I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

angerball

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Angerball!

I am reading 'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson and it is one of my all-time favourite books! The book has been made into two movies already, 'The Last Man on Earth' and 'The Omega Man'.

Great story, Robert Neville, the main character is brilliant, Richard Matheson manages to get across the feeling of isolation brilliantly.

Hope you read this real soon. x

Hope you read this real soon. x

I just finished it tonight. :readingtwo: Are either of those movies worth watching? I can't see how a movie could follow the book closely, unless it's quite short.

I liked it; I'd heard plenty about it, and the movie coming out got me interested in it. I thought the chapter about

the dog was so sad, though. I liked the idea of the dog being his companion, and was shocked when it died. :readingtwo:

Brilliant!

I know what you mean about that part, it was so sad :readingtwo:

I have never seen 'The Last Man on the Earth' Anger but I have seen 'The Omega Man' which you should just watch for the whole comedic performance by Charlton Heston!:readingtwo:

The Last Man on Earth (1964)

The Omega Man (1971)

I am Legend (2007)

I read that the latest version starring Will Smith is going to have a very Hollywood ending and the film is due for release here on the 21st December, and I am so looking forward to seeing it.

:blush:

Thanks for the links, Gyre; I will check them out later. I was looking at I Am Legend on IMDB, trying to suss out the ending, but no luck. I hear so many mixed views. I do hope they stick to the book ending, otherwise it would kind of defeat the purpose of the book and the title.

Adam, it's a super short read - I read it in a day.

Thanks for the links, Gyre; I will check them out later. I was looking at I Am Legend on IMDB, trying to suss out the ending, but no luck. I hear so many mixed views. I do hope they stick to the book ending, otherwise it would kind of defeat the purpose of the book and the title.

Adam, it's a super short read - I read it in a day.

I hope they stick to the same ending as the book too Anger, it just wouldn't be the same movie I think. :readingtwo:

I have watched 'The Omega Man' so many times and it still makes me chuckles, especially the mutants, they are so fab (and fashion conscious) x

• 4 weeks later...
Guest fireball

a.book.in.the.life, IT WILL as it WAS (the book) written in 1954.! Though with THAT said I did find it interesting, I'm looking forward to reading the book that I, some hours ago, bought.:lol:

Guest fireball

It hasn't aged at all well, bit like ITV of old, showing what came to called in my then house "11 o'clock Movie" (thrown out of pub evening!!) AGAIN.! Even sober the 11 o'clock movie was b'lo'o'd'y dire.! H'e'l'l even the dubbed ones were euuuuuch.!

But yes, The Omega Man is pretty awful, isn't he the bloke who played Moses. :friends0: I think he was. :D:lol:

I read the book first several years ago as I am a bit of a vampire/horror freak. The book is brilliant. Absolutely fantastic. It seems to have aged well considering it was written in 1954. Then, unfortunately, I went to see the film and was sorely disappointed. The film was nowhere near as good as the book and they had changed several of the key elements of the plot.

I saw the film last week and really enjoyed it. I'm very interested in reading the book now, just to compare with how the story should have been told and how it should have ended.

The book Lilywhite is a classic and I hope you get the chance to read it. I am hopefully going to see the film next weekend. :lol: