Known Issue June 2020

Hayley

I just wanted to let you all know that there's a small issue I'm aware of which is causing the server to occasionally restart. Most of you probably won't even notice but if you do try to log in and the server is down, it should be back up in less than a minute. I'm working on the solution but it involves digging into all the unused files of our database (which goes back to 2005) so it's going to take a bit of time.

If you do notice any issues while using the forum though I'd appreciate it if you could comment on this thread, just so I can keep an eye on how it's going.

1 hour ago, itsmeagain said:

I had a server fail two days ago, cleared up in minutes.

Some of these ads are not moving when they say removing ad.

It's a small but annoying issue.

Ah, thank you for that! You might have helped me solve a mystery error. Do you use Firefox? 

I've noticed that about the ads too.  Apart from the forum being very slow to load sometimes, I haven't noticed a server issue.

thanks for all your hard work in trying to sort it out!:clapping:

Just to elaborate on the problem; for weeks now when I see the ad upon login,  it gives an option to rate the ad etc.

I click that I want it deleted, it takes ages and  I need to logout and try again.

Hasn't happened this morning.😀

Edited by itsmeagain

What I’m doing now should stop the slow loading. This morning did seem particularly bad and I’m not sure why, I’ll have to do some more investigating.

I’ve disabled all ads temporarily because I noticed, when I was looking into the server issue, that we were getting a recurring error relating to the ads. It’s got nothing to do with the server issue but I need to fix that before I can work out what the ad error was. I suspect, from your comments, that it is something to do with them failing to close. 

I’m really sorry that it’s taking so long. I’m optimising the database that contains everything on the forum, all of the posts and members for over a decade, so I’m being extremely cautious! It should get better every day though so please do let me know about any issues. 

I had noticed the loading problem but several times I was almost done writing an email to you, the forum then loaded fine so I was like.. well okay never mind!

it seems to work a lot better today than last week!

Just got this message trying to load:

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

It's working now though. It's the same message I got a while ago, but then it was loading okay just when I was finishing off writing you an email about it. But, I thought I'd post it here when it happened just now, in case it helps :).

On 26/06/2020 at 9:40 AM, Athena said:

Just got this message trying to load:

It's working now though. It's the same message I got a while ago, but then it was loading okay just when I was finishing off writing you an email about it. But, I thought I'd post it here when it happened just now, in case it helps :).

Thanks! This is actually different to the error message I've seen so that's interesting. What browser are you using?

Question for everyone: Do you think the forum seems to be slower in the morning? Or would you say it happens at random?

I wasn't on to notice this morning because I ended up trying to get through to Severn Trent (our water supplier) for hours... I'm going to get a good few hours of database checking in now though to make up for it. 

Thank you all for being so understanding, I know this is a pain and I wish I knew a way to fix it faster.

Right, update on the issue. Without going into too much detail, I realised yesterday that what I've been doing for the last week just wasn't making enough of a difference to solve the loading issue. I've been on the phone to a really helpful guy from our hosting company this morning and I now have a better idea of what needs to happen. Some of these changes require the site to be offline, which is why the forum will be down for at least a few hours on Tuesday. We also have an update which it makes sense to get done at the same time. 

I'm not sure how long everything will take but I will get us back up and running as quickly as possible. Like I said in the announcement, we do have a forum twitter account (@bookclubforum) and I'll post updates on there while we're down. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience but hopefully it will be worth it!