Marie H's Book Log - ongoing

On 09/10/2020 at 4:08 PM, Marie H said:

*sigh* My reading mojo is on go slow at the mo. Thankfully, I’m enjoying audiobooks (definitely an escapism from the real world) :hide:

Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony #5 is going really well. I found that the last 2 of the series weren’t as good (The Eternity Code and The Opal Deception). The plots didn’t grab my attention, and the narration by Nathaniel Parker was irritating, and over exaggerated the voices of some of the characters. But this 5th of the series is much better, both plot and narration.

Jodi Taylor - The Nothing Girl (Frogmorton Farm #1) is very quirky, but I’m enjoying it..

I hope your reading mojo gets better soon :hug:!

Yay for an Artemis Fowl book going well :). I've read the first 6 now, book 6 is my favourite, so far. I'm going to read book 7 later this month (and then hopefully book 8 in either November or December). I hope you enjoy(ed) all of book 5 :).

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully my reading mojo has improved, so now I'm enjoying Ngaio Marsh's A Man Lay Dead.

Unfortunately I'm not enjoying the Audible of Jodi Taylor's The Nothing Girl (Frogmorton Farm #1). Finding most of the characters are grating, and the plot in the same irritation :(. 56% listened, but I'm getting to the stage where I'm giving this book a rest, and start something new. Probably the next of the Rivers of London series.

20% listened to Whispers Underground (Rivers of London #3). Another great story and prefect narration by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith.

Also reading The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman, and this one is really good too.

50something % listened to Whispers Underground (Rivers of London #3). Book started well, but there is a lull at the moment. Hoping things get more interesting.

The Thursday Murder Club (50%) is excellent.

Edited by Marie H

Finished listening Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronvitch, I enjoyed it, but slightly less than #1 and #2. Possibly as there were too many new characters for me to get around with ;). But the plots were excellent!! 

Next to listen is Broken Homes (Rivers of London #4) since I'm enjoying the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Richard Osman’s The Thursday Murder Club. Really enjoying this book, though some of the plots became far fetched toward the end. I look forward to the 2nd in the series in September 2021

Now I’ve read 100 books this year, :yahoo:, and it’s been a joy to read (at such a difficult year).

• 3 weeks later...

Read Piranesi by Susanna Clarke recently.

Book blurb

Piranesi's house is no ordinary building: its rooms are infinite, its corridors endless, its walls are lined with thousands upon thousands of statues, each one different from all the others. Within the labyrinth of halls an ocean is imprisoned; waves thunder up staircases, rooms are flooded in an instant. But Piranesi is not afraid; he understands the tides as he understands the pattern of the labyrinth itself. He lives to explore the house.

A very bizarre novella, which I am glad I read it, but it wasn’t that an enjoyable read. I won’t even gave a score of the book, as I can’t really say whether the book was good or bad, or neutral. The whole book is certainly a labyrinth. Though I did love the character of Piranesi! The book of Piranesi could make you love it or loathe it, but it’s certainly different.

Finished listening to Broken Homes (Rivers of London #4) by Ben Aaronovitch last night. It was brilliant!!!

So the next two of the Rivers of London series 5 and 6 are Kindle versions, and after Broken Homes was so good, I’ll just start Foxglove Summer next.

Current readings are:

20% Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch (PC Peter Grant/Rivers of London #5).

Very different change of scenery, with PC Peter Grant in rural Herefordshire.

70% Komi Can’t Communicate 1# - Tomohito Oda 

2% Nature’s Mutiny; How the Little Ice Age Transformed the West and Shaped the Present by Philipp Blom

10 hours ago, Athena said:

I've been enjoying the Komi Can't Communicate manga, are you liking it :)?

Yes, I’m enjoying it, though it took a while to get into the characters. They seem to be a bit....eccentric!. Even the more popular characters in school are eccentric :D.

Really enjoyed Foxglove Summer (PC Peter Grant/Rivers of London #5).

So reading next Tales from the Folly (short stories from Rivers of London series)

Finished last night of Vittoria Cottage (The Dering Family #1) by D.E. Stevenson.

Very enjoyable family saga/romantic/post-WW2 novel. Some sparkling wit and the whole book was soothing to read. I have the 2nd & 3rd Kindle versions of The Dering Family, so I look forward to them soon.

17 hours ago, Marie H said:

Finished last night of Vittoria Cottage (The Dering Family #1) by D.E. Stevenson.

Very enjoyable family saga/romantic/post-WW2 novel. Some sparkling wit and the whole book was soothing to read. I have the 2nd & 3rd Kindle versions of The Dering Family, so I look forward to them soon.

Oooooh ... I'm going to look this one up Marie, sounds good!

After two exciting audiobooks, I think I need something more soothing for listening. So I’ve decided to go for House of Trelawney by Hannah Rothschild. 

Summary

The seat of the Trelawney family for over 800 years, Trelawney Castle was once the jewel of the Cornish coast. Each successive Earl spent with abandon, turning the house and grounds into a sprawling, extravagant palimpsest of wings, turrets and follies.

But recent generations have been better at spending than making money. Now living in isolated penury, unable to communicate with each other or the rest of the world, the family are running out of options. Three unexpected events will hasten their demise: the sudden appearance of a new relation, an illegitimate, headstrong, beautiful girl; an unscrupulous American hedge fund manager determined to exact revenge; and the crash of 2008.

A love story and social satire set in the parallel and seemingly unconnected worlds of the British aristocracy and high finance, House of Trelawney is also the story of lost and found friendships between three women. One of them will die; another will discover her vocation; and the third will find love.

Quite enjoying Hannah Rothschild House of Trelawney. 
Seems to be a modern day version of The Pursuit of Love/I capture the Castle type of novel.

Also recently reading Ben Aaronovitch The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant/Rivers of London #6)

Music in the Hills (Dering Family #2) by D.E. Stevenson seems a little too soothing, as I am falling asleep at this one :lol:. Just a little too twee, at the mo. 

Finished Don’t Tell Alfred by Nancy Mitford, and this means I have finished 

The Penguin Complete Novels of Nancy Mitford. :exc:

I have to admit that the last novel was a slog to finish, and I skimmed through the last third of the novel. Parts of the book were funny, but too much was a farce, rather than a comedy. More bitterness than sweet as a farce, which made me feel that this novel was very disappointing.

On 12/3/2020 at 12:43 PM, Marie H said:

Really enjoyed Foxglove Summer (PC Peter Grant/Rivers of London #5).

So reading next Tales from the Folly (short stories from Rivers of London series)

Good to hear you are enjoying the series. 

A minor warning, I would suggest reading the books in publication order as I suspect there are some spoilers for the later books in Tales from the Folly!

14 hours ago, Raven said:

A minor warning, I would suggest reading the books in publication order as I suspect there are some spoilers for the later books in Tales from the Folly!

Yes, reading Tales from the Folly was a mistake, and I’m trying not to do that again. Especially I’m trying to read the RoV graphic novels, in the right order with the RoV novels, which is nearly bleedin’ impossible! :wacko:

7 hours ago, Marie H said:

Yes, reading Tales from the Folly was a mistake, and I’m trying not to do that again. Especially I’m trying to read the RoV graphic novels, in the right order with the RoV novels, which is nearly bleedin’ impossible! :wacko:

They show the order of the books and the graphic novels at the back of each graphic novel, if that helps!

On 12/13/2020 at 4:41 AM, Marie H said:

Finished Don’t Tell Alfred by Nancy Mitford, and this means I have finished 

The Penguin Complete Novels of Nancy Mitford. :exc:

I have to admit that the last novel was a slog to finish, and I skimmed through the last third of the novel. Parts of the book were funny, but too much was a farce, rather than a comedy. More bitterness than sweet as a farce, which made me feel that this novel was very disappointing.

Well done, Marie! I've read several of hers and her first, The Pursuit of Love is my favourite. Such a fascinating (in a rather awful way) family.

On 13/12/2020 at 10:07 PM, poppy said:

I've read several of hers and her first, The Pursuit of Love is my favourite. Such a fascinating (in a rather awful way) family.

The Mitford Girls were fascinating, but people you hope never meet! Though Deb seemed reasonable in her later years.

Edited by Marie H