I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

angerball

Guest fireball
I saw the film last week and really enjoyed it. I'm very interested in reading the book now, just to compare with how the story should have been told and how it should have ended.
Lilywhite, did you see perchance the 'original' film version from 1964, staring the late and great Vincent Price. And a somewhat restrained acting on his part too...to his credit, and he wasn't half bad too.

see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058700/ for details, and if it shows up on TV give it look, you might just be surprised by it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen the film which I found rather disturbing but also quite compelling and there were aspects I wanted to know more about that the film didn't go into that I would hope would come into the book. Therefore having read this thread I am going to put it onto my TBR list!

I am glad to hear some of you have seen 'The Omega Man', it is one hilarious movie, which I know it was not intended to be, but some of the scenes do make me chuckle, it was the head mutant Matthias for me played by Anthony Zerbe (who very recently was in 'The Matrix Reloaded' and 'The Matrix Revolutions', he played Councillor Hamann. Matthias was hilarious, very over the top character, but Charlton Heston who played Robert Neville was really over the top too.

:welcome:

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who utterly loves the book - the simplicity of it and also at the time an utterly unique take on the vampire genre, I found the new version of the film to be lacking a little. I was disappointed that they changed so much of the story, but having said that I thought Will Smith was excellent as Robert Neville - his desperately lonely portrayal of a man slipping towards madness was a career best I think.

As well as The Omega Man, the first adaption of the book was Vincent Price's The Last Man on Earth - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058700/. For me, that remains the most faithful adaption. As has already been said, Heston's Omega Man was a little laughable and again very different from the book. Will Smith's was more a remake of Omega Man than a faithful adaption of the book.

• 1 month later...

hi everyone

picked this up the other day after spending a long time in Foyles wandering the racks as you do and looking at their brilliant collection of obscure foreign authors etc before settling for I Am Legend and feeling slightly ashamed of myself because I don't buy film tie-in books never mind ones with Will Smith on the cover (Is he a snob, or what? you ask - yes I am, possibly) - pleased to say that up to p62 I'm enjoying it - also good to see that Hollywood got their casting right with good ol' Will since the novel's 'hero' has blue eyes and is of 'English-German stock'...think I'll give that a miss.

Hi Slim - welcome to the forum. I saw the film first then read the book and the two should really be taken as seperate entities in my opinion. I enjoyed the book more which is excellent sci-fi/fantasy/horror writing and very compulsive. So much is different in the film you would probably find it really annoying unless you were prepared to accept them as different - e.g. the film is set in Manhatten, New York!

• 4 months later...

I attempted to read this book once while I was at a pretty low point in my life and didn't make it very far in before pretty much having a panic-attack. It sounds so silly now, but I think it was the descriptions of his lonliness and longing that got to me. I still want to read it, but its definitely not at the top of my list..

• 2 weeks later...

Title: I am Legend

Author: Richard Matheson

published: 1954/1995

my views: I completely loved this book! I wasn't actually made aware that it was a book until a few months back after the film was released. I adored the film, but reading the book was equally as interesting and possibly even more fun. I was expecting it to be almost identical to the film, although it actually only seems to have the same underlying base-story. It's definately worth a read if you're in to sci-fi/horror and is a really good light read. It conatins only around 300 pages. I couldn't put this book down. It was one which just gripped my attention and refused to let go. I wouldn't usually go for books which contained vampires as I've never got on with them, but this book handles them in such a different non run-of-the-mill way that I found it really enjoyable.

Plot: Robert Neville is supposedly the last man on earth. A bacteria had caused the illness and death of the majority of the poulation, including Nevilles wife and child. But unless burnt, the dead don't stay dead for long. They soon turn into light hating vampires. Although, there's 2 types of vampires: the dead and the semi-living. Neville kills off both kinds, thinking he is doing his bit to rid the world of this evil. We see his emotions rise and fall throughout and witness his high points aswell as his low points. He decides to do some research in an attempt to find a cure for this illness the bacteria has caused, yet never manages to find one. He eventually gets killed by a new society-the semi dead have found a way to live relatively normally with the use of a tablet. They feel threatened by the last true, living man on earth and so, heis executed.

marks out of ten: 9.5

best points: Personally, i loved the creepier parts, such as when his dead wife (who he refused to burn) appears on his doorstep. I also find the part with the dog really heart wrenching.

worst points: It's wrong to say 'worst' points, since I found it all good, but there were a few not so good parts.I didn't like the way in which his past friend was presented-it was a little confusing since he was supposed to be one of the only half dead and only seemed capable of limited speech, yet when one of the half dead attempts to befriend Neville she is 100% capable of speech and normal human movement. If everyone was either dead or half dead how did they develop a pill?

perhaps that's over analysing, but it did make me wonder if he'd thought it through!

I hope you all give it a go and have a read. In my opinion it's well worth it =)

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread, please take a few minutes to search.. thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have just finished this off last night, and it really is a superb book, I saw the Will Smith movie when it came out and thought it was pretty good, but i'm again proved right that a movie is never anything on the book (The English Patient being the exception that proves the rule! :welcome2:).

This is only my second ever adult 'vampire novel' the first being Dracula, which I only finished on Saturday and I must say, if your someone who thinks 'oh its some sci-fi/horror novel I won't read it.' This is the book to change your mind.

The storys been gone over fairly well in this thread, but I will add that some points are just amazing especially towards the end, and the last page-ish is some of the best writing ever, especially the last line, 'tis wonderful! (Now on to Mary Shelleys' The Last Man... (If I point out that my book before Dracula was Frankenstein, can you see a recent pattern in my reading :lol)

• 2 weeks later...

My First post!

I actually loved this story. I had my doubts before I read it because of how old it is, didn't think it would hold up, but it does. It's leaps and bounds better than any of the incarnations of movies they have done.

The intensity at some points was just surprising.

Matheson paints an amazing picture here. If you haven't read it, you should!

• 4 years later...