John Grisham

Kell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read most of his novels, love the law related ones. As of October the 10th he will have a new book coming out called "The Innocent Man" sounds like a good one based upon his site. The worst one that I thought was a throw away was the Bleachers. The rest are winners. Per review: John Grisham departs from the legal thrillers to experiment with a character-driven tale of reunion, broken high school dreams, and missed chances. While the book falls short of the compelling storytelling that has made Grisham a bestselling author, it is nonetheless a diverting novella that succeeds as light fiction.

Grisham says that "The Innocent Man" was difficult to write. When he is writing a novel and going well he normally can write 7 or 8 pages a day. However, when writing The innocent Man he was doing about 2 or 3 pages a day. The amount of research he did was significant and he even hired a 3rd year law student from the University of Virginia to help going through all the material. When I get time I will post a few photos of Grisham in his office with the piles of research material.

The subject in the book lived in a town near where Grisham was raised in Mississippi, they were both approx. the same age, and they both had dreams that were similar in making their mark in the world.

Grisham said that he probably would not write anymore books of this type because they are too much hard work. :dunno:

My sister and I went to his talk in Cheltenham on Saturday night. It was really good. He talked all about his new book (which was available to buy there instead of waiting for it to be released tomorrow). He also talked a little about his other books and stuff, but all of it was very interesting. :dunno:

Wow talk about some printouts. I have to hand it to him to do that kind of research to get his novel accurate is to be commended, especially in today's world where many reporters do not get the second backup on a story to make sure of it's accuracy and validity.

• 3 weeks later...

At his talk he said that he found it far harder to write this book as he had to put in a lot more work than he does with his other books. He joked that he wasn't sure if he would do another non-fiction book because of the amount of time that went into it.

• 11 months later...

I would like to apologize for bring up such an old topic, but I find this man so interesting. He is a true inspiration to me and I love his works. Those pictures posted on this thread really really neat.

I found this video about the 'Innocent Man' and I would just like to share it:

I find his voice so cool. I would love to talk to this man.

Not at all - everyone's always welcome to bring up older threads if there's something they want to discuss. I really should read a few more Grishams - I really liked what I read in the ones I have done...

My sister read The Innocent Man earlier this year. She's a big fan of his and said that she really loved this book. She was really impressed that he could write a non-fiction book that was just as gripping and well paced as his novels.

She's not too sure about his new book, though. Playing for Pizza seems a little different from his previous books, but she's still going to give it a go.

I like what Grisham is doing. He writes what he wants. I would rather read something he has passion for, as opposed to something that was forced just to stay within a certain category. I think I might wait until his new book gets introduced in paperback before I drop the money, but I would love to give it a read.

How about The Painted House - that was a real surprise, not at all his usual story. It was a really good read too.

Yep, I agree. Someone had told me that this book was not up to his usual standard at all, and unfortunately, because of that I did not read it. Lately I decided to give it a try, and was pleasantly surprised, as it is a complete different story/structure to his other work that I have read, and which was getting rather predictable to me.

What's The Painted House about?

The back cover reads:

Until that September of 1952, Luke Chandler had never kept a secret or told a single lie. But in the long, hot summer of his seventh year, two groups of migrant workers- and two very dangerous men- came through the Arkansas Delta to work the Chandler cotton farm. And suddenly mysteries are flooding Luke's world. A brutal murder leaves the town seething in gossip and suspicion. A beautiful young woman ignites forbidden passions. A fatherless baby is born...and someone has begun furtively painting the bare clapboards of the Chandler farmhouse, slowly, painstakingly, bathing the run-down structure in gleaming white. And as young Luke watches the world around him, he unravels secrets that could shatter lives- and change his family and his town forever...

Very good read :)

I realise this is going to make me quite unpopular, but I read The Chamber a few years back, and I wasn't especially impressed. I thought Grisham's prose was a bit turgid, and it took him so long to say what he was going to say that I wondered if he was getting paid by the word!

Having said that, I note how highly many people here rate him, so maybe I should wipe the slate clean and have another crack at one of his books.

I realise this is going to make me quite unpopular, but I read The Chamber a few years back, and I wasn't especially impressed. I thought Grisham's prose was a bit turgid, and it took him so long to say what he was going to say that I wondered if he was getting paid by the word!

Having said that, I note how highly many people here rate him, so maybe I should wipe the slate clean and have another crack at one of his books.

LOL it is ok. I respect everyones opinion. Personally I love the man and I find his books amazing. However, The Chamber was not one of his better books. I feel sorry that that was your taste of him. I would recomend you give him a try. Stories like The Painted House, The Firm, The Summons, The Partner, or even his very first book A Time To Kill will all be very good reads. I would suggest you give him another try. You'll like what you find. He is a true master :)

The first book I read of Grisham's was The Firm, and I know it sounds horrid, but was so engrossed in finishing the book that I was reading it at the same time as listening to my sister tell Mum about someone who had laid into her. She was at a party and had been beaten by some girl. We had to pick her up, and I was reading in the car and at home:blush::)