Do You Like to 'Like'?

Hayley

As many of you will have noticed, the 'like' button is currently back. It should show up as a heart at the bottom right of any post other than your own. You can simply click the heart to 'like' the post or, if you hover over the heart, there are also options to laugh or say thanks. I think it might be a nice way to show appreciation for a post even when you don't have anything you want to add to that thread.

So, two questions:

1) Can everybody see the heart button?

2) What do you think of the ability to 'like' each others posts? Do you like it, or is there any reason you think it might not work / be used? (It's very easy to switch on and off so it's not a problem to change if you all don't particularly like it).

Let me know what you think :) 

Ah, I forgot to say, you'll also notice a number under your profile picture which, if you hover the mouse over it, says 'member's total reputation'. That is another feature of the 'like' function and basically the more 'likes' (or laughs, or thanks) you get on your post, the higher your reputation gets. Just like the 'number of posts' counter, really. 

I can't see it, but I don't think it's a particularly good idea anyway.  If a new member begins to post and they don't get likes for whatever reason, then it leads to hurt feelings, and they disappear for good.  Likewise for long-term members, if they see trivial posts getting likes, but their own well thought-out posts getting no attention, it can lead to resentment.  Just my observation from other forums.

It could affect how people behave in the forum, someone could choose not to continue a conversation because they feel ostracized for having a different opinion. It's also a confusing element for people with different mental dispositions, because the number of likes and how to obtain them isn't something one can control or logically understand. So I don't think it works either.

I think I had accidentally set it so only moderators could see it, so sorry about that! Based on the above responses I'm going to turn it off anyway as I wouldn't want anybody to be upset about getting (or not getting) 'likes' on their posts. 

Thanks for all your replies!

I think most people are familiar with "likes" these days, and it's not as though new members seem to be sticking around anyway.

The way I look at it is that it is a way of acknowledging a post without typing up a full reply, where maybe one isn't actually required anyway.

Edited by Raven
Too many words....

• 5 months later...