Sign in to follow this  
muggle not

2020 - Muggle Not's Reading

Outlander – Diana Gabaldon – 3/5 – I know this was a hit but just isn’t my style.

Sword of Kings  - Bernard Cornwell – 3.5/5 – enjoyable as usual with his books

Small Spaces – Katherine Arden – 3/5 – enjoyable for a middle age kids book

The Old Curiosity Shop – Charles Dickens – 4/5 good read but noe one of his better books

The Last Widow – Karin Slaughter – 3.5/5 – another good read but not her best

Dead Voices – Katherine Arden – 3/5 – Another book for middle age kids. Scary but probably not quite as good as Small Spaces. This will be a series that Arden will keep on writing. It involves 3 kids, Ollie, Cody, and Brian, and they are involved with ghosts and/or a bad person that is nicknamed Smiley.

I hope you get some nicer reads soon, there's a lot of 3's and 3.5's in your post! Which isn't bad.. but some more 4's and 5's would be even more enjoyable :).

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you get some nicer reads soon, there's a lot of 3's and 3.5's in your post! Which isn't bad.. but some more 4's and 5's would be even more enjoyable :).

You are correct, I haven't had a really, really good book this year so far. :)

22 hours ago, muggle not said:

The Old Curiosity Shop – Charles Dickens – 4/5 good read but noe one of his better books

It's certainly the weakest that I've read so far. Rated it 3/6, whereas most Dickens I've read has had at least a 5 (Bleak House, David Copperfield full out sixes).  I enjoyed the thread that followed Kit, Quilp was a pretty good villain, and there were some enjoyably Dickensian characters, but I found Little Nell and Grandfather such hard work.  Dickens is just hopeless with young women - over-sentimental slush - and to have her at the heart of the book put all the problems at the centre of the novel. 

1 hour ago, willoyd said:

It's certainly the weakest that I've read so far. Rated it 3/6, whereas most Dickens I've read has had at least a 5 (Bleak House, David Copperfield full out sixes).  I enjoyed the thread that followed Kit, Quilp was a pretty good villain, and there were some enjoyably Dickensian characters, but I found Little Nell and Grandfather such hard work.  Dickens is just hopeless with young women - over-sentimental slush - and to have her at the heart of the book put all the problems at the centre of the novel. 

You pretty much put it in words for me. Dickens writing was good except the storyline left me wanting as I found it hard to get interested in much of the book.

8. A Minute to Midnight - David Baldacci - 4 - This is the second book in a new series by Baldacci and I like the main character, a female in the FBI.

7. The Guardian - John Grisham - 3.5