Francesca

Hello, this is Fran. I just joined!

Hi everyone and thank you for having me!

I like classics above all the rest, be it fiction or non-fiction. Open to suggestions for good biographies and historical books. I am not interested in contemporary authors at the moment (apart from those who wrote good biographies and historical books). I will barely manage to read all the classics anyways. I used to read at a great pace when I was a kid, university slowed me down and PhD had me finish The Pickwick Papers in sth like one year and a half. Now that I am done with it I feel very lonely though. 

I will be very happy to discuss my current reads and the books I can remember enough about. I am also keen to discuss and learn more about classic authors' lives and their take on their own work.

Particularly fond of and recommend to everyone: Italo Calvino, Valerio Massimo Manfredi, Roald Dahl, Terry Pratchett, Terry Pratchett, Terry Pratchett, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, the Stoics.

Currently reading: The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. It reminds me of a lovely comic book adaptation I had at my grandma’s.

So you like Terry Pratchett then?!  Can't say I blame you; a top chap!

Oh, and welcome, by the way!

Welcome here!

I love Terry Pratchett too! I have read I think just under half of the books I own by him. I've read about half of the Discworld series, all of which I loved except 1 book that I stopped reading halfway through because I wasn't enjoying it (Carpe Jugulum, Discworld 23. I loved books 1 - 22). I also loved his Johnny Maxwell books. The Carpet People was a nice read, but not one I loved as much as I do his other books.

Hi Fran, welcome to the forum! 

I love Terry Pratchett too, the Discworld books are the ones I always turn to when things are stressful. I also have The Wind in the Willows on my shelf, I hope you enjoy it!

Hello Fran, and :welcome:  to the BCF :smile:.

I love Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and the Stoics, especially Epicurus.