Your Book Activity - April 2020

I finished Many Lives, Many Masters, and really enjoyed it.  Lots to think about.

I've just started Journey of Souls by Michael Newton, Ph.D., which follows a similar theme.

Also still reading The Longest Journey by E.M. Forster.  I'm quite liking it so far, but am barely 70 pages in.

Completed The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton.  A humungous book which I put down a few weeks ago around half way through (just too many books piling up for book groups etc), and to which I returned at the end of last week.  Very complex, rich and demanding.  Grew and grew on me. One I will almost certainly return to.  5/6 (Excellent).

16 hours ago, willoyd said:

Completed The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton.  A humungous book which I put down a few weeks ago around half way through (just too many books piling up for book groups etc), and to which I returned at the end of last week.  Very complex, rich and demanding.  Grew and grew on me. One I will almost certainly return to.  5/6 (Excellent).

Fantastic book, glad you enjoyed it.

I am just about to start reading The Topeka School by Ben Lerner. I came across an article by Lerner in the New Yorker today and after some googling came across some interesting reviews of the book so thought I'd give it a go.

Starting with Witch Hat Atelier #2 - Kamome Shirahama (manga) with magic for young girls at a boarding school - and the artworks are so beautiful! 

Two books finished today: 

The Seafarers by Stephen Rutt, a journey around British islands focusing on different species of seabirds - a cross between Amy Liptrot's The Outrun and Adam Nicolson's The Seabird's Cry - perhaps not quite as good as either (both scored 6/6 with me), but still an excellent read (5/6).

Harpole and Foxberrow, General Publishers by JL Carr.  The man was pure genius - a gloriously funny look at the book industry, Carr's invariably short books pack are brilliantly crafted with not a word wasted. One of my all-time favourite writers.  5/6.

Reading has become a bit of a struggle this past week or two, so I am popping in and out of various reference books (an art book, local history, and British kings and queens)  and some old magazines I had been given months ago. This will keep me ticking over until my reading impulse returns. 

On 04/05/2020 at 10:42 AM, Chrissy said:

Reading has become a bit of a struggle this past week or two, so I am popping in and out of various reference books (an art book, local history, and British kings and queens)  and some old magazines I had been given months ago. This will keep me ticking over until my reading impulse returns. 

I expected to be reading more, with things the way they are, but I am only just about to finish my first book in over a month - and that's not a reflection on the book, which overall I have enjoyed!

Finished A Tale of Two Cities.  After the relative disappointment of The Old Curiosity Shop, this was a return to some of the best of Dickens.  Absolutely cracking read.  Easy 5/6, might get nudged up to a full 6 once I've sat on it for a while.

Now on to Graham Greene's Travels With My Aunt.

Edited by willoyd