Marie H's Book Log - ongoing

Yikes, haven’t been in my blog since July! :o

Reading mojo is quite good, mostly reading manga or hearing audiobooks.

Starting Audible today are Ben Aaronovitch’s False Values (Rivers of London #8) and Richard Osman’s The Man Who Died Twice (The Thursday Murder Club #2).

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Alice Oseman’s Loveless. Enjoyable, even that it was an YA novel (not my scene mostly).

From the blurb from Amazon 

Georgia has never been in love, never kissed anyone, never even had a crush –  but as a fanfic-obsessed romantic she’s sure she’ll find her person one day.

As she starts university with her best friends, Pip and Jason, in a whole new town far from home, Georgia’s ready to find romance, and with her outgoing roommate on her side and a place in the Shakespeare Society, her ‘teenage dream’ is in sight.

But when her romance plan wreaks havoc amongst her friends, Georgia ends up in her own comedy of errors, and she starts to question why love seems so easy for other people but not for her. 

I have edited some of the blurb, as I thought that it did spoilt some of the details of the book. Great for lots of characters in the LGBTQ+ community. 5 out of 6.

• 4 weeks later...

Have read/listened 40 books, so far, though my Goodreads challenge of 90 is waaay behind for 2021.

Thankfully, I have really enjoyed most of these books, and only one of them has been a dull reading & was a disappointment (Genevieve Cogman’s The Masked City #2 of the Invisible Library series).

Three audiobooks on the go now

False Value - Ben Aaronovitch 

Old Baggage - Lissa Evans

The Man Who Died Twice - Richard Osman

and all are enjoyable :)

• 3 weeks later...

Finished listening Ben Aaronovitch’s False Value (Rivers of London #8).

It was okay, but this book was the least enjoyable of the series, for me. It didn’t grab my attention, where all other’s had. The previous ones had always had spectacular plot lines, but this one didn’t have the same “wow!” effect. :mellow:

Finished the Rivers of London #8 The Fey & The Furious graphic novel. Quite a good one, 4 out of 5. 

Loving Richard Osman The Man Who Died Twice (Thursday Murder Club #2). The plot is rather ridiculous, but Osman’s offbeat characters and descriptions are wickedly fun. 26% listened.

Starting on The October Man (Rivers of London #7.5) by Ben Aaronovitch - #7.5 being a novella. I’m making sure to be update with the RoL universe, so then after Monday Monday graphic novella, I will be anticipating the Rivers of London #9 Amongst Our Weapons in April 2022. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Reading in 2022

We Are Wolves by Katrina NannestadThe blurb from Waterstones 

“When the Russian Army marches into East Prussia at the end of the Second World War, the Wolf family must flee. Liesl, Otto and their baby sister Mia find themselves lost and alone, in a blizzard, in the middle of a war zone. Liesl has promised Mama that she will keep her brother and sister safe.
But sometimes, to survive, you have to do bad things. Dangerous things. Wild things.
Sometimes to survive, you must become a wolf.

A story of hope, survival and the refugee experience that is both timeless and incredibly timely, and set to become a modern classic.” (Waterstones blurb)

A good book that I really enjoyed. Excellent as a children’s book, as there is some violence in the book, but it is sensitivity handled. Rating 4 and 1/2 out of 5.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading at the moment 

The Mingham Air by Elizabeth Fair

This is very enjoyable, as Elizabeth Fair is a great with gentle humour in 1950s rural England. Fair has been more giving with gentle humour, compared with Angela Thirkell and her Barsetshire novels (Thirkell was a hideous snob and loathed most of the working class, or those with new money)

Sadly, this was Fair’s last novel, and this one may be less interesting, but as the previous five novels were a lovely, cosy read.

10 hours ago, Marie H said:

Reading at the moment 

The Mingham Air by Elizabeth Fair

This is very enjoyable, as Elizabeth Fair is a great with gentle humour in 1950s rural England. Fair has been more giving with gentle humour, compared with Angela Thirkell and her Barsetshire novels (Thirkell was a hideous snob and loathed most of the working class, or those with new money)

Sadly, this was Fair’s last novel, and this one may be less interesting, but as the previous five novels were a lovely, cosy read.

This is one I've been tempted to read, so will definitely get it now!

On 29/01/2022 at 1:55 AM, poppy said:

This is one I've been tempted to read, so will definitely get it now!

This one has improved, for me. Humour with provincial snobbery, it’s really enjoyable. :)

• 1 month later...

The Mingham Air by Elizabeth Fair

Goodreads blurb 

Hester Clifford has come to Mingham to recover from pneumonia, at the invitation of her godmother, Cecily Hutton, an eccentric painter with a predilection for ruins. Hester determines to bring order to the Huttons’ easygoing lives, not to mention those of the villagers—including elderly Mrs. Hyde-Ridley, attempting to enforce her Edwardian standards of behaviour, Mrs. Merlin, the Rector’s wife, equally determined to share the joys of country dance with an unenthusiastic parish, and Thomas Seamark, a classic example of the wealthy, brooding widower. Amidst conflict, manipulation, matchmaking, and general hilarity, Hester clearly has her work cut out for her.

I loved this novel, the last of Elizabeth Fair’s 6 novels, and they have all being enjoyable, with a lovely, gentle humour. None of them are earth shattering novels, but very nice, in a similar way as Barbara Pym, Angela Thirkell, D E Stevenson style. But more with a gentle humour, rather than more acid humour, than these other authors have been.

• 1 year later...
On 12/5/2020 at 2:40 AM, Marie H said:

Finished last night of Vittoria Cottage (The Dering Family #1) by D.E. Stevenson.

Very enjoyable family saga/romantic/post-WW2 novel. Some sparkling wit and the whole book was soothing to read. I have the 2nd & 3rd Kindle versions of The Dering Family, so I look forward to them soon.

Finally got round to reading this one, Marie, and like you I really enjoyed it. Have the second in the series, Music in the Hills, on order from the library.