2020 - Muggle Not's Reading

muggle not

Outlander – Diana Gabaldon – 3/5 – I know this was a hit but just isn’t my style.

Sword of Kings  - Bernard Cornwell – 3.5/5 – enjoyable as usual with his books

Small Spaces – Katherine Arden – 3/5 – enjoyable for a middle age kids book

The Old Curiosity Shop – Charles Dickens – 4/5 good read but noe one of his better books

The Last Widow – Karin Slaughter – 3.5/5 – another good read but not her best

Dead Voices – Katherine Arden – 3/5 – Another book for middle age kids. Scary but probably not quite as good as Small Spaces. This will be a series that Arden will keep on writing. It involves 3 kids, Ollie, Cody, and Brian, and they are involved with ghosts and/or a bad person that is nicknamed Smiley.

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope you get some nicer reads soon, there's a lot of 3's and 3.5's in your post! Which isn't bad.. but some more 4's and 5's would be even more enjoyable :).

You are correct, I haven't had a really, really good book this year so far. :)

22 hours ago, muggle not said:

The Old Curiosity Shop – Charles Dickens – 4/5 good read but noe one of his better books

It's certainly the weakest that I've read so far. Rated it 3/6, whereas most Dickens I've read has had at least a 5 (Bleak House, David Copperfield full out sixes).  I enjoyed the thread that followed Kit, Quilp was a pretty good villain, and there were some enjoyably Dickensian characters, but I found Little Nell and Grandfather such hard work.  Dickens is just hopeless with young women - over-sentimental slush - and to have her at the heart of the book put all the problems at the centre of the novel. 

1 hour ago, willoyd said:

It's certainly the weakest that I've read so far. Rated it 3/6, whereas most Dickens I've read has had at least a 5 (Bleak House, David Copperfield full out sixes).  I enjoyed the thread that followed Kit, Quilp was a pretty good villain, and there were some enjoyably Dickensian characters, but I found Little Nell and Grandfather such hard work.  Dickens is just hopeless with young women - over-sentimental slush - and to have her at the heart of the book put all the problems at the centre of the novel. 

You pretty much put it in words for me. Dickens writing was good except the storyline left me wanting as I found it hard to get interested in much of the book.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

11. Witch Is When It all Began - Adele Abbott - 3.5

12. Walk The Wire - David Baldacci - 4/5

13. The Nature of the Beast (A Chief Inspector Gamache Book) - Louise Penny - 4/5- good read. book 11 of the series

14. A Great Reckoning (A Chief Inspector Gamache book) - Louise Penny - 4/5 - another good read

15. The preacher  (A Mountain Man book) - William J. Johnstone - 3/5 - ok read

On 6/15/2020 at 8:58 AM, Athena said:

Hi Muggle, I hope you are doing okay! I haven't read any of your recently read books, but I thought I'd say hi :).

Thank you. How has you reading year been? Mine has been ok but not fantastic.. :(

On 16/06/2020 at 4:49 PM, muggle not said:

Thank you. How has you reading year been? Mine has been ok but not fantastic.. :(

Awww. Mine has been reasonably nice. Though because of having bought a house and moving over the summer, I'm spending less time reading than I used to, and more time doing up the house and packing things.

• 4 weeks later...

16. Witch Is When Life Got Complicated - Adele Abbott - 3/5 

17. Kingdom of the Blind - Louise Penny - 4/5

18. A Better Man - Louise Penny - 4/5 - This was book 15 of the series and I have now read all of them. Obviously, I enjoy the writing of Louise Penny and look forward to her next book.

• 2 weeks later...

19. Last of the Name - Rosanne Parry - 4/5 - a young sister and her brother immigrate to the U.S. during the time of the U.S. Civil war. Story of how difficult it was for immigrants to survive in those times. Good read.

20. A Wolf Called Wander - Rosanne Parry 4/5- A story of a wolf written from a wolf's perspective. The wolf describes his life in the wild and the journeys he takes. Based somewhat on the travels of an actual wolf that was tracked for a period of approx. 10 years. Truly enjoyable reading.

Edited by muggle not

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 7:36 AM, Athena said:

Hi Muggle Not! Are you now rating books out of 10 instead of 5? Your last 3 books were all 4 / 10, that's not a high rating :(, I hope your next read will be more enjoyable!

Thanks Athena. Old age must be getting to me. :) I have corrected the ratings.

22. If It Bleeds - Stephen King - 4.5/5 - The writing was excellent and I would rate it a 5. The stories just a little less with a 4.5. This book consisted of 4 short stories, but not too short. I really liked the story "Mr. Harrington's Phone" as well as the Holly Gibney story.

• 3 weeks later...

23. A Private Cathredal - James Lee Burke - A Dave Robicheaux novel - 4/5 - Pretty good story and very good writing. Burke's writing has improved 100% from his first books, and the writing back then was pretty good.

24. All The Devils Are Here - Louise Penny - 4/5 - Good book of the Inspector Gamache series. this time though it takes place in Paris as opposed to most other books that are in Three Pines, Canada.