Marie H's Book Log - ongoing

It's being a while since I has a book log (two or three years).

Since have plenty of time on my hand, and there are a few great books that I've read in 2020, I would like to review some of them.

For the moment, this is the list of particularly good reads I've had in 2020.

Lonely Courage: The True Story of the SOE Heroines Who Fought to Free Nazi-Occupied France - Rick Stroud

The Other Bennet Sister - Janice Hadlow

The Pied Piper - Nevil Shute

Edited by Marie H

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current listening list 

Eoin Colfer - The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl #3)

Reading list

The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband #2) 

The English Air by D.E. Stevenson

I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (I Want To Eat Your Pancreas (Manga) #1-2)

by York Sumino, 

Finished listened to The Eternity Code by Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl #3). I really enjoyed this one, and it will be interesting how the next of the series will be.

Starting the audiobook The Opal Deception (Artemis Fowl #4) by Eoin Colfer.

Currently listening to The Revolving Door of Life (44 Scotland Street #10) by Alexander McCall Smith.

Loving this one, and the narrator David Rintoul is excellent; although I think that some non-Scottish listeners could have some difficulty following the narrative!

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly finished reading The Dam Keeper; a great book,and the illustrations are wonderful, but the storyline is not what I was expecting.....much more sinister than I thought it would be. And there are 2 of the series too! (though they are a bit expensive, so I'm trying to decide whether to buy them or not.) :unsure:

Finished reading The English Air by D E Stevenson.

I really enjoyed this one, though I was expecting it to be a rather frothy romance, but it was much more serious consequences with the characters, and the plot with the beginning of WW2. A really good book in the end. :)

Starting with Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.

Delivery of The Promised Neverland #15 by Kaiu Shirai. I’m so excited :exc:as it seems to be ages for the publishing date.

I see to have got a range of books on the go, especially as there is very little else to do, apart from read in the shade. Thankfully, the weather is heading for a cool breeze and showers phase.

So my reading list is

The Blessings - Nancy Mitford (50%)

Where the Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens (4%)

Eastern Horizons; Hitchhiking The Silk Road - Levison Wood (6%)

• 2 weeks later...

Current readings

Don't Tell Alfred - Nancy Mitford (set aside for the mo. Seemed good at the beginning, though I started to flip pages as the dialogue was dull and never ending....*yawn*)

BEASTARS Vol 1  - Paru Itagaki 

Manga. An animal version of style of possibly 50s Preppy, US style academy. Sparsely artwork, but at the same time beautifully done. An herbivore student is brutally murdered, could it be that the culprit be one of the carnivore students?

Weird stuff, but captivating! And 5 volumes to buy, I think :).

Chapter 1 read of Half a King - Joe Abercrombie.

Different style of genre for me, but I think its time for less of the English in the WW2 theme, for the time being.

Edited by Marie H

• 2 weeks later...

55% read of Half a King. Really enjoying this, and the elibrary has the next 2 & 3 as well :).

I did started the Audible of A Thousand Ships by Natalie Hayes, but the author's narration was incredibly difficult to get into (basically her voice is so dull, I just can't listen to it). :mellow:

So back to Alexander McCall Smith's The Revolving Door of Life again.

61% read of Half a King. 

How much tension can there be in this book, when I’m still only just over half read! :wacko:

For something more lighter reading, I usually pick up a P G Wodehouse Blanding Castle novel in the summer, but I think I’ll start with different this time with Laurie Lee’s Red Sky at Sunrise, and re-read Cider With Rosie. Haven’t read that on since secondary school.

6 hours ago, Marie H said:

61% read of Half a King. 

How much tension can there be in this book, when I’m still only just over half read! :wacko:

Thanks for the warning! I won’t read this if I need to relax! Are you still enjoying it though? 

20 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thanks for the warning! I won’t read this if I need to relax! Are you still enjoying it though? 

Nah, it’s just me being a wuss...:blush:. But I’m still enjoying the book, and there’s a fast moving storyline, so it’s exciting all the time! I’m now avoiding readings just before bedtime....:lol:.

Just finished reading Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. And what a corker of a book!

Our main character, Prince Yarvi, was born with disability with limited use of one of his hands, so not to be a warrior, so Yarvi is seen as weak in the community. Instead, he is training at a Minister, sort of a herbalist, but also a diplomat in the community. So the night before the examination for his Minister (which would mean that he would become a sort of monk) the news that his father and brother have been killed, and that Yarvi is King!

But now he must be going into battle, and it seems that his brother and father were murdered by traitors......

Gosh, this was a page turner, with great characters, and plenty of pithy humour. I'm glad that there were plenty of good female characters, both goodies and baddies.

You'll never get a dull moment in this novel, and I felt like :o,:eek:,:hide: and plenty of :haha: too.

So would definitely recommend this one, as it was a great book. 6 out of 6!

Current reading 

Hamnet - Maggie O’Farrell 2% (for some reason I just start to read at bedtime, but after a couple of pages, and I just getting sleepy 😑)

Don't Tell Alfred - Nancy Mitford 50ish%. This is a slog, and I loathe almost every character in the book! The last of Mitford’s novels, and the least enjoyable one too :(.

A World Without Us - Alan Weisman

Started this book in (I think) 2015, but I have now be re-reading. And so far in the first chapter, I can’t remember a single things of it! :o:giggle2:. But I’m really enjoying it!

15 hours ago, Marie H said:

A World Without Us - Alan Weisman

Started this book in (I think) 2015, but I have now be re-reading. And so far in the first chapter, I can’t remember a single things of it! :o:giggle2:. But I’m really enjoying it!

I read this book a few years ago too and I really liked it as well. Happy (re)reading :)!

• 2 weeks later...

My reading mojo is sluggish at the mo. but I’m listening audiobooks instead :).

Really enjoying re-listening to  Rivers of London #1 and Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's #7).

On 8/8/2020 at 4:17 AM, Marie H said:

Current reading 

Don't Tell Alfred - Nancy Mitford 50ish%. This is a slog, and I loathe almost every character in the book! The last of Mitford’s novels, and the least enjoyable one too :(.

Which of hers did you enjoy, Marie? They're a fascinating family, none particularly likeable with Pamela perhaps being the exception.

10 hours ago, Marie H said:

My reading mojo is sluggish at the mo. but I’m listening audiobooks instead :).

I've been doing the same :)

17 hours ago, poppy said:

Which of hers did you enjoy, Marie? They're a fascinating family, none particularly likeable with Pamela perhaps being the exception.

My favourite is The Pursuit of Love. I can hardly remember the plots of most of the novels now! And it’s only 2016 when I started them :blush:.

Wigs on the Green was quite good; Nancy used the characters from Unity and Diana and their right wing leanings!

I liked Jessica, as she went the complete opposite way politically! But I don’t think I would have liked to meet any of the Mitford girls :D

Re-listening to Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London #1, but boy - I had forgotten just how thrilling and gory it is! :hide:.

Also listening to Jodi Taylor’s #7 of Chronicles of St Mary’s Lies, Damned Lies, and History. And it’s another hilarious mad scape! I don’t know how Jodi Taylor manages to think of these plots- they are incredibly creative, with the smart arse humour at the say time :D.

13 hours ago, Marie H said:

My favourite is The Pursuit of Love. I can hardly remember the plots of most of the novels now! And it’s only 2016 when I started them :blush:.

Wigs on the Green was quite good; Nancy used the characters from Unity and Diana and their right wing leanings!

I liked Jessica, as she went the complete opposite way politically! But I don’t think I would have liked to meet any of the Mitford girls :D

The Pursuit of Love was my favourite too, the Mitford family when the children were young were fascinating. 

12 hours ago, Madeleine said:

There's going to be a new TV version of The Pursuit of Love.

Will have to look out for this!