Beet Salad Recipe

DannyK

Hello, I thought I'd share my Beet Recipe. This is still a work in progress so feel free to adjust and enjoy accordingly.

First, the beet needs to be cooked. To do so:

1: Buy orange and purple beets with the root greens intact, these are eatable! (Root greens could be substituted with lettuce, etc..).

2: Rip the greens off the beets and save.

3: Preheat oven to 450 F, then cut off the root section of the beet and discard.

4: Place the beets in a hotel pan, root side down (since I cannot provide links, please google "hotel pan". I guess it is also called shallow pan?).

5: Pour in water up until it reaches middle point of the beet (Since all beets vary in size, this is the approximate point of reference. Does not need to be exact).

6: Salt Generously (Quite a lot! and I use Kosher), and add in about 2 tbsp of distilled white vinegar (The vinegar helps the beet retain their natural color).

7: Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in the 450 F oven.

8: Cook for approximately 45 minutes then check the beet for done-ness (Poke the beet with a pairing knife, if it goes in smoothly without tension, it is done!).

9: Once done, take out the pan and the aluminum foil, and let cool slightly. 

10: grab a small clean kitchen towel (Paper towel might work?) then rub the beet lightly to take off the skin (It will be messy!). 

11: Once that is all done, I like to clean up since it gets messy cleaning beets. Then cut the beets in bit size pieces (I could write additional directions on how to cut it if needed).

12: let it fully cool and refrigerate in plastic wrapped container until further need.

Now, time for the root greens and other condiments.

Root Green:

1: Clean the root greens in cold water.

2: Discard the parts that are turning color.

3: Cut the greens into bite size pieces and add to the beets (if done already).

Orange Segments: (Optional, could be considered dangerous.. please youtube orange segments to visualize how it is done)
1: Cut orange on the top and bottom.

2: Cut along the outer wall so the white areas of the orange are cut off.

3: Notice how orange segments are separated by thin walls. The point is to cut the segments out by slicing along the walls, we do not want the thin walls in the salad.

4: The segments can be cut in half if wanted.

Baby Tomatoes

1: Slice in half

You could add sliced or baby carrots, apple slices, sunflower seeds, etc.

For the dressing, I would need to record it when I make it next time.. I had forgot to! But you could use anything slightly sweet! Lots of wonderful recipes out there.

I hope this has some good information! Have a good day.

Oh.. I forgot to add since I do not know how to edit posts!

Peel off or cut the thick veins of the beet greens. Does not need to cut off the whole vein but the thick parts are rather chewy.

Thank you

This sounds good! I know this probably sounds like a stupid question but what are root greens? I tried google but it didn’t help!

(the edit button is at the bottom of your post, next to ‘quote’ and ‘options’, but you might not have enough posts to edit yet). 

15 hours ago, Hayley said:

This sounds good! I know this probably sounds like a stupid question but what are root greens? I tried google but it didn’t help!

(the edit button is at the bottom of your post, next to ‘quote’ and ‘options’, but you might not have enough posts to edit yet). 

Hey Hayley, good morning.

Sorry, I should have said beet greens! If you google "beet" and go to images, it should show beets with the greens still intact!

Have a good day btw!

Oh! If you google root greens it gives you everything from sweet potato to radish! I probably should have worked out you meant the green of the root in the recipe, I thought root greens might be an American term for something!

Thanks, I hope you have a good day too :)