Marie H's Book Log - ongoing

4 hours ago, poppy said:

The Pursuit of Love was my favourite too, the Mitford family when the children were young were fascinating. 

Yes, I much enjoyed the part for the children, they were hilarious! I’m going to re-read the book again, because I can hardly remember any of the plots of the adults lives, when I was reading some reviews last night. :blush:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really enjoying listening Rivers of London #1 and Chronicles of St Mary's #7.

Reading Alan Weisman's The World Without Us - it's excellent! Thought scary......:mellow:

Current listening log is

Lies, Damned Lies and History (Chronicles of St Mary's #7) by Jodi Taylor - 25% 

Rivers of London #1 by Ben Aaronovitch - 43%

Loving both!! 

Reading The World Without Us by Alan Weisman - 10%

This is great too.

On 23/08/2020 at 2:53 PM, Marie H said:

Reading Alan Weisman's The World Without Us - it's excellent! Thought scary......:mellow:

I read this some years ago as part of the BCF Group Read, I really liked it too! It was very interesting. It's true, it is scary!

On 8/19/2020 at 4:50 PM, Marie H said:

Re-listening to Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London #1, but boy - I had forgotten just how thrilling and gory it is! :hide:.

Gory? Really? I never really thought of it like that, but I suppose it is in a way... (don't ever read Paul Cornell's Shadow Police series!)

On 04/09/2020 at 8:00 PM, Raven said:

Gory? Really? I never really thought of it like that, but I suppose it is in a way... (don't ever read Paul Cornell's Shadow Police series!)

It didn’t get any more gory, thankfully. I’ll certainly avoid Shadow Police series! Plus I gave up on modern day crime thrillers, it they were too depressing/gory/sadistic for me....:(

Finished listening to Rivers of London last night :). Rivers of London was well worth it, as the plot was incredible, with the urban magic weaved with present day police procedure.

And I’ve found the Moon Over Soho audiobook (mp3 player found behind the bedside table), so I’ll try that one next.

Moon over Soho is one of my favourites in this series, I suppose it can be a little bit gruesome but not that bad.

there are a lot of non gruesome crime thrillers out thee too, Ann Cleeves is very subtle with little description of injuries etc.

20 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Moon over Soho is one of my favourites in this series, I suppose it can be a little bit gruesome but not that bad.

there are a lot of non gruesome crime thrillers out thee too, Ann Cleeves is very subtle with little description of injuries etc.

I really enjoyed Cleeves Shetland series, as the plots were so good that you never expected who the murder. EDIT (Sorry, that was supposed to be murderer)

Edited by Marie H

Audiobook finished with is Going Solo by Ronald Dahl, narrated by Dan Stevens (an excellent narrator).

Book blurb 

The second part of Roald Dahl's extraordinary life story. Here he is grown up: first in Africa, then learning to be a wartime fighter pilot. It is a story that is funny, frightening and full of fantasy - as you would expect.

Wonderfull autobiography, as 23 years old Dahl travels to East Africa, to be employed by Shell Oil. 

The descriptions of other British Colonialism on the ship travelling to Africa, and other European colonists (German, Belgian & Dutch etc.) within East Africa are very sharp, but subtle.

Not long before WW2 begins (which is serious for Dahl, as there are a large number of Germans in the colonies) and he hopes to be an airforce pilot. And boy, he certainly has a incredible experience in the dogfighting against the Germans. 

Though everyone knows that Dahl survived the WW2, from his tales that it had been a horrible experience, and we find out that it was so lucky that he had survived it.

Highly recommended!

I'm glad the audiobook had an excellent narrator! I read Going Solo, and also Boy, some years ago, but I didn't like them as much as I do Roald Dahl's childrens books (which I remember from my youth so nostalgia is a part of my feelings for those books). I'm glad you really liked Going Solo :).

3 hours ago, Athena said:

I'm glad the audiobook had an excellent narrator! I read Going Solo, and also Boy, some years ago, but I didn't like them as much as I do Roald Dahl's childrens books (which I remember from my youth so nostalgia is a part of my feelings for those books). I'm glad you really liked Going Solo :).

I don’t think I saw any of Dahl’s children’s books when I was in primary school (1970s), but I do remember seeing the TV series Tales of the Unexpected in the late 70s/early 80s. It’s just a different era :).

Started the Audible version of Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's #8 And the Rest is History...

And within the first chapter it is full of :eek: and :hide: all ready!! Still the same as far as chapter 6 now.

I'm a emotional wreck :wibbly:, but Jodi Taylor is a wonderful author!! 

Trying to finish Nancy Mitford Don't Tell Alfred, as then I will be done with her novels Penguin. Sadly this last novel is dull, and also most of the characters are irritating me....:(. Must finish it soon!

Finished the audiobook of And the Rest is History (The Chronicles of St Mary’s #8) by Jodi Taylor. 

I won’t do a review (as anything in the book is littered with spoilers), just to say that #8 was the best of the series so far! :D

Finished Ben Aaronovitch’s Moon Over Soho. And I’m so glad that I listened to it, as it was as good as Rivers of London! The plot(s) were great, and the whole of the book seemed to be less chaotic than RoL. 

Looking forward to listen to #3 soon, but after so much excitement with Aaronovitch and Jodi Taylor book recently, I think I’ll find Lissa Evans’ V for Victory next.

Current reading/listening at the mo.

Reading Nancy Mitford Don't Tell Alfred - Only 3 hours to go, and I will be finished with Penguin's Novels of Nancy Mitford.

Maggie O'Farrell Hamnet - Can't seem to get into this book, so far. I'm not giving up on it yet.

Listening to Ngaio Marsh A Man Lay Read - Enjoying the plot, but the narration is getting worse....but I will carry on.

Just finished listening the Audible version of Lissa Evans' V for Victory.

Book blurb from Fantastic Fiction

It’s late 1944. Hitler’s rockets are raining down on London with vicious regularity and it’s the coldest winter in living memory. The Allies are gaining ground, but victory is certainly dragging its feet.

In a large house next to Hampstead Heath, Vee Sedge is barely scraping by with a herd of lodgers to feed and her young charge Noel, almost fifteen now, to clothe and educate. When she witnesses an accident and finds herself in court, the repercussions are both unexpectedly marvelous and potentially disastrous. Because Vee is not actually the person she’s pretending to be, and neither is Noel.

This was another excellent novel, and I think that Evans is one of my favourite authors now. Evans is just pipped at the post by Jodi Taylor, but they both have wonderful plots, and great characters. The characters are slightly quirky, but they are usually good people, though many people have been taking advantage of situations during the Blitz.

6 out of 6

This is the 3rd of a trilogy (1# Crooked Heart and 2# Old Baggage) and they are just as good too.

Two hardback books arrived :wub:

A Life on Our Planet - My Witness Statement and a Vision for the Future by David Attenborough 

and

Fangs by Sarah Andersen (author of Sarah’s Scribbles). Graphic novel about “a love story between a vampire and a werewolf”.

*sigh* My reading mojo is on go slow at the mo. Thankfully, I’m enjoying audiobooks (definitely an escapism from the real world) :hide:

Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony #5 is going really well. I found that the last 2 of the series weren’t as good (The Eternity Code and The Opal Deception). The plots didn’t grab my attention, and the narration by Nathaniel Parker was irritating, and over exaggerated the voices of some of the characters. But this 5th of the series is much better, both plot and narration.

Jodi Taylor - The Nothing Girl (Frogmorton Farm #1) is very quirky, but I’m enjoying it..