soon. Yesterday I finished Fablehaven 2: Rise of the Evening Star by Brandon Mull, which was a buddy read together with a friend. I also finished The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta (I read that one just on my own).  

Starting the audiobook version of A Man Lay Dead (Roderick Alleyn #1) by Ngaio Marsh. Seems okay, as the plot is good, but the narrator’s voice is a bit annoying.

On 21/09/2020 at 2:46 PM, Athena said:

I have both of these on my TBR! I have read a couple of books by Milly Johnson and really liked them, so I'm glad to hear you loved Afternoon Tea at the Sunflower Café! I've read one book by Jane Green which I really liked, so I'm glad you're enjoying Bookends so far!

I'm in the middle of two books at the moment, and both of them I'm reading together with a different friend. The first one is The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, which I think we will finish tomorrow, we started it last week Monday. I'm loving it so far. The second book is Artemis Fowl 6: Artemis Fowl en de tijdparadox (Artemis Fowl and the Time Paradox) by Eoin Colfer, which I'm liking. Since both of those are buddy reads, I'll probably pick another book to read for myself soon. Yesterday I finished Fablehaven 2: Rise of the Evening Star by Brandon Mull, which was a buddy read together with a friend. I also finished The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta (I read that one just on my own).  

I thoroughly enjoyed Bookends :) I must say the first few chapters were slow getting into the story, but it definitely kept my interest after that. Well I gave it four stars, so must have :D

I am reading Gavin and Stacey from Barry to Billericay by Ruth Jones and James Cordan. I am really loving this. 

On 9/25/2020 at 12:34 AM, Marie H said:

Starting the audiobook version of A Man Lay Dead (Roderick Alleyn #1) by Ngaio Marsh. Seems okay, as the plot is good, but the narrator’s voice is a bit annoying.

Not a Kiwi I hope :lol:

Just finished The Chronicles of St Mary's: A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor and No.4 A Trail Through Time was available as an ebook from the library, so quickly grabbed it.

10 hours ago, poppy said:

Not a Kiwi I hope :lol:

Just finished The Chronicles of St Mary's: A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor and No.4 A Trail Through Time was available as an ebook from the library, so quickly grabbed it.

No, just a posh English accent, but far too hammy. James Saxon apparently, though not a voice I've heard of. Especially when doing a Russian voice; it was like Derek Nimmo trying to do a Russian lisp speech impediment. :wacko: EDIT: Gave up on the audio version, as I've found the Kindle version is on my TBR list. And it's so much better!

Glad you enjoyed Chronicles of St Mary's. I loved A Second Chance, and all the following series (up to 8# so far). Jodi Taylor is a wonderful author. The plots are breathtakingly!

Edited by Marie H

On 9/26/2020 at 9:59 PM, Marie H said:

Glad you enjoyed Chronicles of St Mary's. I loved A Second Chance, and all the following series (up to 8# so far). Jodi Taylor is a wonderful author. The plots are breathtakingly!

She really is! I think A Second Chance is my favourite in the series so far, but I absolutely adored the Frogmorton Farm books.

On 26/09/2020 at 12:01 AM, Lau_Lou said:

I thoroughly enjoyed Bookends :) I must say the first few chapters were slow getting into the story, but it definitely kept my interest after that. Well I gave it four stars, so must have :D

Glad to hear that :)!

September is almost over, I finished reading a book last night, so.. I'm thinking about what book to read next and whether I want to pick something that I can finish before October 1rst and/or before the read-a-thon next weekend. 

• Athena unpinned this topic