Marie H's Book Log - ongoing

Reading update is Music in the Hills ( Dering Family #2) by D E Stevenson. At last, I’m enjoying this book, and the characters are better, and plenty to dryish humour.

Read 77% of  The Hanging Tree (Rivers of London #6) by Ben Aaronovitch. Also enjoying this one, but some rather slow in parts, with too much of the details re. police procedure, so it drags on, for me. 

Finished with Rivers of London Vol. 2: Night Witch (Rivers of London graphic novels #2). So now I know what is doing on when Grant, Nightingale et. al. are  talking about when are referring to The Russians. The story was good, and good to know more details about Varvara Sidarovna (the Night Witch from "Broken Homes"). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Audible use for 2020

138 hours, and the most listened month was in February. 

Reading stats for 2020

117 books, with 22,689 pages read.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/01/2021 at 6:18 AM, Athena said:

:clapping:

Happy reading in 2021 :readingtwo:!

On 03/01/2021 at 7:51 AM, Lau_Lou said:

Happy reading :)

On 03/01/2021 at 10:20 AM, Chrissy said:

Happy reading in 2021. :)

On 05/01/2021 at 1:59 PM, Brian. said:

Happy 2021 Marie, I hope your books and life in general are full of joy and happiness.

Sorry that it’s the end of January already, but thank everyone, and I hope you all have a good 2021, and happy reading.

Edited by Marie H
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

Read recently

The Girl in The Tower: (Winternight Trilogy #2) by Katherine Arden, which I really enjoyed the first half, but found the storyline(s) weren’t so good later on because 

Spoiler

I couldn’t get the ideas that Vasya’s brother and sister, both very religious people (especially her brother being a monk) living in medieval Russia, could cope with the concept of Vasya being a witch, though still be not evil.) 

Rivers of London, Volume 4: Detective Stories

(Rivers of London graphic novels #4. Hmm, not bad, but I found this graphic novel not as good as more volumes.

Currently reading  

Rivers of London: Cry Fox: Volume 5 (Rivers of London graphic novels #5). 

The Winter of the Witch (Winternight Trilogy #3) by Katherine Arden 

• 2 weeks later...

My reading mojo is in a lull.

It was doing well, then while reading Wendy Jones’ The World is a Wedding there was a sudden and rather gory description (at a funeral director in the 1920s) that I was horrified by it!

It just seemed to be gratuitous gore. Now I don’t want to go back to the book anymore. :unsure:

So, back to The Winter of the Witch (Winternight Trilogy #3) by Katherine Arden.

• 4 weeks later...

Yay, Ben Aaronovitch’s What Abigail Did That Summer: A Rivers Of London Novella Kindle Edition arrived this morning!

Also, reading Lissa Evans’ Their Finest Hour. I loved the Crooked Heart/Old Baggage/V for Victoriy trilogy. 

I’m now looking forward to a Zoom E-evening with Lissa Evans soon. So lots of books to read now :readingtwo:.

Read 25% of What Abigail Did That Summer so far. It did took a while to get  into Abigail, as the narrator, but it’s a good book. And I love Indigo ❤️😀.

3 hours ago, Marie H said:

Read 25% of What Abigail Did That Summer so far. It did took a while to get  into Abigail, as the narrator, but it’s a good book. And I love Indigo ❤️😀.

I finished it this afternoon; it's very good!

On 21/02/2021 at 3:08 PM, Marie H said:

The Winter of the Witch (Winternight Trilogy #3) by Katherine Arden

I loved this, I was sad when it was over!

On 21/03/2021 at 11:07 AM, Marie H said:

I'm very excited to start. I have a feeling, just from this, that I will also love Indigo :lol:.

20 minutes ago, Hayley said:

'm very excited to start. I have a feeling, just from this, that I will also love Indigo :lol:.

I think you well love this one, as it is really good. And Indigo is wonderful :D. She's a great character.

• 2 months later...

Back to reading again, with a range of read so far

Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London #7) by Ben Aaronovitch - 20%

Another great book, and Aaronovitch is my favourite author at the moment. 

The Royal Tutor by Higasa Akai #103

(Amazon blurb from the episode)

Accepting the post of Royal Tutor at the court of the king of Grannzreich, Heine Wittgenstein is a little professor with a big job ahead! Each of the kingdom's four princes has a rather distinct personality. Does their diminutive new instructor have what it takes to lay down some learning? It's a comedy of educational proportions!

The storylines of this series have been enjoyable, intriguing, hilarious and beautifully illustrated. Highly recommend for a slice-of-life manga. 

This has been a lovely manga series, and #103 is the finale! :unsure: What will I do after this episode?! :mellow: Carry on with Komi Can’t Communicate #6 by Tomohito Oda - 13% read.

This is cute and madcap hilarity, for most of the time. But very cute! And I still have #7-12 to go.

18 hours ago, Marie H said:

The storylines of this series have been enjoyable, intriguing, hilarious and beautifully illustrated. Highly recommend for a slice-of-life manga. 

This has been a lovely manga series, and #103 is the finale! :unsure: What will I do after this episode?! :mellow:

Awww, shame it is finished now :(. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

18 hours ago, Marie H said:

Carry on with Komi Can’t Communicate #6 by Tomohito Oda - 13% read.

This is cute and madcap hilarity, for most of the time. But very cute! And I still have #7-12 to go.

I have read books 1 - 8 and really enjoyed them, I'm glad you're liking the series too :).

8 hours ago, Athena said:

Awww, shame it is finished now :(. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, it’s sad that it’s now finished, but the finale was very good as an ending. :smile:

8 hours ago, Athena said:

Awww, shame it is finished now :(. I'm glad you enjoyed have read books 1 - 8 and really enjoyed them, I'm glad you're liking the series too :).

Komi and Tadano‘s friendship is sweet and cute! 😁

• 4 weeks later...

I haven’t read much recently, just can’t concentrate for long. Finished Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London #7) by Ben Aaronovitch. Again, couldn’t get into this novel until around 70-80%, but they ending was good. I just found that this of the series was very…bitty, with too many plots within plots (and weaved many characters). Though I loved 

Spoiler

Foxglove, and her history with the other fae characters (Molly, The Pale Lady etc.) with other of the series. And the talking foxes and Abigail :smile:

I think I give this a 3.5 out of 5, though I did gave it 4 out of 5 in the Goodreads, as this novel didn’t gave me the WOW factor that the others of the Rivers of London series had previously.

So the next book is Cogheart by Peter Bunzl 

Children's fiction, I think. 
This is the blurb from Fantastic Fiction 

Lily’s life is in mortal peril. Her father is missing and now silver-eyed men stalk her through the shadows. What could they want from her? With her friends – Robert, the clockmaker’s son, and Malkin, her mechanical fox – Lily is plunged into a murky and menacing world. Too soon Lily realises that those she holds dear may be the very ones to break her heart... Murder, mayhem and mystery meet in this gripping Victorian adventure.

Steampunk Victorian London, by the look of it, with mechanical foxes 🦊 

I totally agree with the bits you loved about Lies Sleeping, that was my favourite thing too! (I also always round my ratings up for Goodreads!)

15 hours ago, Marie H said:

Steampunk Victorian London, by the look of it, with mechanical foxes 🦊 

This sounds amazing :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished reading Music in the Hills (Dering Family #2) by D E Stevenson.  

It’s been a slog - started this book in December 2020, and it was a pleasant, cozy plot about a couple farming in rural Scotland (first published in 1950). It’s just not as good as many of her novels; Mrs Tim of the Regiment series is far better. However, as this had been the 2nd of the trilogy, I will read the 3rd novel, just to find out what will happen of the family.

Reading at the mo. is The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles #1) by Elizabeth Jane Howard.

A similar family saga, beginning some years after the end of WW1. 

Listening to Oscar de Muriel’s The Strings of Murder (Frey & McGray Series #1)

Loving it!

Reading 

The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles #1) by Elizabeth Jane Howard

Also loving this one 🙂

I loved the Cazalet Chronicles too, Marie. I've read them all at least twice and watched the TV series a couple of times.

I've just read Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson and enjoyed it immensely. I've ordered Miss Buncle Married from the library and while I'm waiting, I'm reading Mrs Tim Gets a Job :lol: See there's another in the series I haven't read,  Mrs Tim Flies Home.

They're real feel good books, the characters are believable and I love her humour.

I love the Cazelet chronicles too but honestly don't bother with number 5 which she wrote quite some time after the others and is set in the 50s. It's perfectly readable but doesn't have the magic of the previous ones and slightly took the shine off them for me.

On 11/07/2021 at 9:19 AM, poppy said:

I loved the Cazalet Chronicles too, Marie. I've read them all at least twice and watched the TV series a couple of times.

I’m enjoying The Cazalet Chronicles. Somehow I hadn’t read or seen TV of the Cazalets before, though I have bought Kindle books (on the cheap versions) over the years. It’s a pity I hadn’t read them more recently.

19 hours ago, France said:

I love the Cazelet chronicles too but honestly don't bother with number 5 which she wrote quite some time after the others and is set in the 50s. It's perfectly readable but doesn't have the magic of the previous ones and slightly took the shine off them for me.

I have Kindle or Audible 1, 3 & 4, so I’ll probably won’t bother no. 5

The Light Years is really delicious to read! I’ve been keeping quotes, as they are very sharp and witty. Especially this one quote “Nostalgia was comforting, but slippery as an old eiderdown”. 

Edited by Marie H
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoying The Cazalet Chronicles - especially as the characters are in the family’s holidays in the country. Thankfully, the cast of characters is noted in the beginning, as there’s a lots of characters!